Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sundance Channel HD! (Available)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Food Lion Man

Food Lion Man

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts
  • LocationOutside of Charlotte, NC

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Since Sundance Channel is part of the AMC Networks, I am really surprised it hasn't been added in HD. I contacted customer service at Dish and they said there's no plans to add this channel in high definition. I realize it should be very soon but still wonder what the delay is. Has anyone heard anything?:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Some people thought it might be about a month behind the others so hopefully another few weeks. You should also note that csr's are usually the last Dish personnel to get info about anything coming up. Asking them does not get much if any info on anything coming up.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

There was an HD feed uplinked at the same time as the others in the last month... but unlike the other feeds, Sundance HD has not gone live. It is not clear if they are testing, having trouble getting a feed, or what.

But basically, until the channel actually goes live... don't expect a CSR to actually know because corporate rarely gives future info like that to the front line.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

You can bet we will know before a CSR unless it's a CSR here.

#5 OFFLINE   BigDoritto

BigDoritto

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

I'm aware that the Sundance Channel has a still "Hidden" HD version of the channel that was uplinked in January of this year for "testing"...

Also, an "official" specific edit to the Sundance Wikipedia page added "HD" to the channel availability listing for Dish Network (United States) to read "Channel 358 (SD/HD)". [See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundance_Channel_(United_States)]

As of today it's been over a month since the uplink of all the AMC HD channels but, the Sundance HD channel is still is unavailable.

Does anyone have any update and/or intelligent speculation for when Dish will make the HD version of the channel available/live and/or why the delay?

Still Waiting--now impatiently... :(

#6 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

yea what is going on with The Sundance Channel in HD on Dish Network

Thanks

Bluegras

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,237 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

Testing since January 3rd ... perhaps some day it will be on. Perhaps it will disappear like the 2012 test of Smithsonian (on 2/8, off 7/11 and not made available).

#8 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

which one will be added next Sundance HD or Universal DeportesHD what do you think?

#9 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

I would imagine any channel would be welcomed by the subscriber in HD. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but why do some providers offer some stations in SD that others have in HD? Is it a expense issue? Is anything actually preferred by the consumer in SD?

Incidentally, Sundance started showing Breaking Bad from the beginning. Although the subject matter did not appeal to us, the ctritcal/audience response is so overwhelmingly positive we are going to try it. IMO it would be better in HD, although my husband insists that he does not notice the difference between SD, HD, Bu-rays and VHS, as he is just paying attention to the content of the program! :grin:
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#10 OFFLINE   John79605

John79605

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

I would imagine any channel would be welcomed by the subscriber in HD. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but why do some providers offer some stations in SD that others have in HD? Is it a expense issue? Is anything actually preferred by the consumer in SD?

Incidentally, Sundance started showing Breaking Bad from the beginning. Although the subject matter did not appeal to us, the ctritcal/audience response is so overwhelmingly positive we are going to try it. IMO it would be better in HD, although my husband insists that he does not notice the difference between SD, HD, Bu-rays and VHS, as he is just paying attention to the content of the program! :grin:

Your husband sounds like me. I notice the difference but it doesn't bother me to watch SD. I have 10 years of WMV captures that are 320x240 and I don't mind watching them. Funny thing is, most of what I've captured is available on Netflix so the saved programs aren't much use.

#11 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

I would imagine any channel would be welcomed by the subscriber in HD. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but why do some providers offer some stations in SD that others have in HD?

In the case of most providers, they probably don't have retransmission consent from the network as sd and HD contracts may be separate. This is part of the problem leading to the Disney/ESPN lawsuit.

#12 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

He sounds like me, I watch something for the content, Not HD vs SD.

I do notice the difference for a short while and then I do not even think about it.

For me Content is King.

Cheers
TB
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#13 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

For me Content is King.CheersTB

I agree with the one major exception for me. Sports are very difficult to watch in SD.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#14 OFFLINE   rebelman

rebelman

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

Sundance HD channel uplinked again today?? I thought it was uplinked back
in January. Never saw them take it down. What is going on? Are we ever
going to see this channel go live???

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,237 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:51 PM

Sundance HD channel uplinked again today?? I thought it was uplinked back
in January. Never saw them take it down. What is going on? Are we ever
going to see this channel go live???

It was still there from January. The uplinks Wedneday were additional copies of the channel.

I read that as a good thing. Perhaps they are closer to "available".

#16 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 663 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

Sundance is live in HD!!!

#17 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

Not listed yet on DishEverywhere site?

#18 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

You expect miracles?

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#19 OFFLINE   crabtrp

crabtrp

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

I think that is it, I have all the HD I want.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...