Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish to close 300 Blockbuster stores

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Have you tried calling Blockbuster directly instead of going through Dish?

1-866-692-2789

I had a problem a year ago with broken discs and Dish could not help at all. In fact I got penalized for calling them and pushing to get assistance. The lady at BlockBuster recognized the issue and helped me resolve it. Here's the key post:

http://www.dbstalk.c...595#post2937595

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   DaveM

DaveM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

No changes at all on my end. I've been getting BBHome since it's inception. I've had dozens and dozens of movies delivered. Just none in the last 3 or 4 weeks.

Something's going on...at least for some of us. Even though I've had the Blockbuster package since it began (got it mostly for the former "Platinum" channels and the on-demand movies), I just started doing the disc-by-mail thing myself in mid January.

My first rental took 11 days to get back to them (I watched it, and mailed it back the very same day I received it). Luckily, I hit the "report a problem" tab on the 6th day, so they sent the next rental out before the disc was registered as returned.

This time around...same thing. On the sixth day after sending it back, I hit the tab once again (just as an FYI, this is what Blockbuster instructs to do if the disc hasn't shown up as returned in the queue after 3 days). Only this time, a message pops up that tells me that "due to an unusual amount of problems on my account," they won't be sending the next rental out. Mind you, again, this was just my second rental.

So, fast forward to today, it's been 13 DAYS since I returned it, and it STILL hasn't shown up in my queue as returned. To add insult to injury, it was disc one of a two-disc set, so I haven't even completed the movie! Part one viewed on January 24th!

Needless to say..this is appalling service, and not what I bargained for. I emailed them yesterday to ask what's going on (now a full 24 hours), and I haven't heard back yet.

Sigh.

#43 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

I now always drop my DVD returns at the Post Office. The one time in the past where it was picked up in my outgoing mail, the disc never arrived at BB. I went through the same hassle that you describe. Not sure where it got lost or pilfered but I now always drop it at the Post Office which is only a couple blocks from my home.

Inazsully-- Do the discs on your list show as available or do they have some sort of Wait on them?
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#44 OFFLINE   DaveM

DaveM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

I now always drop my DVD returns at the Post Office. The one time in the past where it was picked up in my outgoing mail, the disc never arrived at BB. I went through the same hassle that you describe. Not sure where it got lost or pilfered but I now always drop it at the Post Office which is only a couple blocks from my home.

Just as an FYI, I dropped it off in an official USPS blue pickup box (on a Thursday, and it's a box with a daily pickup), so that really shouldn't make a difference. Been dropping all my outgoing mail there for years without issue, so I can't imagine the postman picking up would suddenly become a "thief" for one disc of a two DVD set. Like I noted, the first rental took 11 days to get back as well!

This is all on Blockbuster (and to a lesser degree....Dish).

#45 ONLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

I know piracy is not permitted for discussion, but I as everybody else who don't like to spend money on rentals or purchase DVD/BD, I just use my high speed Internet to my advantage to torrent files, I know that people might think that I'm cheating the system and taking away illegally from Hollywood, but if you think about it how much do they take from us, And not just for production cost but everything else that comes out of our pockets that are so many to name them all just sayin.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#46 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

The only money Hollywood takes from us is voluntary. If we don't like the price of their product we are free not to use it. The way I think about it, I don't get to walk into the store, look at the price of milk, declare that it is too expensive then pick up a gallon and walk out of the store without paying. I don't get to do that with the DVDs the store sells either. I understand people see copyright infringement as an intangible and say that since they are not taking a physical product they are not "stealing" anything - but the owner is losing the sale or rental income - even box office revenue. And if one wouldn't pay to watch the content (so there would be no loss) then don't watch.

Unfortunately piracy is becoming easier ... my father-in-law bought a DVD set of his favorite old time TV series off of the Internet and it turned out to be burned copies with a TV Land logo on the screen. The easier it gets the more competition illegal file sharing becomes.

And, as you note, it is not something we encourage or assist with here. It is not hard to find sites that discuss such things - if people need more information they can find one of those sites without any help from this one.

