Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Received a Genie offer today and need help deciding what I should do.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

Times 2

And I am trying to avoid duplications on 3 HR2Xs

Yep - it's quite a task to manage 3 seperate schedules!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

It appears that I have a legacy setup. It's amazing that DTV doesn't know that or, at least, ask me about my LBN/Dish/MS etc... One rep made it sound like she'll just activate WH and everything will work and the other is drop shipping me 2 DECA's and made it sound that if I just inline those everything will work.

This is The Problem with CSRs at Directv and why you have to Play the CSR Roulette Game to get the Truth sometimes as different CSR have varying degrees of Knowledge so you have to keep calling until you get one that is in the Know!!! :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#23 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

I would keep the HR22 and HR24 since that gives you 4 more tuners to record with and cost the same monthly as the C31. if in the future you need another receiver, you can order a C31 or whatever you need. With that setup you'll have 9 available tuners to record with. If you went with C31 you'd only have 5 basically loosing a tuner from your current setup.

This is the way that I'd go. There is no way that I'd get rid of 4 recordable tuners in order to be able to schedule all of my recordings on the Genie from any location.

The vast majority of my Series Links are setup based on a spreadsheet that I setup using The Futon Critic guide. So, the seasonal setup of the upcoming Series Links can still be done from a single location.

I'd put the Genie in the room that most of my viewing takes place and do all of my planned recording on it. I'd use the two HR-2x's in other rooms and I'd use them for spur of the moment (and remote) recordings. If I discover a program that I want to setup a season pass for, while I'm watching at one of the remote locations, I'd initially set it up on that DVR.

If I remember, I'd then set it up on the Genie as well. If I don't remember, the fact that I see the first episode having recorded on a remote DVR will remind me that I need to add it to the Genie. After it's been added to the Genie, I'll then remove it from the original DVR when I notice that it's still there.

Although some would consider this to be managing 3 schedules, I just see the additional DVR's as extra recordable tuners that I can use when it's convenient.

#24 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

I currently have 3 DVRs (HR34, HR24, R22). I use the HR34 for all of my SL's. The HR24 has all of my wife's stuff and the R22 has all of my kids' stuff. Quite easy to manage. If I want to set up a recording, I generally do it via the DirecTV app for iPad or iPhone. Never had any issues except when I need to change a SL to record first runs and repeats. In that case, I just go into the SL on the DVR and update it at a later time.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#25 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

The vast majority of my Series Links are setup based on a spreadsheet that I setup using The Futon Critic guide. So, the seasonal setup of the upcoming Series Links can still be done from a single location.

Nice. I had forgotten what a handy resource Futon Critic is for reviewing television programming and deciding what to watch, etc.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#26 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Nice. I had forgotten what a handy resource Futon Critic is for reviewing television programming and deciding what to watch, etc.

It will become an even better resource for me once DirecTV implements the ability to set Series Links up to a year in advance. I won't need to keep track of the date that a new series begins in order to add it within two weeks of the season start date.

spam firewall