Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Genie (W/Samsung) - Installer know what he was doing?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RobInMN

RobInMN

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

I can't tell you by name what my old setup was by term (don't know what to call it), but I had one cable used from the dish to the 1x4 splitter.
I had (and kept) an HR-22, HR-24, H-24 and a broadband DECA.

Finishing basement and needed 2 more DTV locations, so I got a Genie and have a Samsung UN50ES6100 to use as an RVU client.

I also have 4 RG6 Quad Sheild running to the garage. One set was a fused together satellite with ground wire, plus 2 extra. The original installer used the satellite set to pull to the dish and left the other 2 coild up in hte garage.

Yesterday's installer said that he had to convert the dish to "old style" and put a SWiM16 at the dish and used only the 2 wires that were already at the dish to bring the signal to the basement. Left the other 2 coiled up.

Down in the basement, he left the 1x4 splitter as-is, and added a 1x2 splitter on the second RG6 run to the dish (SWiM16).

Now here's part of the problem, we were not actually ready with the wiring the Samsung location. We were able to throw a small 20" TV on the Genie in the theater just to get that configured and up & running.

The installer admitted that he had never done an RVU TV, only the Genie clients (31's). He put the 1x2 in there because he thought that the TV would connect to the DTV network via the coax, just like a 31. He had to call in to verify what I told him, that it came over the regular home networking.

When I told the installer that I intended on using the Samsung and not a 31, he made some comment about the remote, said the remotes to make that work aren't out yet. He was under the belief that the Samsung remote would not work and obviously the DTV remote wouldn't. Even the guy on the phone made a similar comment about the remote. I told him that people on here have used Samsungs and I don't remember reading anything about special remotes or anything other than a feature or 2 not available or directly available using the Samsung remote.

The other thing I asked about, because he left he broadband DECA inplace, was that I thought I read on here that the Genie, if connected to the home network, would act inplace of the DECA. The installer had never heard that, and he asked the guy on the phone and that guy sai that it would put the Genie and any Genie clients on the internet, but it would not act as a broadband DECA to any of the existing equpment.

Since he had never done a SmartTV RVU Client, he must not have known (or cared) about getting it registered with DirecTV, he never said anything about it. We could have probably done something to hook it up temporarily. As it is, I haven't finished teminating the wiring and hooking it up. Since he left, there's no hurry.

So...
1) Did he do the dish right? "Old style"
2) Should he have put a SWiM 16 at the dish? or should he have put that in the basement instead of the 1x2 & 1x4. How many cables would be needed between dish & SWiM16?
3) Short of a function or 2, should the Samsung remote work fine?
4) Is he correct about the broadband DECA? Am I remembering incorrectly or mis-reading about the Genie acting as one?

Thanks. I should be finishing the wiring and getting the TV hooked up today. I'll have to call DirecTV myself to get it registered and working with the Genie.

Edited by RobInMN, 24 January 2013 - 09:12 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,300 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

See my edits below:

So...
1) Did he do the dish right? "Old style"

Yes, for the SWM-16 to work, you need a legacy LNB with 4 outputs. The SWiM LNB only supports 8 tuners.

2) Should he have put a SWiM 16 at the dish? or should he have put that in the basement instead of the 1x2 & 1x4. How many cables would be needed between dish & SWiM16?

The SWM-16 needs 4 cables from the LNB. It can be located outside or anywhere that is convenient.

Not sure on this one. I don't have a Samsung.

4) Is he correct about the broadband DECA? Am I remembering incorrectly or mis-reading about the Genie acting as one?

The HR34 CAN act as a broadband DECA and bridge the coax network to your CAT5 home network.

Thanks. I should be finishing the wiring and getting the TV hooked up today. I'll have to call DirecTV myself to get it registered and working with the Genie.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#3 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

until the wiring from the dish is corrected Don't bother calling to activate the receiver, CALL and have another installer return!
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

In post http://www.dbstalk.c...193#post3152193 is a DIRECTV remote to Samsung remote (2011 model) cheat sheet to help. What I miss the most is the skip forward/back keys, makes it a real PITA for me and the wife skipping commercial breaks.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#5 OFFLINE   RobInMN

RobInMN

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

until the wiring from the dish is corrected Don't bother calling to activate the receiver, CALL and have another installer return!

Elaborate? Go Beavs said it was right.

#6 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

I don't have my Samsung hooked up as a RVU, but it is listed in my Sources as available. I tired it out, but it said it would only work as a wired connection and I've got the tv hooked up as wireless.

I'm running some wiring, so I may hook up an ethernet cable and let you know if the remote works or not. Probably won't be until the weekend though.

#7 OFFLINE   RobInMN

RobInMN

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

In post [url removed since I don't have 5 posts] is a DIRECTV remote to Samsung remote (2011 model) cheat sheet to help. What I miss the most is the skip forward/back keys, makes it a real PITA for me and the wife skipping commercial breaks.

Thanks! I missed that post. I also use the skips, but I have heard/read that many people say hitting FF 4 times actually skips faster than hitting skip 6 time. I'll have to give that a shot.

#8 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

I don't have my Samsung hooked up as a RVU, but it is listed in my Sources as available. I tired it out, but it said it would only work as a wired connection and I've got the tv hooked up as wireless.

I'm running some wiring, so I may hook up an ethernet cable and let you know if the remote works or not. Probably won't be until the weekend though.

You may run into problems when you try to get a RVU client added to your account. They insisted that DIRECTV send out a tech to make sure it's coax connected and install a DECA-BB and not using an ethernet connection. I tried talking them out of it but insisted but didn't charge me for the visit. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#9 OFFLINE   RobInMN

RobInMN

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

You may run into problems when you try to get a RVU client added to your account. They insisted that DIRECTV send out a tech to make sure it's coax connected and install a DECA-BB and not using an ethernet connection. I tried talking them out of it but insisted but didn't charge me for the visit. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

Luckily, on my second try, I got a very helpful rep that took care of me over the phone. She put me on hold for a while while she figured out how to do it, but once she was back on, it took her maybe a minute.

The first person insisted that the only possible way to set up a TV as a Genie client was with the C31 box and I needed a $99 lease deposit etc. I finally asked for a supervisor, but they never appeared. It was during this time that I called on another phone line and got the helpful rep.

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

The Samsung remote does work with the RVU client, but DIRECTV's own RC70RVU remote worked better. Unfortunately those are not currently being made and the replacement isn't ready yet. So he was kind of right and kind of wrong.

Here's a cheat sheet that shows you the button matchups between the Samsung and the DIRECTV remote:
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall