Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rangers-Flyers Blacked Out on Both MSG and NHLN

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mulliniks

mulliniks

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Actually the problem some months ago (which may or may not be the same problem mentioned in the OP) was that NHL Center Ice and the NHL Network use two different blackout maps...bizarre but true.

Here on the Jersey Shore we are not considered the Philly DMA for NHL Center Ice, so we receive all Philly telecasts on NHLCI. We are, however, within the blackout range when the Flyers are on NHL Network...which means we cannot see any Flyer games at all when they are on the NHL Network, because when they are on NHL Network, they are not on Center Ice.

Just a problem nobody at the NHL has bothered to address...

Sandra

This is what happens to me. The different blackout maps mean I can't watch a Rangers game if it's on NHLN, even though I pay for CI.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

This is what happens to me. The different blackout maps mean I can't watch a Rangers game if it's on NHLN, even though I pay for CI.

It's not the blackout maps for us in CT, its Directv saving a penny at our expense by not paying for certain zip codes in CT to be included in their contract with MSG.

So even tho we ARE in the extended MSG territory, Directv chose not to spend the extra money and pay to include our zip codes in the contract, thus we are blacked out on MSG no matter what, unless you get Center Ice AND the MSG feed is used as part of CI.

The problem arises when the NHL Network covers the Rangers games. These NHL Network games are NOT included in CI. So we get blacked out on the NHL network because we are in the MSG territory and are SUPPOSED to receive the game on MSG, but Directv chose to save a penny at our expense and not pay for the rights to show the game on MSG in our zip codes. So we get blacked out there too.

Because of this penny pinching by Directv, I decided to pinch a few pennies of my own and drop CI(and some other packages) through Directv and bought NHL GameCenter instead.

If Directv wants to save a buck at my expense, then I'll pay them less of "my" bucks.

Edited by Chuck W, 29 January 2013 - 05:41 PM.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#23 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

It's not the blackout maps for us in CT, its Directv saving a penny at our expense by not paying for certain zip codes in CT to be included in their contract with MSG.

So even tho we ARE in the extended MSG territory, Directv chose not to spend the extra money and pay to include our zip codes in the contract, thus we are blacked out on MSG no matter what, unless you get Center Ice AND the MSG feed is used as part of CI.

The problem arises when the NHL Network covers the Rangers games. These NHL Network games are NOT included in CI. So we get blacked out on the NHL network because we are in the MSG territory and are SUPPOSED to receive the game on MSG, but Directv chose to save a penny at our expense and not pay for the rights to show the game on MSG in our zip codes. So we get blacked out there too.

Because of this penny pinching by Directv, I decided to pinch a few pennies of my own and drop CI(and some other packages) through Directv and bought NHL GameCenter instead.

If Directv wants to save a buck at my expense, then I'll pay them less of "my" bucks.

You should blame the RSNs for charging more for outer ring viewers and still refusing anything but placement on one of the main tiers for those areas. Root does it right, here in NEPA we're in the outer ring for Pittsburgh and we can get their teams with Sports Pack.

Then of course you got the blackout rules that just exist to protect the RSN's local rights and prevent the cable and satellite providers from offering those games in that area via a professional sports package. If they could they would offer the games to you via the pro sports packages since the provider would make more money from you subscribing to that package than they would from paying the RSN for the local rights.

Edited by KyL416, 29 January 2013 - 05:53 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...