Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish to close 300 Blockbuster stores

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,349 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

No. They're illegally copying. Theft deprives someone of the item.

That's not correct. Stealing doesn't require any deprivation at all.

You can steal ideas from someone and pass them off as your own, for example... but that clearly doesn't stop the other person from still having those ideas! You just stole them and used them yourself without permission.

Semantics aside, however, it is illegal so not a topic for this forum.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

That's not correct. Stealing doesn't require any deprivation at all.

You can steal ideas from someone and pass them off as your own, for example... but that clearly doesn't stop the other person from still having those ideas! You just stole them and used them yourself without permission.

Semantics aside, however, it is illegal so not a topic for this forum.

The last few posts here just robbed me of 5 minutes of time when I should have been working. Now, I owe the company an extra 5 minutes! Thanks a lot!

You steal from me, I pay them back!

#53 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,225 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

The last few posts here just robbed me of 5 minutes of time when I should have been working. Now, I owe the company an extra 5 minutes!

That is one reason why I stopped reading from work ... at first I considered the time a "break" or read the site on lunch. But after a while it seemed like I was taking too many breaks so I decided to give my employer what they paid for ... me working for them. I also avoid personal calls while at work.

Now if I could only get them to return the favor and stop calling be about work when I am home. :)

#54 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

Employee manual says we are allowed two 15 minute breaks a day.

I rarely use them, so I don't feel at all guilty about spending 5 minutes peaking in on the forums every now and then.

#55 OFFLINE   neckhardt

neckhardt

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

These days teenagers carry their hard drives to their friends house to exchange files. Is that illegal? It is a lot like loaning a book to a friend.

Can both teenagers read a book at the same time from different houses?

#56 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,413 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

With today's technology, yes.

Perhaps of more significance, what is a book?

~ 13 Years on DBSTalk ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#57 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,349 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

With today's technology, yes.

Perhaps of more significance, what is a book?

I think the point was... When you share a traditional book, only the person holding the actual book can read it.

With digital books, people don't "share" so much as they "copy" and then multiple people have access to it at the same time.

It isn't sharing if more than one people has access to something in its entirety at the same time. In fact, that goes against the very definition of sharing. Sharing essentially requires some sacrifice on the part of at least one participant. Either each has access to only half OR one has to give up the whole thing for the other to have the whole thing.

People try to blur the line and make it a shades-of-grey thing... but in reality, it is just posturing and rationalizing to do something they already know is wrong to do... otherwise they wouldn't spend so much time forming an explanation.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#58 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,225 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

I think the point was... When you share a traditional book, only the person holding the actual book can read it.

If one person reads the book to another do they owe copyright? ;)

(If it is a public performance then royalties could be owed for the distribution.)

#59 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,953 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

What if you read the book aloud to someone, or a group of people?

What if you read it aloud to yourself, but others are within earshot?

What if you project it on a screen with an opaque projector? (Remember those days class?)

What if you're reading it to yourself, but someone is looking over your shoulder?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#60 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

I have a friend that does it way too often, And I tell him the risk involved and they can inform the ISP through the IP address, because some of those files cannot be trusted, Sure enough he received 2 emails for copyright infringement and what could happen if he continues, Sure I'm no saint either for experimenting some of those files, But then I started some research about the risk involved, which I immediately stopped doing that, But my friend is so arrogant and continues saying that they're just bluffing and pays no attention to it. So I told him try to find some software to block IP address that doesn't trace back to him since they're no way else to convince him otherwise.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#61 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,349 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

What if you read the book aloud to someone, or a group of people?

What if you read it aloud to yourself, but others are within earshot?

What if you project it on a screen with an opaque projector? (Remember those days class?)

What if you're reading it to yourself, but someone is looking over your shoulder?

The answer is a definitive "it depends" :)

You can read a book to your kids... and maybe even to a few of your kids' friends who come over for a sleepover... but you can't have an event where you do a public reading and invite the neighborhood without risking the copyright police coming to knock.

You can sing "happy birthday" to your kids... but if Chili's employees sings it to you at the table then they would have to pay a royalty to the license owner.

A lot of it is about intent of use. Some people will try to push the limits and blur the line... but most people really know better, they just choose to ignore the limits.

In most cases, if you find yourself asking "is this ok" that is the first sign that it might not be ok, and that you already know that.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#62 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Really bummed here in Phoenix. I went to return a blu-ray and pick up another at my local BB store only to see a big sign on the window saying they were closing. No more rentals available. This return feature was by far the biggest reason I took the BB package. "D" is looking better and better all the time. I hate having something taken away like this because "E" talked me into it in the first place.

#63 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,413 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

E 'talked' you into it, huh? Waa waa waa! :crying_sa

Forget mailing/returning DVDs, get Netflix.

~ 13 Years on DBSTalk ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#64 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Do you mean DVD's from Netflix or streaming from Netflix? Streaming doesn't give me 1080P nor does Netflix give me a bunch of HD channel's. For quite awhile the BB package was great. Free channels and 8 or 9 movies a month, for $10. You're right about the WAA WAA though. Good thing NOBODY comes here to complain.

#65 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Not sure what to think about this. I heard the manager and an employee at our local blockbuster talking about how they passed "the inspection" but needed to do this and that (paint something, replace something else, not sure, was eavesdropping you see). Anyway, so some have speculated that all BB's will close when leases come up, but this doesn't sound like winding down operations. Maybe E* is instead planning to consolidate on a smaller core of BB stores?
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

Protected By... spam firewall...And...