Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR44 and C41 clients now have a launch date

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,357 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

Since they (stupidly) omitted the optical digital audio port on the HR34, MAYBE indicating a need for an optical output may be a way to force a HR44? Worth a shot anyway I guess, when the time comes.

REally? For a ten buck audio coax?? While convenient for those already with optical cables, there's no need- other than marketing (which is quite enough reason!)- for optical.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

I respectfully disagree. While you can get an adapter... optical seems to be the de facto for soundbars.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#63 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,357 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

I respectfully disagree. While you can get an adapter... optical seems to be the de facto for soundbars.

Oh, daayyaaaam! My bad: I forgot about compatibility on the other end.... Everything I have takes either, lame excuse, but I overlooked devices having only optical input.

I was thinking technically- there's no advantage to optical in for short run audio, is there?

#64 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

Oh, daayyaaaam! My bad: I forgot about compatibility on the other end.... Everything I have takes either, lame excuse, but I overlooked devices having only optical input.

I was thinking technically- there's no advantage to optical in for short run audio, is there?

Some say that they can hear a difference. I can't. Most of my stuff gives me an option and I've stuck with the optical.

Rich

#65 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Let's please not encourage them to cater to...soundbars. Yuck.
DTV = Digital Television

#66 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,357 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

Some say that they can hear a difference. I can't. Most of my stuff gives me an option and I've stuck with the optical.

Rich

Heh. Some say Dish's PQ is better(!!!) So I am asking if there's a technical reason why optical - or rather, if it- is better in some way than coax.

#67 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

Heh. Some say Dish's PQ is better(!!!) So I am asking if there's a technical reason why optical - or rather, if it- is better in some way than coax.

http://www.audioholi...tal-connections

Q: Between optical and coaxial, which connection is going to give the better sound quality, and why?

A: " Better" is relative. In a harsh environment, optical may have advantages. By "harsh" I mean:

Cable runs over 10ft

Cable runs in close proximity to video and power cords emanating RF noise

In most cases, the above conditions would result in negligible impacts on the signal quality since the signal being transmitted (PCM or bitstream) is sampled at low frequencies (44-48KHz) and thus are more immune to noise impairments.

However, using optical cables can minimize the potential of the above mentioned problems and thus may help to reduce common mode noise. The only negative about using optical cables is the connection is not always as secure as a coax one, and can sometimes be compromised easily by moving components frequently. In addition, optical cables are usually more expensive than coax ones.

Bottom Line: Using optical cables for your digital connections may help minimize susceptibility of coupling RF noise into the line and reduce loss for long runs (10 feet or more). However, optical cables tend to be more costly and sensitive to abrupt external forces, which may potentially weaken the connection over time. In any event, either connection method should yield excellent and comparable results in most cases.

DTV = Digital Television

#68 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

Probably a subjective argument.

Rich

#69 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Probably a subjective argument.

Rich

Or just read what I just posted.
DTV = Digital Television

#70 OFFLINE   Mcmiller519

Mcmiller519

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

I know some techs just received the 44's and 41's this week to do more beta testing

#71 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Let's please not encourage them to cater to...soundbars. Yuck.

Most soundbars sound much better than tv speakers. That's enough for some.

#72 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,357 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Thanks. Better for some, not as good for other situations.

#73 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Thanks. Better for some, not as good for other situations.

Just watched Ray Edwards demo the HR44/C41 on the latest "Must See" official training video for the field techs. posted today.

Unfortunately the release schedule the video gave for the HR44/C41 will be to select test markets in late Feb., and not nationwide until mid to late April.

So we'll just have to see about this alleged "Feb. 7" date then I guess.

#74 OFFLINE   ryman

ryman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

February 19th is the date set for pilot-launch - have not seend anything indicating Feb 7th - national launch will depend on how quickly they can work a majority of the bugs out.
To each his own...

HR34-700 connected to Samsung 46" LED

(2) C31-700 Clients (1 connected WiFi adapter)

(2) HR24-500's

HR22-100

H24-700

Directv nomad

All connected via SWM16 to Ka/Ku5 and 36" International

#75 OFFLINE   ryman

ryman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

Good news is DTV incorporated digital coaxial and optical audio in this unit
To each his own...

