Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cbs Hd

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lissamine

lissamine

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 05:59 PM

I have the 921 and Dish 500. I have two sw21 swtiches to feed the 921. What switch do I need if I want to add the CBSHD from sat 61.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 06:11 PM

I have the 921 and Dish 500. I have two sw21 swtiches to feed the 921. What switch do I need if I want to add the CBSHD from sat 61.

If you have just a Dish 500, you don't need any switches, just run both lines down to the 921. If you have a Dish 500, and a wing dish looking at 61 degrees, then you need two switch 21s. Just take on input from the dish 500, one input from the wing dish, put those two as inputs to the switch 21, then run the output from the switch to the 921. Do that twice, and run both switch 21 outputs to the 921.

#3 OFFLINE   tgerrish

tgerrish

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 07:07 PM

To connect to the sat at 61.5 degrees, you need an additional Dish; I was able to get a free Dish 300 and SW64 switch from E* by asking to receive the local channels that my Dish 500 could not receive. It seems that Dish Network is required by law to provide this if asked for by the customer. It just happens that CBS-HD (NY) is also on this sat!

#4 OFFLINE   Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 11:15 PM

If you have just a Dish 500, you don't need any switches, just run both lines down to the 921. If you have a Dish 500, and a wing dish looking at 61 degrees, then you need two switch 21s. Just take on input from the dish 500, one input from the wing dish, put those two as inputs to the switch 21, then run the output from the switch to the 921. Do that twice, and run both switch 21 outputs to the 921.

Actually, if he has SW21 switches now, he probably has the Dish 500 with two Legacy Dual LNBs.

If that's the case, you need to replace the SW21's with an SW64 (not very reliable from my experience), or upgrade to DISHPRO equipment.

If you upgrade to DISHPRO, you will need a DP Twin LNB, two DP21 DISHPRO switches, and a dish 300 or dish 500 pointed at 61.5 with a DISHPRO Dual LNB. You would run one output from the DP dual at 61.5 to the "2" input on the first switch, and the other output from the dual to the "2" input on the second switch. Then run a line from each of the DP Twin ports to each of the switch's "1" input. Then use your existing lines to the 921.

If you have any other receivers than the 921, you can use a DP34 switch instead of the DP21's and just run one line from the 61.5 dish to the switch.

If you didn't need the 61.5 channels on the other receivers, you could go ahead and use the DP21's, and just install a DP Quad instead of the DP Twin. Just make sure to connect the DP21 switches to the OUTER ports on the Quad (ports 1&4).

As you can see, there are a lot of options available. Just don't remove your SW21's if you really do have Legacy dual LNBs on your dish right now. That would make you lose your 119 signal on one tuner and the 110 signal on the other one. ;)

#5 OFFLINE   Richard Chalk

Richard Chalk

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 11:44 PM

If you have any other receivers than the 921, you can use a DP34 switch instead of the DP21's and just run one line from the 61.5 dish to the switch.

I'm using a DP34 with a 921 and a 721, and it works fine (with DishPro LNBs). Is the DP34 not supposed to work with the 921?

Richard

#6 OFFLINE   Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 11:50 PM

I'm using a DP34 with a 921 and a 721, and it works fine (with DishPro LNBs). Is the DP34 not supposed to work with the 921?

Richard

As posted here above:

you can use the DP34. It works perfectly with the 921. That switch is just a lot more expensive than the DP21's if you only have a 921.

#7 OFFLINE   mcowher

mcowher

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 06:54 AM

I got a Dishpro Twin LNB and a Dishpro Single LNB from eBay for about $30 each for a total of $60 compared to $160 if I got them from my local installer. I wish now I would have gotten my DP34 switch from eBay too...

#8 OFFLINE   David_Levin

David_Levin

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:55 AM

Yes, be careful, jsanders post is incorrect.

As Mainstreet said, a lot depends on what you currently have in terms of other receivers (legacy or pro). Do you want to have the capability to add more receivers down the road?

Do you have any must carry locals on the side sat?

Feel like taking Dish up on the 510 (or 811) offer? A switch upgrade would be included (of course taking an extra 510 would add $10/month to your bill).

PS - Might it also be possible to cascade another set of SW21s - I believe it's not 'officially' supported, but many have reported it to work.

#9 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 12:00 PM

Moved thread to proper forum, as it's a question about switches, not the operation of the 921.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

Protected By... spam firewall...And...