#47 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

I know piracy is not permitted for discussion, but I as everybody else who don't like to spend money on rentals or purchase DVD/BD, I just use my high speed Internet to my advantage to torrent files, I know that people might think that I'm cheating the system and taking away illegally from Hollywood, but if you think about it how much do they take from us, And not just for production cost but everything else that comes out of our pockets that are so many to name them all just sayin.

You are stealing. There really is no way around that.
DTV = Digital Television

#48 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

With Redbox rentals at only $1.20 for std DVDs and $1.50 for BluRay and kiosks everywhere, it is hard to believe one would risk the aspects of illegal Torrent downloads. It is not like your ISP cannot fully track the musings of the average downloader.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#49 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

These days teenagers carry their hard drives to their friends house to exchange files. Is that illegal? It is a lot like loaning a book to a friend.

#50 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

You are stealing. There really is no way around that.

No. They're illegally copying. Theft deprives someone of the item.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#51 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

No. They're illegally copying. Theft deprives someone of the item.

That's not correct. Stealing doesn't require any deprivation at all.

You can steal ideas from someone and pass them off as your own, for example... but that clearly doesn't stop the other person from still having those ideas! You just stole them and used them yourself without permission.

Semantics aside, however, it is illegal so not a topic for this forum.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#52 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

That's not correct. Stealing doesn't require any deprivation at all.

You can steal ideas from someone and pass them off as your own, for example... but that clearly doesn't stop the other person from still having those ideas! You just stole them and used them yourself without permission.

Semantics aside, however, it is illegal so not a topic for this forum.

The last few posts here just robbed me of 5 minutes of time when I should have been working. Now, I owe the company an extra 5 minutes! Thanks a lot!

You steal from me, I pay them back!

#53 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

The last few posts here just robbed me of 5 minutes of time when I should have been working. Now, I owe the company an extra 5 minutes!

That is one reason why I stopped reading from work ... at first I considered the time a "break" or read the site on lunch. But after a while it seemed like I was taking too many breaks so I decided to give my employer what they paid for ... me working for them. I also avoid personal calls while at work.

Now if I could only get them to return the favor and stop calling be about work when I am home. :)

#54 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

Employee manual says we are allowed two 15 minute breaks a day.

I rarely use them, so I don't feel at all guilty about spending 5 minutes peaking in on the forums every now and then.

#55 OFFLINE   neckhardt

neckhardt

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

These days teenagers carry their hard drives to their friends house to exchange files. Is that illegal? It is a lot like loaning a book to a friend.

Can both teenagers read a book at the same time from different houses?

#56 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,242 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

With today's technology, yes.

Perhaps of more significance, what is a book?

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#57 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

With today's technology, yes.

Perhaps of more significance, what is a book?

I think the point was... When you share a traditional book, only the person holding the actual book can read it.

With digital books, people don't "share" so much as they "copy" and then multiple people have access to it at the same time.

It isn't sharing if more than one people has access to something in its entirety at the same time. In fact, that goes against the very definition of sharing. Sharing essentially requires some sacrifice on the part of at least one participant. Either each has access to only half OR one has to give up the whole thing for the other to have the whole thing.

People try to blur the line and make it a shades-of-grey thing... but in reality, it is just posturing and rationalizing to do something they already know is wrong to do... otherwise they wouldn't spend so much time forming an explanation.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#58 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

I think the point was... When you share a traditional book, only the person holding the actual book can read it.

If one person reads the book to another do they owe copyright? ;)

(If it is a public performance then royalties could be owed for the distribution.)

#59 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

What if you read the book aloud to someone, or a group of people?

What if you read it aloud to yourself, but others are within earshot?

What if you project it on a screen with an opaque projector? (Remember those days class?)

What if you're reading it to yourself, but someone is looking over your shoulder?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#60 ONLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

I have a friend that does it way too often, And I tell him the risk involved and they can inform the ISP through the IP address, because some of those files cannot be trusted, Sure enough he received 2 emails for copyright infringement and what could happen if he continues, Sure I'm no saint either for experimenting some of those files, But then I started some research about the risk involved, which I immediately stopped doing that, But my friend is so arrogant and continues saying that they're just bluffing and pays no attention to it. So I told him try to find some software to block IP address that doesn't trace back to him since they're no way else to convince him otherwise.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

spam firewall