Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OK, so what is fast/slow to you?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

This is part of the mystery, as 99.9% of my remote commands respond within 1-2 sec, but the native on HDMI resolution change of 6+ secs really bugs me.

For the most part my HR24s respond within 1-2 seconds but as quick as that sounds it is pretty slow when navigating around.

Channel change time is pretty slow but since I rarely channel surf I don't notice it much.

Usually I'm ok with the 'speed' of the HR24s although they are clearly not as quick as I'd like or as quick as Dish Network receivers. The HR21/22/23 on the other hand will never be allowed in my house! Those are 'unacceptably' slow.

I'd be willing to accept 'something in my setup' but it's not all that complicated and several neighbors, BestBuy and a couple of local dealers don't have any faster response than I do. I'm pretty sure that the difference between my setup and your setup speed is me and you. You're probably much more patient than I am.... I would however volunteer to test your HR44 for 6 or 7 months at my house. Do you need my address for FedEx?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,242 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

I was surprised to find the HDMI slowing down my channel changing as much as it is.

This begs the question of whether the receiver or the TV (or HDMI itself) is the culprit.

I'd lean towards the TV being the laggard, but it would be interesting to see data points from some other TVs and to see how having switchgear (relay and active) in the middle impacts the results.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#23 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Quicktune is SLOW on the Genie 2.5 seconds to display seems like an eternity. More like Slowtune compared to my HR24-500.
SlimLine-5 SWM-8-LNB Dish (HD Service / WHDVR)
HR34-700 Genie / Sharp 52LE700UN HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
C31 Genie RVU Client / Dynex HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
HR24-500 / Panasonic TC-P54S2 / HDMI / Networked - DECA
H24-700 / Toshiba SDTV / Networked - DECA

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

I'd like to stay in this discussion. I don't have any speed problems. I know what each model can do and don't expect any more than that from them.

I don't channel surf and haven't since I joined D* in 2002. Didn't do much of it before that either.

I have three cars with very different engines in each of them. I don't expect my 4 cylinder car to be as fast as my 6 cylinder car which I don't expect to be as fast as the car with the V8 in it. And I drive them appropriately.

In my mind, a BD player is excessively slow, but I know most of them are and don't expect a speedy experience when I use one.

I think speed is subjective. With electronics you get what you get. That said, I've got 12 of the fastest models of HRs in my home. How folks put up with any 21 series HR is beyond me.

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

That said, I've got 12 of the fastest models of HRs in my home. How folks put up with any 21 series HR is beyond me.
Rich

Who Needs 12 DVRs??? :lol:

I got rid of my HR21 and got all HR24-500s except for 2 HR23-700s which may be Replaced by an HR44. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Who Needs 12 DVRs??? :lol:

Does sound kinda nutty, doesn't it? Happened so fast I thought they were breeding. But I've got 12 HRs that work well and if they fail, they fail. I suspect I'll be down to 8 on MRV and two backups before long. Of course I suspected that I'd be using the 6 I bought for replacements when I bought the 6 owned HRs a couple years ago out of frustration with D*'s replacements. Who knew the damn things were gonna stabilize at that time?.... :lol:

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

I know you're better at this than I am, but isn't the 7 secs off by a factor of 2, and if so, it matched what the tune time is here with native off [HDMI] or native on with component.

Well, let's see. My math could be off. For 1080i30 there are 30 (29.97) frames per second, and if the GOP can be 200 frames, I guess that would be about ~6 2/3 seconds between I frames, assuming the GOP has but one I frame. That would make the average access time ~3 1/3 seconds, not counting other latency. But it could be as long as 6 2/3 if you access just after the I frame goes by, not including other latency. This is just decoder latency based on when the I frame occurs, and there is probably more latency there as there is a buffer that must be filled to a certain level for consistent decoding.

If you are using HDMI, that adds even more latency, and especially if there is a pixel map format change involved (such as native on and going from ESPN at 720 to CBS at 1080), but as I discussed, the rumor is that DTV adds an I frame every second or so to carve that first ~3 1/3 seconds down to ~1/2 a second on average.