HR34-700 connected to Samsung 46" LED

(2) C31-700 Clients (1 connected WiFi adapter)

(2) HR24-500's

HR22-100

H24-700

Directv nomad

All connected via SWM16 to Ka/Ku5 and 36" International

#76 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

back to the question of would I get an HR34 or HR44 or is a Genie a Genie?

Why continue to make an HR34? Why not have the current vendor making the HR34 (if it's different from who is making the HR44) just start making HR44's?

To me the "x" in HR2x or HRx4 should be more like a model year. Are they still making HR21's HR22s? HR23?

I understand that there might be a volume of HR34's that need to be sold and there might be some contractual agreement to produce a certain amount, but to me it makes sense to start manufacturing the newest model.

#77 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,999 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

back to the question of would I get an HR34 or HR44 or is a Genie a Genie?

As far as DIRECTV is concerned it will probably be a Genie is a Genie, just like a HR21/22/23 is a HD DVR. Maybe though for replacement purposes if a HR44 is installed and using the built in wireless DECA it will be flagged on the account a replacement would also be a HR44?

Why continue to make an HR34? Why not have the current vendor making the HR34 (if it's different from who is making the HR44) just start making HR44's?

Don't know if they are still making HR34's or just going through inventory. It has been noted here that there are three companies that will be making the HR44, one of which is Pace that makes the HR34.

To me the "x" in HR2x or HRx4 should be more like a model year. Are they still making HR21's HR22s? HR23?

I don't know for sure but I'd doubt it, why should they? Remember DIRECTV gets a bunch of these back all the time from customers that cancel service, upgrade service or a broken one that gets fixed and sent back out. IIRC a recent financial call said they now have a four year life expectancy on HD DVR's before they write them off.

I understand that there might be a volume of HR34's that need to be sold and there might be some contractual agreement to produce a certain amount, but to me it makes sense to start manufacturing the newest model.

Again, who says they aren't? Could be there are warehouses around the country with palets of HR44's sitting around waiting to be released.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#78 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Your answers really don't surprise me. It would be nice to have insight on how the hardware lifecycle works.

#79 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

I don't know what else you would want to know. DIRECTV products don't have model years like cars. All HR2x are considered equivalent unless you have a specific need for OTA compatibility. I believe that all Genies will be considered the same way.

I can tell you this, manufacturing contracts start and stop. For example, DIRECTV made the R15 from 2005 until about 2008. Then they stopped, and started making the R16 and R22. They stopped making the R22 and, believe it or not, started making the R15 again. Now, I believe that if they are making anything at all it is the R16. I have reason to believe that they have made all the SD DVRs they will ever make, and anyone who gets into an SD DVR now will be getting "new old stock" (to borrow a term from the auto biz) or refurbished gear.

If you have specific questions I will answer them to the extent that I am allowed and able.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#80 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

I don't know what else you would want to know. DIRECTV products don't have model years like cars. All HR2x are considered equivalent unless you have a specific need for OTA compatibility. I believe that all Genies will be considered the same way.

I can tell you this, manufacturing contracts start and stop. For example, DIRECTV made the R15 from 2005 until about 2008. Then they stopped, and started making the R16 and R22. They stopped making the R22 and, believe it or not, started making the R15 again. Now, I believe that if they are making anything at all it is the R16. I have reason to believe that they have made all the SD DVRs they will ever make, and anyone who gets into an SD DVR now will be getting "new old stock" (to borrow a term from the auto biz) or refurbished gear.

If you have specific questions I will answer them to the extent that I am allowed and able.

Thanks. I must admit that after I hit "submit reply" I'm seeing weaknesses in my thoughts.

I understand that the model year theory doesn't hold true, but like you said there is probably some overlap between one version and the next of a R, H, HR2x and HRx4.

I was thinking out loud that most likely the odds of getting an HR44 in the near future are pretty good because there are only 2 models compared to the HR21, 22, 23, and 24 you could get (HR20 no longer sent out?)

Edited by woj027, 01 February 2013 - 01:49 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...