Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish to close 300 Blockbuster stores

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

What if you read the book aloud to someone, or a group of people?

What if you read it aloud to yourself, but others are within earshot?

What if you project it on a screen with an opaque projector? (Remember those days class?)

What if you're reading it to yourself, but someone is looking over your shoulder?

The answer is a definitive "it depends" :)

You can read a book to your kids... and maybe even to a few of your kids' friends who come over for a sleepover... but you can't have an event where you do a public reading and invite the neighborhood without risking the copyright police coming to knock.

You can sing "happy birthday" to your kids... but if Chili's employees sings it to you at the table then they would have to pay a royalty to the license owner.

A lot of it is about intent of use. Some people will try to push the limits and blur the line... but most people really know better, they just choose to ignore the limits.

In most cases, if you find yourself asking "is this ok" that is the first sign that it might not be ok, and that you already know that.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Really bummed here in Phoenix. I went to return a blu-ray and pick up another at my local BB store only to see a big sign on the window saying they were closing. No more rentals available. This return feature was by far the biggest reason I took the BB package. "D" is looking better and better all the time. I hate having something taken away like this because "E" talked me into it in the first place.

#63 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,322 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

E 'talked' you into it, huh? Waa waa waa! :crying_sa

Forget mailing/returning DVDs, get Netflix.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#64 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Do you mean DVD's from Netflix or streaming from Netflix? Streaming doesn't give me 1080P nor does Netflix give me a bunch of HD channel's. For quite awhile the BB package was great. Free channels and 8 or 9 movies a month, for $10. You're right about the WAA WAA though. Good thing NOBODY comes here to complain.

#65 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Not sure what to think about this. I heard the manager and an employee at our local blockbuster talking about how they passed "the inspection" but needed to do this and that (paint something, replace something else, not sure, was eavesdropping you see). Anyway, so some have speculated that all BB's will close when leases come up, but this doesn't sound like winding down operations. Maybe E* is instead planning to consolidate on a smaller core of BB stores?
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

Protected By... spam firewall...And...