Latency is everywhere; a signal leaving the Master Control switcher of a TV station might see as much as 10 seconds of latency in the picture before you see it over DBS in your living room (so even "live" isn't really "live"). But latency is only important in reference; just because you might receive the picture 10 seconds or more after it is encoded for broadcast isn't problematic because when it was encoded is transparent to the viewer and unimportant. But if the reference is to the time you pressed a button and it takes 3 or 4 seconds to respond, then that is problematic.

Edited by TomCat, 25 January 2013 - 01:51 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#28 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

As I'm sure is the case with others, speed has always been a relative thing for me, based on the state of technology at the time. My first 8086 PC seemed plenty fast, until I got my first 286 machine, etc., etc.

Right now, the H25 is my reference STB. Any DirecTV box that's not as responsive is "slow" to me.

I don't think any of us can disagree with that. But the ironic thing is that old analog cable boxes from the 90's could change channels as fast as you could press the button. Digital is "progress" in many ways, but not as far as latency goes.

My mother watches NBA on DTV HD and listens on AM radio, which means that the announcer can scream "3-pointer" while the ball is stll being dribbled by the shooter. Drives her insane.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Well, let's see. My math could be off.

It wouldn't be the first time mine was off either. :lol:
My tune times are very repeatable.
I set two channels and then use the previous [or jump on the TV] to bounce between the two.
I press and start counting until the image displays.
The Sony TV through its antenna is one thousand two.
My HR24 with component only varied from one thousand two thousand to one thousand two thousand three.
Native on/off and SD to HD, HD 720p to 1080i, all gave the same results.

I have no idea of how many I frames are being used, but the tune results seem constant, once I remove the HDMI resolution change lag.

As for "latency", I get sort of a kick out having to cycle the Sony's input between OTA, a receiver, and a DVR, since part of the dialog will repeat three times if they're all on the same channel and I start with OTA, then a non DVR, and end with a DVR.
A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

It wouldn't be the first time mine was off either. :lol:
My tune times are very repeatable.
I set two channels and then use the previous [or jump on the TV] to bounce between the two.
I press and start counting until the image displays.
The Sony TV through its antenna is one thousand two.
My HR24 with component only varied from one thousand two thousand to one thousand two thousand three.
Native on/off and SD to HD, HD 720p to 1080i, all gave the same results.

I have no idea of how many I frames are being used, but the tune results seem constant, once I remove the HDMI resolution change lag.

As for "latency", I get sort of a kick out having to cycle the Sony's input between OTA, a receiver, and a DVR, since part of the dialog will repeat three times if they're all on the same channel and I start with OTA, then a non DVR, and end with a DVR.

1080i has the frame rate Tom mentioned. 29.7. The rest of them, I don't know.

Rich

#31 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,345 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Whenever there are delay issues with channel changing or menu/guide what I do is flip channels really fast to essentially "wake up" your DVR and also browse the guide really quick, anything to get that blue light blinking really quick and it almost always works.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 Deactivated
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#32 OFFLINE   Gone Coastal

Gone Coastal

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

I just switched from Dish to Direct and going from the 722 to the HR34 has really taken some patience. It's simply unacceptable on any level that I press a button on the remote and 2-3 seconds later the action happens. Opening the guide, going to the recorded shows list, and having the channel pop up is tolerable but browsing the guide is just horrendous. Simply a terrible product from a company that has been doing this for this long.

The 722 was FAST. Button presses were instant in the guide and when skipping ahead 30 seconds through recorded shows.

#33 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,073 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

I just switched from Dish to Direct and going from the 722 to the HR34 has really taken some patience. It's simply unacceptable on any level that I press a button on the remote and 2-3 seconds later the action happens. Opening the guide, going to the recorded shows list, and having the channel pop up is tolerable but browsing the guide is just horrendous. Simply a terrible product from a company that has been doing this for this long.

The 722 was FAST. Button presses were instant in the guide and when skipping ahead 30 seconds through recorded shows.

