Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DECA ordering and configuration question

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

I've been using MRV on a self installed ethernet network. I'm thinking I'll upgrade to a supported DECA configuration. I want to confirm what I need to order and how best to configure it.

Current set-up:

HR24-500
HR23-700
HR20-700

In central wiring closet:

SWM8 (I did not see a green label)
1x8 SWM Splitter (green label)
SWM Power Inserter

I think I will need to order the following (any advice on which generation?)

2-DECA Adapters (For HR23 and HR20)
1-CCK (DECA Adapter and Power)
1- Band Stop Filter

Configuration?

SWM1 Port --> Power Inserter

SWM2 Port --> BSF --> 1x8 Splitter --> 3 DVRs and CCK/Internet

Each splitter port would go to each DVR one splitter port would go to CCK

Is this correct? I have a direct connection available in my wiring location so don't need wireless. Should I go with the 2nd generation DECA adapters? Which CCK should I purchase, I'm confused about the choices there.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,876 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I'd go ahead and order the wcck even if you use it directly connected. At $30 it's about the price of another DECA and PI. And sometime in the future you may want wireless. It's a pretty flexible device, even to the point of using it as a wireless adapter without using the DECA port.

If you're ordering from ebay or SS, I'd also get a 4 way splitter and replace the 8 particularly if any of your coax runs are long. 8-ways are used way too much and have a higher loss.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   nike5580

nike5580

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, New Hampshire

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

The wcck can also be wall mounted, which might come in handy in your wiring closet.

#4 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,876 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

And throw in a couple of two-way splitters just to avoid shipping cost in the future.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,644 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I don't see why you would need a band stop filter there. It would work, since you're not sharing to SWM1 at all, but it's not the way most people wire it.

I've gotten varying responses as far as wiring the way you suggest. Some people say it's ok, as in, "why wouldn't it be?" Others suggest that having no receivers on SWM1 causes some sort of problem down the line.

Here's what I would do instead:

First of all, the SWM8 can be powered through the Legacy 3 port. This is how it's done in commercial installs. Keeping the PI away from the receivers guarantees that you will never fry a receiver by hooking it up wrong. Or you can put the PI between any DVR and the SWM and it won't be a problem as long as you don't hook it up backwards.

Now, I'd avoid that 1x8 splitter, you don't need it. The power levels through a 1x4 are quite a bit higher, it depends on how you measure them because dBm's are logarithmic but suffice it to say, don't use a 1x8 unless you have to. Use a 1x4 instead. You can run a separate line to the PI if you want and still have room for 3 DVRs if you want. Remember to terminate unused connections, including those on the PI.

All that can run from SWM1 and you can keep SWM2 capped off.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

I don't see why you would need a band stop filter there. It would work, since you're not sharing to SWM1 at all, but it's not the way most people wire it.

I've gotten varying responses as far as wiring the way you suggest. Some people say it's ok, as in, "why wouldn't it be?" Others suggest that having no receivers on SWM1 causes some sort of problem down the line.

Here's what I would do instead:

First of all, the SWM8 can be powered through the Legacy 3 port. This is how it's done in commercial installs. Keeping the PI away from the receivers guarantees that you will never fry a receiver by hooking it up wrong. Or you can put the PI between any DVR and the SWM and it won't be a problem as long as you don't hook it up backwards.

Now, I'd avoid that 1x8 splitter, you don't need it. The power levels through a 1x4 are quite a bit higher, it depends on how you measure them because dBm's are logarithmic but suffice it to say, don't use a 1x8 unless you have to. Use a 1x4 instead. You can run a separate line to the PI if you want and still have room for 3 DVRs if you want. Remember to terminate unused connections, including those on the PI.

All that can run from SWM1 and you can keep SWM2 capped off.

Thanks! Some clarifying questions/comments:

1) So either hook up the PI to Legacy 3 port or hook it up to one port of the splitter (between the splitter port and 1 of the DVR's?). Any recommendation one way or the other?

2) Not sure why I have a 1x8. It's been awhile. Maybe a remnant of the 2 lines to each DVR or something or I had it for future expansion. But I like the suggestions you and others have made for better performance to go with a 1x4 as I have 4 ports unused right now. I'll order one of those.

3) Right now all 3 DVRs are connected to the internet through my router (and a switch). So if I move to DECA, I assume then I only have 1 internet connection (through the CCK) now for the whole DECA group of DVRs?

4) Any other configuration I need to worry about? Or is it as simple as turning everything off, configuring and cabling, and then turning all the DVRs back on and it will auto discover the network?

Thanks all! It also sounds like the wireless CCK can also do wired.

#7 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Oh and one more question. It sounds like I don't need a band stop filter. I was confused about that one as I thought I read if you have a green label SWM-8 you don't need one and if you don't have a green label SWM-8 you do. Can you clarify that?

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,644 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

1) So either hook up the PI to Legacy 3 port or hook it up to one port of the splitter (between the splitter port and 1 of the DVR's?). Any recommendation one way or the other?

If you're not afraid of an extra wire I would go in through legacy 3. I'm just afraid of frying a receiver. But the installers do them in series all the time, and that's how I did my mom's install.

