Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2013 MLB Extra Innings Pricing Discussion

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

Do you guys and gals forget the controversy:)

On March 6, 2007, DirecTV signed a new seven-year carriage contract with the MLB. At first, it was to be an exclusive deal worth $700 million. However, as a result of viewer complaints and antitrust concerns - voiced by, among others, Massachusetts Senator John Kerry - MLB agreed to offer the package for renewal by cable systems and Dish Network. By March 9, negotiations had begun to try to settle the dispute, with a deadline of April 1, the first day of the MLB regular season.[3] MLB demanded that the cable systems bundle the renewal of the Extra Innings package with the MLB Network, a 24-hour network in the vein of NFL Network, NBA TV, and NHL Network that MLB launched on January 1, 2009. Furthermore, these systems were asked to place the channel on an expanded digital tier. At least one major system, Time Warner Cable, balked at the terms.[4]

The offer from the cable consortium to MLB would have matched the financing portion, but cable was only willing to put the MLB Network on a premium tier. Cable systems did guarantee to reach at least as many viewers of MLB Network as DirecTV will reach. MLB was not satisfied with the offer, and publicly claimed that the cable companies failed to meet more of the criteria for the deal than they had actually met.[5] However, while MLB wanted the cable systems to match the same offer as DirecTV, MLB would be providing more generous benefits to DirecTV for the very same offer: DirecTV would be receiving a stake in MLB Network, thereby barring cable systems from receiving the telecasts. Hence, MLB was accused of claiming that cable would not meet the same terms as DirecTV, while not offering the same deal to the cable consortium.[6]

As of the start of the season on April 2, only DirecTV had agreed to those terms and was able to retain Extra Innings. It would not be available on any cable system until after the deadline was extended and agreements were reached.[citation needed]

On April 4, MLB and iN DEMAND finally reached an agreement similar to the one that MLB reached with DirecTV. Cable companies that carry iN DEMAND resumed carrying MLB Extra Innings and also agreed to add the MLB Network upon its launch. iN DEMAND only had the authority to negotiate directly for and agree to add the MLB Network on their owners' cable systems which are made up by Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications and Advance/Newhouse (Bright House Networks); in turn, iN DEMAND got an equity stake in the MLB Network about the same as the one DirecTV received. Cablevision which had been asking for their own equity stake as terms for them to agree to add the MLB Network came to terms with iN DEMAND and Major League Baseball on May 4, 2007 which was iN DEMAND and MLB's deadline for cable companies and Dish Network to reach a deal. Dish never came to an agreement and as of January 2013 is still not carrying the package. Cablevision agreed to carry the MLB Network without getting the equity stake in it. Charter Communications also reached an agreement with MLB.[7]

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

InDemand runs EI for D*?

No. DirecTV does not use inDemand.

#23 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

No. DirecTV does not use inDemand.

MLB built a state of the art broadcast center and required every team to provide an SD & HD feed to the center. The providers along with MLB.TV have rights to these feeds as part of Extra Innings.

This was part of the reforms found in the 2007 agreement. Before that time extra innings was purely remapping RSNs on Directv. Earlier in the decade I spoke with one of the Directv attorneys negotiating the agreement with MLB. Having the rights provided by MLB was a cornerstone of the agreement. Directv did not want to have to find agreement with each provider and build infrastructure for OTA broadcasts. Also, it navigated the Comcast issue and had them receive Canadian feeds.

#24 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Do you guys and gals forget the controversy:)

Well, that answers my question. So 2013 is the last year of the current contract. I would imagine, therefore, that bundling of MLB EI and MLB.TV would more likely happen next year than this year.

I so remember that controversy. In a way we benefited from it in our household. We did not subscribe to EI at the time, but we did (and still do) subscribe to both Comcast and DirecTV. We got a free preview of EI from DirecTV the first week of the season (not available on cable), then we got another free preview from Comcast the second week of the season, after InDemand finally got the rights for EI. So, two free weeks instead of one.

#25 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

MLB built a state of the art broadcast center and required every team to provide an SD & HD feed to the center. The providers along with MLB.TV have rights to these feeds as part of Extra Innings.

This was part of the reforms found in the 2007 agreement. Before that time extra innings was purely remapping RSNs on Directv. Earlier in the decade I spoke with one of the Directv attorneys negotiating the agreement with MLB. Having the rights provided by MLB was a cornerstone of the agreement. Directv did not want to have to find agreement with each provider and build infrastructure for OTA broadcasts. Also, it navigated the Comcast issue and had them receive Canadian feeds.

So why doesn't Directv EI provide KCAL (Vin Scully) feeds of Dodgers games or WCIU feeds of Cubs/White Sox games?

