Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR44 and C41 clients now have a launch date

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,388 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

I am guessing $400, and yes, Solid Signal is the place to go as far as I know.

I would love such a unit! But overall I am happy with the gear that I have.

Would you view post# 40 in this thread and tell me if I used the second question mark correctly? Kinda puzzled me. BTW, if I get a 44, I'll only accept it if it is free of cost. I can wait until all the bugs are worked out.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

So, what's the plan? Do they even have one? If they do away with the 2 tuner DVRs I'd need at least 8 of the Genies to feed my 8 plasmas and a non-DVR receiver isn't gonna make anyone in my family happy. Does their plan include, "How do I back up my content?"? (Did I use that second question mark correctly?)

Which brings me to my second question: Why only one on an account?

Rich

Rich - my money is they don't take the extreme subscriber like you into consideration!:D

I suspect the 1 per account has two reasons - first that automatically means a SWM16 and second - their code-monkeys would have to write code so the clients and HR44s wouldn't get confused.

I'm sure the SWM16 is their first consideration... But I wonder how much trouble having two HR34/44 and 5 or 6 clients would cause in their 'get it out the door yesterday' software engineering environment.

#43 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

So, what's the plan? Do they even have one? If they do away with the 2 tuner DVRs I'd need at least 8 of the Genies to feed my 8 plasmas and a non-DVR receiver isn't gonna make anyone in my family happy. Does their plan include, "How do I back up my content?"? (Did I use that second question mark correctly?)

Which brings me to my second question: Why only one on an account?

Rich

Case in point earlier on the other thread about always noting the context, I think you meant you need at least 8 of the "Genie Clients." ;)

Unless you're saying you need 40 satellite tuners. :D

#44 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

... their code-monkeys would have to write code so the clients and HR44s wouldn't get confused.

Given that each client gets paired to the Genie with a PIN, they don't get "confused".
A.K.A VOS

#45 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,296 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Would you view post# 40 in this thread and tell me if I used the second question mark correctly? Kinda puzzled me. BTW, if I get a 44, I'll only accept it if it is free of cost. I can wait until all the bugs are worked out.

Rich

I think it's O.K. It would be simpler to just say "... does their plan include backing up content?"
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#46 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Are the D* installers they send out like independent contractors or do they show up in a D* Van as you see with the installer forces of AT&T or Cox etc? I can't recall seeing a D* van or not in OKC?

#47 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,388 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Case in point earlier on the other thread about always noting the context, I think you meant you need at least 8 of the "Genie Clients." ;)

Unless you're saying you need 40 satellite tuners. :D

No, I truly meant the Genies. I also said in that post that nobody in my home wants a non-DVR receiver. That should have clarified it for you, no?

I've got 24 tuners in use now. Another 16 couldn't hurt... :lol:

Rich

#48 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,388 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

I think it's O.K. It would be simpler to just say "... does their plan include backing up content?"

I did that at first and then I thought the sentence in parenthesis had it's own question mark and perhaps it would be proper to add the second question mark. Doesn't look right with both "?" marks, but seemed to need one. I guess I over-thought that one.

Thanx,

Rich

#49 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,388 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Are the D* installers they send out like independent contractors or do they show up in a D* Van as you see with the installer forces of AT&T or Cox etc? I can't recall seeing a D* van or not in OKC?

We get sub-contractors with D* emblazoned on their trucks. Service on that level has improved very much.

Rich

#50 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Local installers are DirecTV employees.
Offices are down on I-240 West of the Base, there is a big electronic sign.
They have done good work since DirecTV took over the contractor a few years ago.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#51 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Given that each client gets paired to the Genie with a PIN, they don't get "confused".

I just figured there would be more code to write if there are multiple HR34/44s on the same network... Just a guess... But I do know that more code = bad thing!

What would your theory on 'One HR34/44 only rule' be?

#52 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Let me just call these "thoughts":

DirecTV seems to focus on a four room/TV customer. One Genie & 3 clients.

"I suspect" supply is impacting the current limit to some degree.

DirecTV is promoting the Genie heavily these days.
A.K.A VOS

#53 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

My first guess would be inventory availability. Back when DirecTV was doing the Mpeg-4 conversion and requiring that people move from the HR10-250, in order to keep all of their HD programming, it was very difficult to get multiple HR-2x's for a while (although they allowed people to "purchase" additional leased HR-2x's from retailers at the time).

#54 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,282 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

If it was mentioned I missed, what is going to take to be sure you get a HR44? Is it going to be like regular DVRs where to be sure you get an HR24 you have to go to Solid Signal? Or will he HR44 be in its own class? Knowing the policy of "A DVR is a DVR" I would suspect a policy of "A Genie is a Genie" to be likely
My Setup

#55 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Yes I think it will be just like that. You won't be able to get a specific model from DIRECTV.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#56 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

Local installers are DirecTV employees.
Offices are down on I-240 West of the Base, there is a big electronic sign.
They have done good work since DirecTV took over the contractor a few years ago.

Thanks dettxw! I'm feeling better now, I think I'm just going to let it ride and go with all the positive input from you and other D* subscribers and trust my gut that this is the right way to move. If I end up regretting it at least I know who in Choctaw to come after, jk...

#57 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

If it was mentioned I missed, what is going to take to be sure you get a HR44? Is it going to be like regular DVRs where to be sure you get an HR24 you have to go to Solid Signal? Or will he HR44 be in its own class? Knowing the policy of "A DVR is a DVR" I would suspect a policy of "A Genie is a Genie" to be likely

Stuart is correct. A genie will be a genie. With that said, the market for HR44's will have to grow. Very doubtful they will launch the HR44 across he country at the same time. Supply is, again, the biggest factor there.

I can only assume that getting an HR44 will be on the rare side until closer to third quarter based on area.

#58 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

I hope by the time i go back to directv in the fall of this year, they will offer me a free hr44 genie like they do right now with the hr 34.If not i'll just wait until they do. I'd rather have the latest tech,of course i know they may have something newer and better by then. although i hear verizons coming out with a new 6 tuner media player soon,I still want to go back to directv because of the way they do nba league pass (mainly dual feeds and all celtic games in HD) plus directv spreads the payments $29.99 over 6 months while verizon charges $44.99 over 4 months.

#59 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

Since they (stupidly) omitted the optical digital audio port on the HR34, MAYBE indicating a need for an optical output may be a way to force a HR44? Worth a shot anyway I guess, when the time comes.

#60 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

Well if SolidSignal will charge around $400 for one, I'll have to wait it out. That's too much. I'll pay $200 but not $400.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

Protected By... spam firewall...And...