Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Picture breakups on CW network?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Is it just my setup, or are there more picture breakups on the CW network than on other networks? I record Nikita, and it is usually laced with breakups. I have tried both the satellite signal, and OTA. Could the problem be with my local CW station?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,570 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

It's certainly a local station issue if you're seeing the "breakups" on both DirecTV and off-air recordings.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Well, I would hesitate to go quite that far; those could be quite separate and different paths. It could be a reception issue for local, a reception issue for DTV (whatever feeds their uplink center), and/or both. It could even be local terrestrial interference at your receive site. It is obviously not CW itself, although the local CW station in my market has a lot of weird little short audio dropouts, and always has (which I assume is the station). One would have to assume that engineering in this market is sophisticated enough to not have the station signal breaking up for all viewers. Hard to stay employed that way.

Best thing to do is post this issue in the reception forum for your city over at AVS. But all that would really do is confirm or uncomfirm a common issue.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

If you're seeing the issue on the off the air signal as well, that would be the station's problem. However the CW on DTV has had problems for a long time. Currently I'm watching and recording Arrow on that network. I had also watched Smallville and later the LA Complex on the network. All those shows have at least one period of breakup/picture freeze during the broadcast. I've now learned to ignore it. It's been reported many times and DTV is aware of it. Fortunately it only happens once or twice during each broadcast but it does happen every time without exception. ABC on DTV had the problem at one time with the Lost show, it also had an instance of this every broadcast. That's been corrected. I'm no longer seeing this on any of the regular networks except for the CW.

I've spoken to local station engineers and they've admitted to certain issues in the past with the equipment that takes their feeds to DTV. One of the worst issues in Baltimore a couple of years ago was what is now called the MNT network ( my network television ). Picture/audio breakups were constant all day long. This went on for a year or two. I spoke to DTV and they have a list of problem stations which this one was on. They said their engineers were working on the issue but it took more than two years to correct it. Fortunately there is very little I watch on that network. So it could be a while before the CW issue is resolved, it's not a local station issue, I've spoken to others that use DTV to watch the network in other locations on different channels and they get the same occurrences on the programs I mentioned. But again if you're seeing it off the air as well you might consider looking up that station and sending an email to the station engineer. They usually respond quickly, you can even use Twitter.

spam firewall