Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Should I mess with a good thing and go Genie?!!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dcarter4

dcarter4

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Hey All!
Hoping a few of you DTV pro’s will give me a few moments of your time?

I am an AV Pro (Crestron Automation, etc) and I’m thinking about upgrading my home system. I get tired up installing the latest and greatest in everyone else home…while my own system is rapidly aging.

I have an automated home, with distributed Audio and Video (Component Matrix). I also have a bullet-proof Network infrastructure and pro-grade WiFi.

I do not want to mess it up!!

But..I wouldn’t mind upgrading my receivers.

I have 3 receivers (HR21Pro, HR21 and a recently replaced HR23-700). After replacing a smoking HR23-700 with a referb HR23-700…I started looking into the whole Genie idea and the HR34. I like the idea of recording more shows, and I would like to hook a receiver directly to my upcoming Samsung UN65???? to get true 1080p (my current Crestron Video distribution on 1080i).

I have the older Slimline 5 (or 3) dish. Two of my receivers currently require the B-Band Converters, the HR23-700 does not.

I am considering getting a fourth receiver, the HR34.

Questions:

1) I assume I will need to have DTV switch me to a SWM?
2) My current receivers all have static IP addresses. With the addition of the HR34, will I be able to see all the show recorded on the other DVR’s….without using some DECCA system or screwing with my Network?
3) Are the IR codes for the HR34 “better” to work with, than the HR24 codes? I’m STILL having a hard time controlling some of the buttons on a client’s HR24??

I will be there with the installer…no offense to any DTV installers out there…but some of the guys I’ve worked with…are a little…well….lack knowledge of networking or AV routing.

I just want to know the scoop from people who have been there….

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Dwayne

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,174 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Yes, you will have to switch to SWM. As you will have 11 tuners you will get a SWM-16, this will jsut go in place of your current WB68. On a side note, the BBCs will go away.

Static IPs are no problem, all DECA is is a different way of hooking up the network.

I unfortunately have no idea on the IR codes
My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,174 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

BTW, a big advantage of DECA is that it keeps the shared video traffic off your regular network. Also it is the only supported way of hooking up whole home
My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,443 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

3) Are the IR codes for the HR34 “better” to work with, than the HR24 codes? I’m STILL having a hard time controlling some of the buttons on a client’s HR24??

What do you mean?

AFAIK, there's no difference in IR codes on any of the currently available D* receivers.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   dcarter4

dcarter4

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

Hey All,

Thanks for responding. I'm still unsure how the DECCA would work with my home Network?

Briefly, what is DECCA? Does it use the same Coax (all of mine are home run to the multiplex)?

On the IR front....We have a lot of issues with the HR24 "scrolling" when you press page up or down and stuff.....

Dwayne

#6 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,174 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

DECA is just DirecTV's implementation of the MoCA standard. Nothing more than a different way of distributing data, it will have no effect on your home network as to assigned IPs, etc. Once you connect a DECA module to your network it will act just like each device had an ethernet cable hooked up.
My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

yes the deca goes through the coax, what will happen is the older receivers you want to keep will have a receiver deca added on the swm input on the back of your receiver, from this it will connect to your coax cable, (the 34 has a built it deca so it wont need one) being you mentioned multiplex i take it you have all networking and coax ran to this area, so in my assuming were everything meets the installer will hook up the Broadband deca here which will also connect into your system through coax from the deca to the switches that will be placed there. ( hope you can make that out or atleast get a understanding of how the system will be, that is about as good as i can explain it with what i am gathering your system is laid out)

#8 OFFLINE   rsoares28

rsoares28

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

BTW, a big advantage of DECA is that it keeps the shared video traffic off your regular network. Also it is the only supported way of hooking up whole home

What do you mean by this? Will any VOD I download not effect my bandwidth allotment for the month from my cable co?

#9 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,634 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

What do you mean by this? Will any VOD I download not effect my bandwidth allotment for the month from my cable co?

DECA uses your modem to connect to the internet and VOD will count towards your bandwidth usage.

#10 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,174 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

machavez is correct, VOD will still download over your internet connection but the traffic between receivers when using whole home will be kept off your main network
My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...