Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why does TV Apps so often get broken?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

What about during transition?

Agree removing something before it's morphed replacement is in place makes little sense though.

A transition over a weekend, maybe. But it's been months now and still nothing.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,856 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

I remember when early last year they push us a update that really broke the TV Apps with errors on every press of the right arrow button, then update fixed it with exception of the weather app disappearing then YouTube was broken.

#23 OFFLINE   FussyBob

FussyBob

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

Every time I've used it or had them do it over the phone, it took about 20 seconds. The reauthorize is for your access card and the programming it is able to view, not TVapps.

Well it's the only way I can get the TVapps back. Done it about 30 times over the last few years and if I do not do the reauthorization, I never get the TV apps back until I do so.

#24 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

I don't check the Apps that frequently now a days, but my TV App experience went from spotty (disappearing after software updates..) to reliable once I realized I needed to change (firewall?) settings in my DSL modem, and not just my router.

I had to check, but it looks like I turned off my modem's firewall as I'm using my routers firewall.

Edited by paulh, 30 January 2013 - 05:59 PM.
Update

#25 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

my apps never work, always say Still initializing please try again later (301)

also my You Tube does not even show up in the Extras menu. Im getting Pandora, and On demand but no You tube. Not even getting the settings in Parental for you tube.

#26 OFFLINE   synpse

synpse

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

Yeah, I wish they would make the TV Apps a priority!!

BKN = New Jersey Devils in the sports app. WTH??!! Hoboken? Why not NJD?

And there haven't been any new or useful apps, like.. EVER!

It would be awesome if the receivers would work as Windows Media Center Extenders.

It says it plays DLNA / MP3/Video... but I've only gotten music to play once.. and videos are always unsupported format crap

#27 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:28 AM

My experience is that interactive stuff seems to go down when my large drive is nearly full. The main reason I suspect this is because last summer I couldn't get the Olympics screens to work, but they started working immediately after I deleted a bunch of stuff.

P.S. Nothing interactive (weather, sports scores, etc. [neither channel nor net-based] is working at the moment (drive is full again) but On Demand and You Tube are still ok.

Haven't restarted or reset anything, yet, 'cause I want to try another big delete, first.

#28 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

Yeah, I wish they would make the TV Apps a priority!!

BKN = New Jersey Devils in the sports app. WTH??!! Hoboken? Why not NJD?

And there haven't been any new or useful apps, like.. EVER!

It would be awesome if the receivers would work as Windows Media Center Extenders.

It says it plays DLNA / MP3/Video... but I've only gotten music to play once.. and videos are always unsupported format crap

I never had the horsepower to bother much with video transcoding, I run TVersity (expecting Microsoft software to conform to industry standards is as bad as a cable company DVR ;) ) as a media server on my 8 year old XP laptop, and never had trouble running picture slide shows with mp3 music in the background.

#29 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

I used the weather radar often when it was available. Now apps are not used at all here.

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

#30 OFFLINE   Mervis

Mervis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:38 AM

I don't know if this solved my TVapps problems, which are the same as voiced throughout this thread, but I always try to exit using the right arrow button rather than the EXIT button or RED button. Since I started doing this I've only had problems with them once and a reset brought them back.

I also noticed the BKN for the Devils. They also have the Florida Panthers as MIA.

#31 OFFLINE   steelerfanmike

steelerfanmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts
  • LocationNj/pa border

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

I use the weather and sports apps all the time !!!!!! yeah whats the deal with the New Jersey Devils called BKN.... I know the Nets moved to Brooklyn but not the Devils...LOL

to see this BKN thing. Go under the hockey app than look up standings under the Atlantic column.

#32 OFFLINE   Mervis

Mervis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

My TV APPS activate fine now but all of the Sports ones have no teams listed just the scores. In other words my Blackhawk TV apps shows no teams playing but a score of 0-0 with 19:54 to paly in the third.

#33 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

My TV APPS activate fine now but all of the Sports ones have no teams listed just the scores. In other words my Blackhawk TV apps shows no teams playing but a score of 0-0 with 19:54 to paly in the third.

Been that way for me a couple weeks now.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#34 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

I would like to see TV Apps updated to more match and conform to DirecTV's UI. Like here is a neat example of Xfinity X1 sports app:
http://xfinity.comcast.net/x1/ <- click on Sports app to see the screen shot and description.

I like how their apps slide on the screen and show high definition details like the hockey rink, football field, baseball diamond, etc... and it goes into greater detail than just a simple score that is available on todays DirecTV scoreguide.

Also the Interactive elements need that graphic update because those HD mix channels like PGA or US Open, etc.. look all crystal clear, but bring up the scoreboard applications and all that and it just looks out of place.

My TV apps are working and I use the Scoreguide or Weather app. Would love to see an improvement. Maybe even a new robust developer API and app store. Be nice to go in and download apps like Yelp, YellowPages, imdb, eBay, Google maps (for traffic), a nice lean back facebook / twitter client, LastFM, SiriusXM, maybe even something like Angry Birds. Thing is we need good API's that support direct framebuffer draw for a speedy UI and also the SDK needs access to more I/O like audio so we can get things like slacker, IHeartRadio, Spotify, Sirius, etc..

Heck even ordering Pizza hut / Domino's home delivery from your remote control would be a neat novelty! I think Tivo had that.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#35 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,856 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

The only thing I'm having trouble with is in the NBA team app, it doesn't show the 2 teams names for the next scheduled game(other than day/time) it shows the final score but again doesn't show the team names. I have to go on the app just to,see the teams playing or who won or lost, No big deal but I prefer a quick glance of the teams playing/teams final score.

Edited by acostapimps, 10 March 2013 - 03:20 AM.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...