Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Canadian Hockey Feeds in NHLCI

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

D* is doing a great job with CBC coverage this season. I remember last year if the 7 pm game ended before 10 pm, even a few minutes before, they would throw up the D* slide until 10 pm for the second CBC game. Last night on the Pens-Jets game, they stayed with CBC for the entire post game. Feed wasn't turned off until 15 minutes into The National. Tonight on Sens-Leafs, they stayed with CBC even after they switched to Flyers-Habs that was showing on NHL Network.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

Isn't anyone wondering if the Canadian networks will be carrying Hockey Day in America today? And whether or not they will televise the full half hour of coverage and the games or just the games? ;)
HR34-700, HR22-100

#63 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

It's Hockey Weekend Across America. Don't be fooled by NBC's commercials referring to it as Hockey Day in America. Something they made up for their own convenience.

USA Hockey

#64 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,994 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

Isn't anyone wondering if the Canadian networks will be carrying Hockey Day in America today? And whether or not they will televise the full half hour of coverage and the games or just the games? ;)

Much of Canada gets NBC via satellite and cable, TSN2 is also simulcasting it.

#65 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

Much of Canada gets NBC via satellite and cable, TSN2 is also simulcasting it.

And I think most Canadiens would like to see less Hockey Day in America and more Hockey teams in Canada. HDIA is kind of a farce to some degree. The people in America who love hockey will continue to do so while the people who think the game is a farce of a sport will continue to think that as well. It really has no cultural identity here outside of the Buffalo and Philadelphia(etc.) regions of the nation.. HDIC is about the weight of the sports cultural meaning more then anything else.

Edited by fireponcoal, 17 February 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#66 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

Love the CBC HD coverage.

#67 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

And I think most Canadiens would like to see less Hockey Day in America and more Hockey teams in Canada. HDIA is kind of a farce to some degree. The people in America who love hockey will continue to do so while the people who think the game is a farce of a sport will continue to think that as well. It really has no cultural identity here outside of the Buffalo and Philadelphia(etc.) regions of the nation.. HDIC is about the weight of the sports cultural meaning more then anything else.

Its too bad that Canada doesn't seem to have enough cities that can support an NHL team. Although, they do have plenty of hockey at other levels.

As we all know, the NHL in Canada is like the NFL in the US. The most popular sport in the respective countries, that a large percentage of the population can't live without. Although there are plenty of people in the US that don't watch NFL games and probably the same can be said of hockey in Canada. I've worked with some Canadians that could care less about hockey, which initially surprised me.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#68 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

I hear you and agree but it sure doesn't stop people in that region from wanting an NHL franchise in every small town.

#69 OFFLINE   Jables

Jables

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

It's too bad that Canada doesn't seem to have enough cities that can support an NHL team. Although, they do have plenty of hockey at other levels.

They have plenty of additional cities that could support an NHL team. The NHL simply isn't interested in granting them franchises because they have chosen to plow ahead with their expansion into American markets instead.

The NHL is a gate-revenue driven league, but the league insists on a strategy that pretends they are a TV-revenue driven league.
Slimline-5 | Zinwell 6x8 | 2 x HR20-700 | HR23-700

#70 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

So are you saying that Buffalo and Philadelphia are the only 2 us cities that care about hockey?

Today in the Chicago area, there are FIVE hockey games

Hawks vs kings
Outdoor at Solider Field (Home of Bears)
Miami/Notre Dame
Wisconsin/Minnesota

AHL
Both the Chicago Wolves and Rockford Icehogs have home games.

Not bad for a us city that doesnt care :)

#71 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

That is why I wrote etc. how dare I leave out the mighty Chicago..

PA is a much better Hockey state then Illinois overall if you want to get technical about it. 2 NHL franchises, 2 AHL franchise(soon 3), one OHL franchise and a BigTen College trump your state. Whatever though. When you going to tell me about your Canadian dish? I love those stories.

Edited by fireponcoal, 17 February 2013 - 11:36 PM.

#72 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

That is why I wrote etc. how dare I leave out the mighty Chicago..

