Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rangers-Flyers Blacked Out on Both MSG and NHLN

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mulliniks

mulliniks

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Time to vent a little, and maybe there are others in the same predicament and have thoughts on what can be done to fix this. I really really really really had hoped that these blackouts wouldn't crop up again this year, but wishful thinking, I guess. I'm up here in the Hartford, CT area and pay for NHLCI because I'd like to be able to watch my Rangers. I usually can, except when the Rangers are shown on NHLN, like tonight. Then, I think because NHLN uses different rules than what MSG would use had the game only been shown on MSG, I get blacked out. I'm too sick to start making phone calls to random people at NHLN or MSG right now, hoping to get somebody who knows something about this (like I might if I felt better), so I suppose I'll check in on the Islanders and Sabres games to get updates on the Rangers between periods. And there's nothing DirecTV can do on their end. I called, just to check, but that was a dead end, like always. I understand completely when I have to watch Bruins-Rangers games on NESN, since I'm in Bruins territory. But all I wanted to do tonight was get home from work and watch some hockey. I can still do that, but just not the team I had hoped to watch. Done with the venting.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   brroland19

brroland19

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

I called Direct Tv and was told by CSR that "The game didn't sell out, and the NHL blacked out the game". Hard to believe Rangers/Flyers didn't sell out?!?!? :confused::nono::confused::nono:

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,317 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Sell-outs (or non sell-outs) don't impact blackouts on NHL CI.

From the NHL web site:

WHY ARE THERE BLACKOUTS?
Blackout restrictions exist to protect the local telecasters of each NHL game in the local markets of the teams. Keep in mind that blackout policies and restrictions are different for every sports package that your system may carry. (NHL CENTER ICE is designed for the NHL fan who wants to see NHL games in addition to those which involve the team(s) in their local markets).

If you are located in a team's television territory, check your local listings for all locally televised games. NHL CENTER ICE is not able to televise these games.

If you are located in a team's television territory and their local regional sports network is not available on your current cable or satellite provider, you will not be able to see these games in NHL CENTER ICE. This is a distribution issue between the regional sports network and the cable/satellite provider. The blackout remains intact as the local regional sports network has the rights to these games in your area.

Blackouts are not based on arena sell-outs.

#4 OFFLINE   mulliniks

mulliniks

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

That can't be right. It's not like the Rangers are playing in Columbus. It's Flyers-Rangers. Philadelphia is close enough for some Rangers fans to drive to the game, if they wanted to. Those games sell out, even if NHL tickets aren't the cheapest around and even if the compressed schedule due to the lockout sort of screws up everybody's schedule.

#5 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

MSG is open for the NYC DMA. It seems like it should be open for Hartford as well. I'm not sure what's going on.
DTV = Digital Television

#6 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Not sure what county you are in, but some counties in Connecticut and Pennsylvania that overlap are limited to a certain amount of games a year via MSG. Usually it's 50 games but I don't know what the altered number is for the shorter season.

#7 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

I would suspect that the zip code for you is in MSG territory, but Directv does not pay for Rangers and Knicks. This was the case on another thread when I researched his zip code.

Edited by stoutman, 24 January 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

Not sure what county you are in, but some counties in Connecticut and Pennsylvania that overlap are limited to a certain amount of games a year via MSG. Usually it's 50 games but I don't know what the altered number is for the shorter season.

This link is from msg tv's FAQ. Only 50 games are carried north of Fairfield County CT.
http://msginsider.co...tworks/faq.html

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#9 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

This link is from msg tv's FAQ. Only 50 games are carried north of Fairfield County CT.
http://msginsider.co...tworks/faq.html

That's for the full season, do you know if the number changed since it's only 48 games this year?

#10 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

Ok, I guess I will share a little more. The 50 game rule is suspended this year. No extended market Rangers games will be affected by the rule of 50. All games are available. The issue this year is unique to some extended market areas in which Directv has chosen not to purchase the license to show the games from MSG. Since MSG is the rights holder for these zip codes, the NHL will blackout NHL National telecasts to these viewers when the Rangers are playing.

Bottom line...the cost of RSN and complexity of the contracts are at the root of the issue. The customers need to call Directv to find remedies.

#11 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,740 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

Ok, I guess I will share a little more. The 50 game rule is suspended this year. No extended market Rangers games will be affected by the rule of 50. All games are available. The issue this year is unique to some extended market areas in which Directv has chosen not to purchase the license to show the games from MSG. Since MSG is the rights holder for these zip codes, the NHL will blackout NHL National telecasts to these viewers when the Rangers are playing.

Bottom line...the cost of RSN and complexity of the contracts are at the root of the issue. The customers need to call Directv to find remedies.

Are they still blacked out even with NHLCI?

#12 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Some months ago, there was another thread about this. It seems DirecTV is doing this in a number of markets in the country (i.e. people in fringe areas of a team are finding themselves in a "black hole" where they're inside the team's territory but can't watch that team). It's a shame, but I understand the business side of things. These RSN's are getting really expensive, and it's getting to the point where it's better economically to stop covering all areas (and lose business in those areas) than to serve those areas and pay that much more for the channels.

I fear this is only going to get worse. The whole system may eventually collapse, the way things are going.

#13 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Are they still blacked out even with NHLCI?

No, because extended markets in Directv get home and away feeds of Rangers game. The problem occurs when NHL Network shows the game and CI does not exist.

#14 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Some months ago, there was another thread about this. It seems DirecTV is doing this in a number of markets in the country (i.e. people in fringe areas of a team are finding themselves in a "black hole" where they're inside the team's territory but can't watch that team). It's a shame, but I understand the business side of things. These RSN's are getting really expensive, and it's getting to the point where it's better economically to stop covering all areas (and lose business in those areas) than to serve those areas and pay that much more for the channels.

I fear this is only going to get worse. The whole system may eventually collapse, the way things are going.

Actually the problem some months ago (which may or may not be the same problem mentioned in the OP) was that NHL Center Ice and the NHL Network use two different blackout maps...bizarre but true.

Here on the Jersey Shore we are not considered the Philly DMA for NHL Center Ice, so we receive all Philly telecasts on NHLCI. We are, however, within the blackout range when the Flyers are on NHL Network...which means we cannot see any Flyer games at all when they are on the NHL Network, because when they are on NHL Network, they are not on Center Ice.

Just a problem nobody at the NHL has bothered to address...

Sandra

#15 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

I am near Lancaster (part of why the Flyers consider their 'market') so the Rangers-Flyers game on NHL Network last night was blacked out here too. That game was not a NHL CI package game. Even though the Flyers call me area within their market, if Comcrap won't come to an agreement with D* for CSN Philly, D* customers in the Philly market should not be blacked out of Flyers game on NHL network, for example.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#16 OFFLINE   slt101

slt101

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Does anyone know if the Rangers,Islanders and Devils are available in the Rochester NY area this year on Direct TV as part of the local RSN's like in past years, or are they only available on the Center Ice package this year? I switched to Time Warner last summer and now Time Warner tells me that they are blacked out in my area even though last year they weren't blacked out here thru Time Warner. If Direct still has them on the local RSN's here in Rochester NY I am ready to switch back even though I have a great price thru TW for two years.

#17 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

Time Warner is regional and Directv is zip code specific. In Rochester, Directv is a godsend, because the blackout is not a blanket blackout. You would need to look up your zip code in Directv data base.

#18 OFFLINE   slt101

slt101

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

Time Warner is regional and Directv is zip code specific. In Rochester, Directv is a godsend, because the blackout is not a blanket blackout. You would need to look up your zip code in Directv data base.

I realize the difference between the two companies but what I am having a problem with is last year in my area (14617) Time Warner did show most of the Rangers,Islanders and Devils (depending on where Buffalo was playing) but this year they have blacked out all three teams completely. I have talked to Time Warner but depending on who you talk to you get different answers from yes you should be getting them to no they should be blacked out. I am just trying to find out what is different between this year and last.

#19 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

My WAG is they updated the database and a zip code within the franchise of Time Warner is in the blackout zone.

Your zip isn't, but one of them is. That would explain different answers.

Remember...WAG....

#20 OFFLINE   slt101

slt101

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

My WAG is they updated the database and a zip code within the franchise of Time Warner is in the blackout zone.

Your zip isn't, but one of them is. That would explain different answers.

Remember...WAG....

That would explain why those games are blacked out this year. I am supposed to be getting a call from a supervisor at Time Warner and hopefully he can confirm if that is the case. I guess I will be switching back to Direct TV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...