Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Direct Cinema

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flygirl799

flygirl799

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Is Direct Cinema like having Netflix or is it the same thing as PPV? I'm trying to figure out how it is "free." All the posts I read make it sound just like PPV. I will switching to Direct TV tomorrow from Dish. I'm trying to get a feel for what to expect. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

DIRECTV Cinema is their PPV service, either via real time viewing by satellite or via the DIRECTV on Demand PPV channel if your boxes are network connected. The DIRECTV Cinema Connection Kit is what can be used to connect the DIRECTV receiver or Whole Home DVR network to your internet connection so you have access to all their on demand content.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,500 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Some of the regular satellite channels, like AMC and TLC, provide "free" OnDemand downloads because those channels are part of your basic channel package. If you subscribe to HBO or other premium channels, then their OnDemand downloads are also "free" because you already subscribe to those channels. So the term "free" is relative to whatever channels you're already paying for with your DirecTV subscription.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Direct Cinema currently offers the following...What's On Now...What's New...In Theaters...Before Netflix...Oscar Nominated...Award Winners...Best of Thriller...Family Favorites...and By Genre. Some features are PPV while others are not. Good luck with your install tommorow.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

spam firewall