Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Received a Genie offer today and need help deciding what I should do.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   montag

montag

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Hi all, I currently have two HR22-100's and one HR24-200. I was talking to a DTV rep tonight and she offered me a free Genie upgrade that also included two free clients. She also stated that I could just get the Genie unit and keep two of my HD-DVR's and that they would do the same thing as the clients.

I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to Genie or whole home for that matter.

Which would be the better option?
1. Genie and two clients
2. Genie and two of my existing HDDVR's

**Another question**

None of my HD DVR's are networked and doing so with CAT5 would be a huge pain in the rear for that matter. She actually activated Whole Home for me so I could play around with it until I make up my mind regarding the Genie options. I've named all the HDDVR's and made their playlists shared, but I can't see where in playlist I can view other playlists. What do I need to do to start whole home viewing right now?

Thanks for any input!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Well, if you keep your existing DVRs you will have more Recording Capacity than if your have 2 Clients.

Or you could keep your 2 DVRs and add 1 or more Clients if you need them. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   montag

montag

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

I'm really just interested in the best (fastest and responsive) receivers and ease of sharing playlists throughout the house. PIP is also a neat feature but it's not a deal breaker.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

I'm really just interested in the best (fastest and responsive) receivers and ease of sharing playlists throughout the house. PIP is also a neat feature but it's not a deal breaker.

If you're interested in the fastest - then I'd wait to see when the HR44 is going to be available....

If you do go with the HR34 and Genie clients - go to a dealer and see the speed for yourself first hand. I have a feeling the C31 clients response leaves much to be desired. I haven't seen it with my own eyes but from posts here they don't seem to be 'speedy'. Also the HR34 is said to be slower than the HR24 you have now but faster than the HR22. How you can stand to use the HR22 shows you are much more tolerant than I am!

#5 OFFLINE   montag

montag

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

LOL, yeah, I'm tolerant. Also, I primarily use the 24 while the rest of the family uses the 22's. Maybe I'll get the Genie and keep a 24 and a 22.

As to my other question do my current HDDVR's have to be on my home network to use whole home playlist sharing?

#6 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

I recently upgraded to a Genie and moved my HR24-500 to my bedroom. The Genie seems to perform most actions with similar speed to the HR24. The one glaring difference is that the Genie takes 2.5 seconds to display Quicktune. I'm willing to accept the Quicktune sluggishness for the 5 tuners. Keep in mind the clients use a tuner from the Genie if they are in use.
SlimLine-5 SWM-8-LNB Dish (HD Service / WHDVR)
HR34-700 Genie / Sharp 52LE700UN HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
C31 Genie RVU Client / Dynex HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
HR24-500 / Panasonic TC-P54S2 / HDMI / Networked - DECA
H24-700 / Toshiba SDTV / Networked - DECA

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

Hi all, I currently have two HR22-100's and one HR24-200. I was talking to a DTV rep tonight and she offered me a free Genie upgrade that also included two free clients. She also stated that I could just get the Genie unit and keep two of my HD-DVR's and that they would do the same thing as the clients.

I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to Genie or whole home for that matter.

Which would be the better option?
1. Genie and two clients
2. Genie and two of my existing HDDVR's

**Another question**

None of my HD DVR's are networked and doing so with CAT5 would be a huge pain in the rear for that matter. She actually activated Whole Home for me so I could play around with it until I make up my mind regarding the Genie options. I've named all the HDDVR's and made their playlists shared, but I can't see where in playlist I can view other playlists. What do I need to do to start whole home viewing right now?

Thanks for any input!

With regard to the clients vs. HD-DVRs, the clients will have full access to the HR34 as if you are actually using the HR34. This means that you can modify Series Lists, your ToDo List, etc. The next question is do you have a SWM setup? This is easily answered by knowing if you have 1 or 2 coax cables going to each of your DVRs. I'm guessing the since the CSR turned on MRV that you do have a SWM setup, which is probably a SWM-LNB. The reason why this is important is because if you decide to keep 2 DVRs you will need to have a SWM16 installed. This would entail having 4 cables come down from your dish instead of one.

As for MRV, even though she activated it for you, it will not work unless you are on a SWM system AND you have DECA adapters on your HR22s (the HR24 has one built-in). With MRV, you won't need CAT5 cables run to each of your receivers either. You would only need a CAT5 cable run to the HR34 (if you get one) or to a Cinema Connection Kit. The CCK (or the HR34) will bridge the coax network to your home network giving you Internet access to all of your receivers.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#8 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

As to my other question do my current HDDVR's have to be on my home network to use whole home playlist sharing?

