Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OK, so what is fast/slow to you?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

You don't even want to see the clients. :nono:

Geez - you're making my day... I was hoping the HR44 and a couple of clients would be the way to go.... Doesn't look like that is going to happen.

I guess - even if the HR44 is screaming fast I'd still end up having to maintain 3 separate schedules and keeping my HR24s....:(

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Of course I still contend that much of the sluggishness comes from piling on bloatware crap-apps that are of questionable value and potentially a threat to speed and stability.

Sad but I'd bet you are not far from the truth.....

#43 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,790 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Geez - you're making my day... I was hoping the HR44 and a couple of clients would be the way to go.... Doesn't look like that is going to happen.

I guess - even if the HR44 is screaming fast I'd still end up having to maintain 3 separate schedules and keeping my HR24s....:(

Let me put it this way, "you know" I don't find the other receivers that slow, but every time I use my client, I know exactly what others are bitching about.
A.K.A VOS

#44 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

Mike Greer summed it up pretty nicely. I would add that having to key in a new channel twice before it tunes is SLOW. Both the 24 and 34 have this bug. Never changes on the first input but always changes on the second input.

Fast really were the TiVo's both DirecTiVo and Series 3 Tivo. Dish is slow compared to TiVo and DTV is just plain tedious.

I've often wondered just how large Mike's fingers are.... :lol:

Rich

#45 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

You don't even want to see the clients. :nono:

I think I'd be troubled if Mike were to go for the clients instead of DVRs. I just don't get the whole non-DVR client thing.

Rich

#46 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

I assume he was speaking about GOP structure; how many in the GOP. The frame rate of 1080i is actually 29.97, which is a legacy holdover from NTSC in 1953; they lowered it from 30 to make it a submultiple of the 3.58 MHz chroma subcarrier that was tacked on when they added color. Still with us 60 years later, and was here decades before the concept of GOP was even a gleam in some Engineer's eye. :grin:

720p is 59.94 for that same reason. One wonders if this means more I frames in 720p per second than in 1080i, because if they have the same GOP structure, then twice as many GOPs stream through in the same amount of time. Of couse even if there were, it could also mean they still only add 1 per second to speed up acquisition, which would tend to level any differences out.

The thing is this: you do what you are capable of, and you don't do what you're not capable of. DTV Engineers, and I use the term lightly, are absolutely incapable of designing in the speed that DISH Engineers seem to have perfected, which is pretty maddening, because there are still enough arguments to make DTV a better choice, in the opinion of many. Even if they knew the secret sauce recipe, it is likely that the legacy design of the DVR+ can't really be changed all that much and they have effectively painted themselves into a corner.

Of course I still contend that much of the sluggishness comes from piling on bloatware crap-apps that are of questionable value and potentially a threat to speed and stability. Rip out those "features" that I never wanted nor asked for, and give me a basic DVR that performs at a reasonable snappiness with reasonable reliability (that last issue the problem DISH Engineers seem to have trouble with).

That's just about all I ever wanted from a DVR. The main reason I have 12 HRs active at this time is...I don't trust them. I just can't get over what I've gone thru since the fall of '06. I do have to admit they seem pretty stable at the moment, but just after the last NR downloaded 4 of my 24-500s went berserk and I thought I'd lost them. They recovered, but 4 of them at once? How can you trust them?

Rich

#47 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Mike, stick with the DVRs. Please. Unless you can put up with having a 34 or 44 with multiple non-DVR clients and the 34 or 44 fails. Then you'd have nothing until the 34/44 was replaced and you'd still lose ALL your recordings.

Rich

#48 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,790 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

I think I'd be troubled if Mike were to go for the clients instead of DVRs. I just don't get the whole non-DVR client thing.

Rich

As someone with a dozen or more DVRs, I can see how/why you don't.
With the addition of MRV, we moved from stand alone boxes and towards an integrated system.
In my case, I needed two DVRs [in the main room] and I could use a receiver in my bedroom. With this I could watch recordings, and setup recordings in the bedroom. In the main room I needed to change DVRs to setup recordings and check to-do lists, as I needed to balance them between the two for conflicts.

