Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish to close 300 Blockbuster stores

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   sat01

sat01

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

these types of stores are a dying breed. they should get rid of the stores and switch to something like red box and/or netflix but also keep the channels on the network too.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

these types of stores are a dying breed. they should get rid of the stores and switch to something like red box and/or netflix but also keep the channels on the network too.

Respectfully, I disagree. Extreme climates, locations and personal safety have an obvious impact on the attractiveness of kiosks. Kiosks are smart marketing yet spending time in front of a convience store trying to select a movie is not ideal. In-store kiosk are somewhat better if close to home.

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,749 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

We're not exactly the north pole, but the outdoor Redbox kiosks seem to be doing fine in the cold temperatures of Northern Indiana. There are 38 Redbox locations within 10 miles of my home ... most of them outdoors. 10 are within five miles. The concept seems to be working well.

I could only find one Blockbuster in the two county area that makes up the core of the market I am in. They might as well be closed.

Making the shift from stores to kiosks would be major ... first Redbox practically owns the market. Getting a foothold established would be a challenge. The "disk by mail" marketplace is dominated by Netflix ... although they have made unpopular decisions that leave them open for competition. While I appreciate competition it seems that there is room for only one Redbox and one Netflix.

I do not expect Blockbuster to last as a brick and mortar. Too many stores (not including Blockbuster) have gone under in the past few years. It is too easy to get content in other ways.

#24 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:17 AM

Too many stores (not including Blockbuster) have gone under in the past few years.

The former Hollywood Video location here is now a laundromat.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#25 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,209 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

The former Hollywood Video location here is now a laundromat.

I wonder if there's a lesson in that? :lol:

Many empty stores I see sport some sort of gym/pilates/yoga operation. Probably the easiest to move in—and out before long.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#26 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

People do look kind of silly standing out in the cold to use a kiosk, holding up that silly sun flap thing.

You'd think they would find a way to house more of these indoors.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#27 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,595 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

People do look kind of silly standing out in the cold to use a kiosk, holding up that silly sun flap thing.

You'd think they would find a way to house more of these indoors.

Housing them indoors means they can only be used when that store (location) is open...

There is a kiosk inside a 24-hr Wal-Mart near me... so that makes sense... but put it inside a non 24-hr store, and people who want movies after normal business hours can't spend their money.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#28 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Housing them indoors means they can only be used when that store (location) is open...

There is a kiosk inside a 24-hr Wal-Mart near me... so that makes sense... but put it inside a non 24-hr store, and people who want movies after normal business hours can't spend their money.

Good point. I guess I was mainly thinking of 24-hr convenience stores, but of course they're at McDonald's, etc. which close for a few hours each day.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#29 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,749 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Space outside of the store may be cheaper than space inside of the store. The store can use the inside space for other companies paying for the space (or for their own use).

The McDonald's locations are a good example ... how much seating would the typical standalone restaurant lose to a rental box? How much do they want to lose? We have some Walgreen's locations nearby where they give up a little sidewalk for a Redbox and can use the space inside the store for their stuff.

It seems to work. At least for Redbox. But they started small at a time when their DVD vending business was an innovation. Anyone else entering the business would be a copycat and would have to do better than Redbox than the established company to get a foothold ... let alone survive.

#30 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

The whole Dish Blockbuster Model is actually pretty poor.
Brick and Mortar stores are all closed or closing. The return a mailed DVD and get a free one at the store may sound good but brings no additional revenue and eats up current stock.
The DVD by mail system has a very poor browse feature. Easier to browse on Netflix then do a search for the title on BB. Second problem is that they have no inventory. Too many disks on Very Long Wait. I have several that have been at the top of my list for months. Third problem is that return and new delivery is slow. I can't do better than 1 disk a week at best and all of my disks get returned to a main post office.
The Streaming videos would be ok. the selection is small but the browse function is terrible. If it wasn't for the fact that I subscribe to the HD option, I wouldn't bother with BB.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#31 OFFLINE   elinsner

elinsner

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

The whole Dish Blockbuster Model is actually pretty poor.
Brick and Mortar stores are all closed or closing. The return a mailed DVD and get a free one at the store may sound good but brings no additional revenue and eats up current stock.
The DVD by mail system has a very poor browse feature. Easier to browse on Netflix then do a search for the title on BB. Second problem is that they have no inventory. Too many disks on Very Long Wait. I have several that have been at the top of my list for months. Third problem is that return and new delivery is slow. I can't do better than 1 disk a week at best and all of my disks get returned to a main post office.
The Streaming videos would be ok. the selection is small but the browse function is terrible. If it wasn't for the fact that I subscribe to the HD option, I wouldn't bother with BB.

Same here. I only have it because it includes Blu Ray at no additional cost.

#32 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

I have been trying to get Homeland Season 1in Blu Ray for months. A bit frustrating.
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#33 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

A nice feature would be to have a counter on your list that tells you how many people are in front of you for disk rentals even if it was only on the first item on your list. At least you could tell whether it was 10 people or 1000. Probably not practical.
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#34 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

I finally gave up on getting Homeland from BB as they shipped another DVD from down my list. I ordered the Homeland BluRay disc set from ebay for $25. This is a new unopened set and I noticed that people were easily selling once viewed sets also for $25. I could have got the standard DVD for $10 but really like the crispness of the BluRays. So I will watch it and then sell it. Worst case I figure I may be out of pocket $5. Frustration is over, at least for the time being.
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#35 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

My local store survived, but 2 others up the road are to close by April 1.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#36 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

Went to mine today to exchange my mailed disc and I saw the "going out of business" signs from blocks away. Had a feeling it was coming. The store is closing march 23rd. At least I turned in my mailer DVD so I will get one mailed out to me tomorrow.

#37 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

I e-mailed Dish customer support three days ago asking what the problem was with getting DVD's. They never responded. My wife wants to cancel. Not just the BB package, but Dish. She doesn't react well to poor customer service.

#38 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

I e-mailed Dish customer support three days ago asking what the problem was with getting DVD's. They never responded. My wife wants to cancel. Not just the BB package, but Dish. She doesn't react well to poor customer service.

Do they never arrive? Do you have a different bill to address than your physical address?

#39 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

My theory is that the mail DVD service is not profitable. $10/month from the HD subscribers has to support the HD channels in the package as well as all of the handling and mailing costs of the DVD rentals as well as purchase of new DVDs. Popular films like Looper, Flight and other hot new releases immediately get classified as Very Long Wait. The problem for Dish is that this will lead to customer frustration. Everytime you return a movie and the top movie on your list does not get sent, you are reminded of the fact that the movie you really wanted did not get sent.

My bill just jumped $10 for the new price increase and so once again I will go through the channel list to see if I really want all of the channels in the top 200 or whether 120 is adequate. DVR and multiple receivers and HD will be kept but the necessary channels are going to be in question. I started with Top 250 and then realized I wasn't watching any of those movie channels and so I went to 200 and haven't missed them.
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#40 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Do they never arrive? Do you have a different bill to address than your physical address?

No changes at all on my end. I've been getting BBHome since it's inception. I've had dozens and dozens of movies delivered. Just none in the last 3 or 4 weeks.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...