Not on your Ethernet (or wireless network). When the Genie is installed, the installer will also install the equipment that is necessary for your DVR's to be networked via your existing Coax cables. He will also connect that network to the Internet, either through a single Ethernet cable or wirelessly.

#9 OFFLINE   montag

montag

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

I don't think I have SWM as I have two coax cables running into both HDDVR's. So does this mean, that even though he's sending me the DECA's, Whole Home sharing will still not work?

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

Does it tell you you're networked? You don't have to be internet connected for whole home to work, but you also just can't turn it on through central office unless you're properly wired, which would be doubtful if you haven't asked for it to be set up. You won't need CAT 5 wires, but you will need DECA adapters for your gear. Have it professionally installed with your new Genie!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#11 OFFLINE   montag

montag

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

So would it be best to get a Genie and use my HR24 and one of my HR22's? Or should I get the Genie and two C31's?

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

So would it be best to get a Genie and use my HR24 and one of my HR22's? Or should I get the Genie and two C31's?

How about: Genie, one HR24 (Keeping the one you have) and one C31?
D'Oh! That's what I have- with the addition of an H25..... Lots of flexibility.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#13 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,580 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

I would keep the HR22 and HR24 since that gives you 4 more tuners to record with and cost the same monthly as the C31. if in the future you need another receiver, you can order a C31 or whatever you need. With that setup you'll have 9 available tuners to record with. If you went with C31 you'd only have 5 basically loosing a tuner from your current setup.

#14 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

I don't think I have SWM as I have two coax cables running into both HDDVR's. So does this mean, that even though he's sending me the DECA's, Whole Home sharing will still not work?

Do you have BBC's off the back of your receivers on each coax? Do you have 4 cables coming from the dish to a multiswitch? If so, you have a legacy setup, which means no MRV until you are upgraded. By ordering the Genie, DirecTV will upgrade you to SWM and get Whole Home hooked up correctly. If you go for two C31s and keep one DVR, you will get a SWM-LNB that can handle up to 8 tuners. If you keep 2 of the DVRs to go with the Genie, that will give you 9 tuners so a SWM16 will be installed, which allows up to 16 tuners (C31s do not count as a tuner as they use one from the Genie).

If a SWM16 is installed, the multiswitch is basically swapped out for the SWM16. In the SWM-LNB case, the dish LNB is swapped out and only one coax from the dish is used. Where the multiswitch is now, a splitter is used to split the line to each of your locations.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#15 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

I would keep the HR22 and HR24 since that gives you 4 more tuners to record with and cost the same monthly as the C31. if in the future you need another receiver, you can order a C31 or whatever you need. With that setup you'll have 9 available tuners to record with. If you went with C31 you'd only have 5 basically loosing a tuner from your current setup.

Agreed.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#16 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Agreed too. I have a HR24 and HR22 and got my HR34 last Feb. 9 tuners are great plus have had no problems with MRV and am extremely happy with the HR34 (Genie - Who is that Genie lady on the adverts btw?)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#17 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

Just remember if you keep your 2 HRs you'll have to do all the scheduling for the HR34 from the HR34 and manage 3 different - unrelated schedules. That can be quite a pain depending on where you install the HR34.

#18 OFFLINE   montag

montag

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for all the input! I'm going with an HR34 and keeping one 24 and one 22.

It appears that I have a legacy setup. It's amazing that DTV doesn't know that or, at least, ask me about my LBN/Dish/MS etc... One rep made it sound like she'll just activate WH and everything will work and the other is drop shipping me 2 DECA's and made it sound that if I just inline those everything will work.

#19 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

Just remember if you keep your 2 HRs you'll have to do all the scheduling for the HR34 from the HR34 and manage 3 different - unrelated schedules. That can be quite a pain depending on where you install the HR34.

Times 2

And I am trying to avoid duplications on 3 HR2Xs

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#20 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

I would keep the HR22 and HR24 since that gives you 4 more tuners to record with and cost the same monthly as the C31. if in the future you need another receiver, you can order a C31 or whatever you need. With that setup you'll have 9 available tuners to record with. If you went with C31 you'd only have 5 basically losing a tuner from your current setup.

This is the Way I Would Go!!! :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...