Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why does TV Apps so often get broken?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

I like it when it works, but so often it gets "service unavailable (5)" error. It's not the network connection because the On Demand downloads without a problem. This feature is still not ready for prime time.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

They haven't continued to support the applications for a little while now. I wouldn't expect many of the issues with the apps to be fixed anytime soon or ever really.

#3 OFFLINE   FussyBob

FussyBob

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

I like it when it works, but so often it gets "service unavailable (5)" error. It's not the network connection because the On Demand downloads without a problem. This feature is still not ready for prime time.

I have the same problem and this has helped a lot. When I lose TVapps on either one of my HR22's I go to Directv.com and reauthorize that particular receiver. They state that it will be reauthorized in 5 minutes but that is not true, you need to wait over night. Then do a red button reset and the apps will be back. Or you can just wait it out for days for them to return on its own.

Someone here with the inside knowledge said a few months ago that DTV was working on a new TVapps system and was to roll it out soon, let's hope!

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,633 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Sadly, TVApps has sort of been left out in the rain for a while. I have been told something else is coming but I don't know when.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,764 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

I've given up on the current TV apps, I don't even bother reporting any problems with it anymore. IMHO just another case of DIRECTV coming up with a good idea, like Media Share also, and then not really following through on it.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#6 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,141 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

My TV Apps work perfect. Everytime. On all four boxes.

Except right after a software upgrade, but that dosn't take much to get them going again.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#7 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,185 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Except right after a software upgrade, but that dosn't take much to get them going again.

Mines been working good also, which I had a problem with on previous SW updates, but don't use it much unless to watch weather app or sometimes scoreguide app when I'm not on a interactive sports channel
Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 Deactivated
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#8 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

They state that it will be reauthorized in 5 minutes but that is not true, you need to wait over night.

Every time I've used it or had them do it over the phone, it took about 20 seconds. The reauthorize is for your access card and the programming it is able to view, not TVapps.

#9 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 806 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

I've given up on the current TV apps, I don't even bother reporting any problems with it anymore. IMHO just another case of DIRECTV coming up with a good idea, like Media Share also, and then not really following through on it.

Agreed---they both got off to a good, if not great, start, with a seemingly high uptake, and both have (had) high value if implemented properly. Curious.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#10 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Agreed---they both got off to a good, if not great, start, with a seemingly high uptake, and both have (had) high value if implemented properly. Curious.

Probably based on cost of IT upkeep versus the low number of customers using it. Maybe just a little ahead of it's time. Hopefully a new platform is coming as the use of applications on many devices is only climbing.

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,721 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

With the onset of millions of tablets and light laptops over the last 3-4 years, all in customers hands as they watch TV, TV Apps becomes moot for most of that base. You can much quicker find what you want on your iPad or laptop than through TV Apps, with a great deal more customization. So, for many, the sun has set there. Hardly all, of course, and it would be nice to see it brought up to snuff.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,523 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

Except right after a software upgrade, but that doesn't take much to get them going again.

That does indeed happen sometimes.

Resetting the Network Services settings corrects the issue and restores TV Apps.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#13 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,141 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

That does indeed happen sometimes.

Resetting the Network Services settings corrects the issue and restores TV Apps.

Yep, thats what keeps mine happy.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#14 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,523 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

Yep, thats what keeps mine happy.

I'd speculate that DirecTV is aware of this hiccup issue, and perhaps folks will see it corrected in a future firmware update. :shrug:

#15 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

It's right up there with Media Center (beta) and Game Center (makes the Atari 2600 look state-of-the-art)

#16 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,523 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

It's right up there with Media Center (beta) and Game Center (makes the Atari 2600 look state-of-the-art)

Actually....TV Apps have worked very well here for a very long time.

Only use about 5-6 at a crack, but use them regularly...a great info convenience here. The scores, weather, and other apps get used all the time.

All that said...accessory functions like these tend to evolve over time.

#17 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,764 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

Actually....TV Apps have worked very well here for a very long time.

Only use about 5-6 at a crack, but use them regularly...a great info convenience here. The scores, weather, and other apps get used all the time.

The ones that are left work, but a number were removed by their developers because something new was coming. Plus the tvapps.directv.com web site was removed months ago because something else was coming, still waiting.

#18 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,523 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Plus the tvapps.directv.com web site was removed months ago because something else was coming, still waiting.

Think we're kinda saying the same thing. :)

#19 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,764 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

Think we're kinda saying the same thing. :)

Nope. I come from the school that you don't remove functionality from a product while working on an upgrade.

#20 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,523 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Nope. I come from the school that you don't remove functionality from a product while working on an upgrade.

What about during transition?

Agree removing something before it's morphed replacement is in place makes little sense though.

spam firewall