2) Not sure why I have a 1x8. It's been awhile. Maybe a remnant of the 2 lines to each DVR or something or I had it for future expansion. But I like the suggestions you and others have made for better performance to go with a 1x4 as I have 4 ports unused right now. I'll order one of those.

Excellent.

3) Right now all 3 DVRs are connected to the internet through my router (and a switch). So if I move to DECA, I assume then I only have 1 internet connection (through the CCK) now for the whole DECA group of DVRs?

Correct. Disconnect the ethernet cables from all receivers, they will all get internet from the Cinema Connection Kit, once you connect the DECAs to the older receivers.

4) Any other configuration I need to worry about? Or is it as simple as turning everything off, configuring and cabling, and then turning all the DVRs back on and it will auto discover the network?

If you are changing from legacy wiring to SWM (It sounds like you aren't, but other people may read this,) you need to disconnect the lines into SAT2, take off the B-Band converters, and re-run satellite setup making sure the multiswitch type is set to SWM.

Yes it can, that's how I use mine. You can buy the wired one from your choice of internet retailers, I had a wireless one from a previous install.

Oh and one more question. It sounds like I don't need a band stop filter. I was confused about that one as I thought I read if you have a green label SWM-8 you don't need one and if you don't have a green label SWM-8 you do. Can you clarify that?

If you feel your SWM is "really" that old, as in pre-2009, a band stop filter is a good bet. But honestly, it's been so long since I saw a SWM that old, the situation didn't cross my mind.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

Another question.

I could add the CCK to one of the 1x4 splitter ports and then connect it to my router.

Is there an option to add it at the DVR location? I have an internet connection to the router there as well, could it be added off of one of the coax ports either on the DVR or inline with the DECA adapter?

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

1. I would use the Legacy port to power the PI. As Stuart mentioned, that will keep anything from getting fried accidentally.

2. You. Go with the 4-way splitter.

3. Correct. The CCK bridges your home network to the DECA Cloud allowing all the receivers to have Internet access over the coax network.

4. That's it. When powering back up, power up the SWM first via the PI, the CCK, and then do one receiver at a time making sure that each has access to the Internet before you move on to the next one.

And yes, the w-CCK can be hooked up to operate in a wired fashion.

- Merg

Edit: Apparently some posts that were there that weren't showing for me showed up after I made this one. :)

Edited by The Merg, 24 January 2013 - 08:45 PM.

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

Another question.

I could add the CCK to one of the 1x4 splitter ports and then connect it to my router.

Is there an option to add it at the DVR location? I have an internet connection to the router there as well, could it be added off of one of the coax ports either on the DVR or inline with the DECA adapter?

The CCK can be placed anywhere. The wireless version has a pass through port so it can be installed in-line (one side would go back to the SWM and the other side can go to a receiver). The wired version has to be on its own coax. If you have an Ethernet connection near a receiver and are using the wired version, you could just install a 2-way splitter there with one output going to the CCK and the other to your receiver.

- Merg

#12 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

The CCK can be placed anywhere. The wireless version has a pass through port so it can be installed in-line (one side would go back to the SWM and the other side can go to a receiver). The wired version has to be on its own coax. If you have an Ethernet connection near a receiver and are using the wired version, you could just install a 2-way splitter there with one output going to the CCK and the other to your receiver.

- Merg

Thanks! With the wired version could you also connect it to the 2nd satellite input on a DVR that is unused rather than a 2-way splitter? I often wondered if the two coax inputs are somehow connected internal to the DVR and would function as a LAN.

#13 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Thanks! With the wired version could you also connect it to the 2nd satellite input on a DVR that is unused rather than a 2-way splitter? I often wondered if the two coax inputs are somehow connected internal to the DVR and would function as a LAN.

The SAT2 input cannot be used that way. The 2-way splitter is the best way to do it.

- Merg

#14 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Thanks

#15 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

All my equipment has arrived so will install this weekend. I want to be clear on where to put the Band stop filter. My SWM-8 is non-green label so I need to install a BSF.

I assum you put it between the SWM-8 and the 4-way splitter as follows?

SWM1 port --> capped (PI will be off legacy 3 port)

SWM2 Port --> Band stop filter --> 1x4 Splitter --> 3 DVRs and CCK/Internet

Or does it go between one of the 1x4 splitter ports and one of the DVRs/CCK?

Does the direction it is placed matter? (I haven't looked at the connectors, maybe there is only one way direction to insert it anyway).

#16 OFFLINE   nike5580

nike5580

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, New Hampshire

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Yes, you will want to place the BSF between your SWM and your 4 way splitter. I dont think it matters which way the BSF is installed.

Edited by nike5580, 31 January 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Thank you!

#18 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

In case anyone is interested. I was able to get the equipment I needed for a total of $47.94 off eBay. I already had a SWM-8 and PI so I did not have to purchase those.

#19 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

The SWM is usually the biggest expense. A SWM16 goes for around $270 still.

- Merg

#20 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Not on eBay. I've bought a SWM 16 with power inserter, and two 8 way splitters for around $80 with shipping.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

spam firewall