With the move to Genie and a client [for the bedroom], I have full access and features/functions from everywhere, without needing to change any inputs, or receivers.
A.K.A VOS

#49 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

As someone with a dozen or more DVRs, I can see how/why you don't.
With the addition of MRV, we moved from stand alone boxes and towards an integrated system.
In my case, I needed two DVRs [in the main room] and I could use a receiver in my bedroom. With this I could watch recordings, and setup recordings in the bedroom. In the main room I needed to change DVRs to setup recordings and check to-do lists, as I needed to balance them between the two for conflicts.

With the move to Genie and a client [for the bedroom], I have full access and features/functions from everywhere, without needing to change any inputs, or receivers.

Yup, I get that. But you don't have 8 plasmas to feed. They seemed to breed for a while, too... :lol:

#50 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Let me put it this way, "you know" I don't find the other receivers that slow, but every time I use my client, I know exactly what others are bitching about.

Stop it! You're crushing my hopes and dreams of having 'fast' receivers from DirecTV someday!:D

#51 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

I've often wondered just how large Mike's fingers are.... :lol:

Rich

Ha! Luckily my HR24s don't seem to have the problem of not being able to enter channel numbers. I know what a pain it is because it was a constant thing my HR22s.

#52 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,790 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Stop it! You're crushing my hopes and dreams of having 'fast' receivers from DirecTV someday!:D

I'm trying to lose any "fanboy" status. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#53 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Mike, stick with the DVRs. Please. Unless you can put up with having a 34 or 44 with multiple non-DVR clients and the 34 or 44 fails. Then you'd have nothing until the 34/44 was replaced and you'd still lose ALL your recordings.

Rich

Sounds like I’ll have to stick with the DVRs just to keep what speed I have. I did hope to be able to use an HR44 and 3 clients understanding that if the HR44 dies – I’m done. But I’m not willing to go back to the speed of the HR22s or maybe even slower from what VOS says. Just couldn’t and wouldn’t do that!

Maybe someday they’ll allow multiple HR44s per account and maybe (talking crazy here!) a centralized schedule so the HR44s can decide where recordings happen…. I know, I know – I’m a dreamer!

#54 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I'm trying to lose any "fanboy" status. :lol:

But would it kill you to just allow me to keep my fantasies alive?:lol:

#55 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Finally got a chance to see an HR34 w/ clients in person. And I thought HR22 to HR22 MRV was slow :lol: All joking aside, it's not an implementation I could see using in its current state. This word gets used a lot, but maybe the HR44 w/ client will work better.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#56 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,790 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

But would it kill you to just allow me to keep my fantasies alive?:lol:

Why should you be able to have yours and mine always get dashed? !rolling
A.K.A VOS

#57 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,790 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

This word gets used a lot, but maybe ...

Stack that right after the pile of "soon". :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#58 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Stack that right after the pile of "soon". :lol:

Yep. At this stage I'm disapointed to still see threads on this topic around here. I don't really think it's important to quantify the "slowness" of a receiver/client any longer. I've used a Dish receiver, and I think if one were to put the two brands side by side "slow" would be understood. It's been argued as to whether "slow" is a big deal, and it's likely not. But it's my belief that "response time after button push" threads shouldn't even be around today. Except, of course, for my HR22 :lol:
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#59 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,799 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

How folks put up with any 21 series HR is beyond me.

The financial tribute required to be guaranteed of getting anything better is relatively high.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#60 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Finally got a chance to see an HR34 w/ clients in person. And I thought HR22 to HR22 MRV was slow :lol: All joking aside, it's not an implementation I could see using in its current state. This word gets used a lot, but maybe the HR44 w/ client will work better.

Yet another crushing blow to Mike's dreams... :lol:

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...