Have you turned off the Scrolling Effects ?
Menu, Settings, Display, Preferences set the Scrolling Effects to OFF

Edited by jimmie57, 26 January 2013 - 03:59 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#34 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

I suspect you'll see some improvement with firmware updates, but "instant" doesn't seem to be an option.
A.K.A VOS

#35 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Mike Greer summed it up pretty nicely. I would add that having to key in a new channel twice before it tunes is SLOW. Both the 24 and 34 have this bug. Never changes on the first input but always changes on the second input.

Fast really were the TiVo's both DirecTiVo and Series 3 Tivo. Dish is slow compared to TiVo and DTV is just plain tedious.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#36 OFFLINE   jones_hdtv

jones_hdtv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Have you turned off the Scrolling Effects ?
Menu, Settings, Display, Preferences set the Scrolling Effects to OFF

That may help a little bit....BUT it will not compare to the DISH Dvrs...Period

#37 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Wait until you get an update with issues. With delays of 10+ seconds, you'll be happy when you get 2 seconds back.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#38 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Welcome to DirecTVland - things are a bit slower here.:)

When I switched from Dish about 6 years ago I was shocked to find how slow DirecTV DVRs responded.... I was told that new firmware was coming soon and things like 'My DVR isn't slow - must be your setup' etc.. over and over. Fact is DirecTV doesn't put 'speed' high on the priority list. When I finally sent my original HR22s back (I paid $600 to get rid of them) they were just as slow and non-responsive 5 years later as the day they were installed.

The HR24s are as fast as it gets with DirecTV and even those used to be faster before firmware 'upgrades' slowed them down a bit with the HDGUI. When the HDGUI first came out my HR24s slowed drastically - now things are better but still not as fast as they used to be.

Bottom line is unless DirecTV suddenly decides to change things (and they haven't for the 6 years I've been here) you just have to adjust to navigating slower than you're used to. Easier said than done - I still cuss my HR24 here and there and am jealous of friends and family that have Dish Network DVRs.

I haven't personally seen the HR34 but from what I've read it is somewhere between the HR21/22/23 and the HR24 in speed - and that to me is not fast enough but not likely to improve.... Sadly...

The HR44 is rumored to be 'fast' but until it is widely available and enough people have used it for a bit the jury is still out. Who knows - maybe the HR44 will be the turning point and Dish Network speed will become the norm for DirecTV too.

Happy TV watching... Albeit slower with your new Genie!

#39 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

I haven't personally seen the HR34 but from what I've read it is somewhere between the HR21/22/23 and the HR24 in speed - and that to me is not fast enough but not likely to improve.... Sadly...

You don't even want to see the clients. :nono:
A.K.A VOS

#40 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

1080i has the frame rate Tom mentioned. 29.7. The rest of them, I don't know.

Rich

I assume he was speaking about GOP structure; how many in the GOP. The frame rate of 1080i is actually 29.97, which is a legacy holdover from NTSC in 1953; they lowered it from 30 to make it a submultiple of the 3.58 MHz chroma subcarrier that was tacked on when they added color. Still with us 60 years later, and was here decades before the concept of GOP was even a gleam in some Engineer's eye. :grin:

720p is 59.94 for that same reason. One wonders if this means more I frames in 720p per second than in 1080i, because if they have the same GOP structure, then twice as many GOPs stream through in the same amount of time. Of couse even if there were, it could also mean they still only add 1 per second to speed up acquisition, which would tend to level any differences out.

The thing is this: you do what you are capable of, and you don't do what you're not capable of. DTV Engineers, and I use the term lightly, are absolutely incapable of designing in the speed that DISH Engineers seem to have perfected, which is pretty maddening, because there are still enough arguments to make DTV a better choice, in the opinion of many. Even if they knew the secret sauce recipe, it is likely that the legacy design of the DVR+ can't really be changed all that much and they have effectively painted themselves into a corner.

Of course I still contend that much of the sluggishness comes from piling on bloatware crap-apps that are of questionable value and potentially a threat to speed and stability. Rip out those "features" that I never wanted nor asked for, and give me a basic DVR that performs at a reasonable snappiness with reasonable reliability (that last issue the problem DISH Engineers seem to have trouble with).

Edited by TomCat, 26 January 2013 - 06:09 PM.

spam firewall