Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

is it just me, or has tcm hd started airing movies in actual hd (not upconverted sd)?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jurples

jurples

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:37 AM

i dunno... back when tcm hd first launched, i used to be able to dvr movies in bunches and it hardly had any impact on my space available (i have a 2 TB external drive connected to my dvr). lately, though -- like, i'd say over the past month or so -- it seems like the recordings have been much more dense. has anyone else noticed this, too? is there a way to see the file sizes and verify whether this is the case?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

i dunno... back when tcm hd first launched, i used to be able to dvr movies in bunches and it hardly had any impact on my space available (i have a 2 TB external drive connected to my dvr). lately, though -- like, i'd say over the past month or so -- it seems like the recordings have been much more dense. has anyone else noticed this, too? is there a way to see the file sizes and verify whether this is the case?

No. It is still entirely up-converted.
DTV = Digital Television

#3 OFFLINE   JohnDG

JohnDG

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

In any case, the broadcasts are not up to par. TCM showed "Lawrence of Arabia" last Thanksgiving supposedly from an HD copy and the quality was sub-par. I stopped watching after about 10 minutes.

It looked much better on MGM.

jdg

#4 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

No. It is still entirely up-converted.

Not any more. There may be some Sd upconverts running, but they are airing mostly HD restores now.

#5 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

Not any more. There may be some Sd upconverts running, but they are airing mostly HD restores now.

...no. You're not understanding. They are up-converting everything. You can ask the network and they will tell you that as well.

Edited by Hoosier205, 31 January 2013 - 07:19 AM.

DTV = Digital Television

#6 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

What exactly is "upconverting"?

Is that the same thing as the non-HD DVR's that have an HDMI 1080p output that play regular DVD's and "enhance" the image?

If that's the case, it reminds me of stereo records in the early days. Instead of creating a new stereo recording, record companies came up with a goofy similar scheme known as "electronically re-channeled for stereo" where they sent a mono recording through a processor. The result generally sounded awful.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#7 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

I saw "Vertigo" on TCM last week and it was unbelievable. Whatever it was, HD, upconverted, whatever, the movie looked like it was made yesterday on videotape. All i want now is for TCM to show "Zulu" in all it's glory.

#8 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,657 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:25 AM

Per Wikipedia-Turner Classic Movies High Definition: In June 2009, Turner Classic Movies launched a high definition version of the channel, showing the same programming as it's standard-definition channel. Initial programming was not in native high definition and was instead upconverted from standard-definition, but benefited from the greater bandwidth allocated to the channel. Programs available on the high definition feed are broadcast in upconverted 1080i.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...