#26 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

Satelliteracer would have to answer that question.

The big difference between NHL and MLB is the requirement the teams provide an SD and HD feed in MLB.

#27 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

What does this have to do with DirecTV EI being different and superior to inDemand EI?

#28 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

So why doesn't Directv EI provide KCAL (Vin Scully) feeds of Dodgers games or WCIU feeds of Cubs/White Sox games?

Contractual. They do have OTA feeds of other markets.

Anyway few Dodgers games are on KCAL anyway. Most are on FSN PT. Vinny does both KCAL and FSN home and west coast games, simulcasted on radio. Being on KCAL is no different than being on FSN

BTW, this is the last year of KCAL games anyway. All Dodgers games starting in 2014 will be on their new team owned RSN.

#29 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Contractual. They do have OTA feeds of other markets.

Anyway few Dodgers games are on KCAL anyway. Most are on FSN PT. Vinny does both KCAL and FSN home and west coast games, simulcasted on radio. Being on KCAL is no different than being on FSN

BTW, this is the last year of KCAL games anyway. All Dodgers games starting in 2014 will be on their new team owned RSN.

KCAL broadcast about 50 games last year so that's more than virtually any other OTA station. And this may be Vin's final season.

Anyway, you say that it's contractual. But Stoutman says "Directv did not want to have to find agreement with each provider and build infrastructure for OTA broadcasts."

#30 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Satelliteracer would have to answer that question.

The big difference between NHL and MLB is the requirement the teams provide an SD and HD feed in MLB.

I've seen this argument posted many times, but I'm not so sure there this is the case. As I understant it, MLB's requirement merely prevents a team from withholding the rights to use their broadcasts as part of EI at any price (like what happened with MSG HD and NHL Center Ice a while back). It is my understanding that DirecTV and InDemand still have to pay for equipment and license fees in order to use the feeds, which is why (for both MLB and NHL) DirecTV gives priority to feeds from the RSN's already carried as part of DirecTV's regular lineup.

You might recall, for example, the YES dispute from a year or two ago. It was resolved without interruption, but DirecTV explicitly stated that if they had to remove YES, they would also have to remove YES from MLB EI.

#31 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

KCAL broadcast about 50 games last year so that's more than virtually any other OTA station. And this may be Vin's final season.

Anyway, you say that it's contractual. But Stoutman says "Directv did not want to have to find agreement with each provider and build infrastructure for OTA broadcasts."

They don't need to. They already have the KCAL feed and send it down via spotbeam. There is no reason they cannot send that same feed via CONUS on an EI channel

#32 OFFLINE   tj218

tj218

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Any new info on EI this year? I still haven't gotten a renewal e-mail...

Are we sure they aren't bundling it with MLB.TV?

#33 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

and why no WGN A HD remapping?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#34 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Pricing is out, and its either 5 payments of 39.99 or 1 payment of 199.95 for newbies

#35 OFFLINE   the future is now

the future is now

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

i just got my renewal notice from DirecTV for the 2013 season:

You are all set to enjoy another exciting season of MLB EXTRA INNINGS. We are renewing you at the lowest price of 6 payments of $33.33/month...

total price for this year is $199.98, so it actually went down $9.96 this year.

Genie (HR34)
HR24
MLB Extra Innings

2010 and 2012 World Champions San Francisco Giants

#36 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

Pricing is out, and its either 5 payments of 39.99 or 1 payment of 199.95 for newbies

You are all set to enjoy another exciting season of MLB EXTRA INNINGS. We are renewing you at the lowest price of 6 payments of $33.33/month...

So newbies get it for $199.95 and auto-renew subs get it for $199.98? The latter are being ripped off by three cents. To the penny pinchers, this is an outrage!

#37 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

If this is bundled with mlb.tv i'll get it, if not i'll stick with mlb.tv. It is by far the best of the broadband prodcuts (compared to nhl gamecenter, nba gamepass, etc.)

#38 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

If this is bundled with mlb.tv i'll get it, if not i'll stick with mlb.tv. It is by far the best of the broadband prodcuts (compared to nhl gamecenter, nba gamepass, etc.)

Well MLB.TV is available now and it makes no mention of being bundled with Extra Innings.

#39 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

Well MLB.TV is available now and it makes no mention of being bundled with Extra Innings.

Damn, I was hopeful. I'll watch most games on tv but enough on tablet or phone that I need to have mlb.tv. If Directv offered the slingbox or similar that would also suffice. Oh well, maybe next year.

#40 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

Still too expensive IMO. The price needs to be more in-line with the MLBtv product. Better PQ with EI but many, many more features with MLBtv.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

spam firewall