PA is a much better Hockey state then Illinois overall if you want to get technical about it. 2 NHL franchises, 2 AHL franchise(soon 3), one OHL franchise and a BigTen College trump your state. Whatever though. When you going to tell me about your Canadian dish? I love those stories.

Penn state is a hockey power. no doubt about it.

Although Illinois currently has 3 ahl teams

I don't have the canadian dish anymore. Since 95 percent of the games on Directtv are in HD, I don't have a need to pay for a 2nd centre ice subscription for the other 5.

Joined a Sports Torrent site a few years ago. Anything I need from Canada, or CSN phily feeds are on there and they can be downloaded for free.

Google is your friend since I am sure somebody will say it is wrong and that Directv should carry every feed of every game in HD, even though they have shown that they have zero interest in doing so or it would have happened already

#73 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 727 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

Unless SatelliteRacer or someone with inside CI knowledge has some insight, I guess we'll never understand the logic / illogic when it comes to HD for Canadian feeds.

Saturday: TSN HD feed for Jets - Flyers? Yes.

Tonight: TSN HD feed for Leafs - Flyers? No.

And as a total aside, I was in Montreal over the weekend for the Islanders game Thursday and the Rangers game Saturday.

What a great building to watch hockey and what a great city to eat, drink, and make new friends!

#74 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

Hockey barely beats out NASCAR hot pass in the eyes of Directv.

#75 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 418 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

So are you saying that Buffalo and Philadelphia are the only 2 us cities that care about hockey?

Today in the Chicago area, there are FIVE hockey games

Hawks vs kings
Outdoor at Solider Field (Home of Bears)
Miami/Notre Dame
Wisconsin/Minnesota

AHL
Both the Chicago Wolves and Rockford Icehogs have home games.

Not bad for a us city that doesnt care :)

Chicago is a great hockey market once again. Let's not forget Michigan. Great college hockey, the Wings, high school hockey...

#76 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

Penn state is a hockey power. no doubt about it.

Although Illinois currently has 3 ahl teams

I don't have the canadian dish anymore. Since 95 percent of the games on Directtv are in HD, I don't have a need to pay for a 2nd centre ice subscription for the other 5.

Joined a Sports Torrent site a few years ago. Anything I need from Canada, or CSN phily feeds are on there and they can be downloaded for free.

Google is your friend since I am sure somebody will say it is wrong and that Directv should carry every feed of every game in HD, even though they have shown that they have zero interest in doing so or it would have happened already

Part of the same Torrent community good buddy. Penn State will one day put the Fighting Sioux to shame(yeah right).

#77 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

Canadian feeds are difficult to explain. DIRECTV doesn't broadcast into Canada so we don't pick up Canadian feeds as a norm. We can get them as "wild" feeds, but they're not here 24/7. For some games, only the SD feeds are provided to us. Sometimes HD feeds are provided as well, but if the capacity isn't there (remember, this is an incremental wild feed, not one that we have already baked in) then it won't be put up. That's my limited, working knowledge of it. I'm sure it will lead to more questions, not sure if I have the answers, but that is my understanding.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#78 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

Canadian feeds are difficult to explain. DIRECTV doesn't broadcast into Canada so we don't pick up Canadian feeds as a norm. We can get them as "wild" feeds, but they're not here 24/7. For some games, only the SD feeds are provided to us. Sometimes HD feeds are provided as well, but if the capacity isn't there (remember, this is an incremental wild feed, not one that we have already baked in) then it won't be put up. That's my limited, working knowledge of it. I'm sure it will lead to more questions, not sure if I have the answers, but that is my understanding.

What about OTA feeds?

What about WGN Why no WGN A HD remap for MLB EI?

For the NHL iN DEMAND payed the bit fees to get all the rogers HD feeds So D* can do the same thing if they where to pay for it? are the Wild feeds free?

Why can't CBC be a local channel in border areas? it is on cable systems in the same areas.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#79 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

Is this because the NHL doesn't require HD feeds for NHLCI?

D* can get the SportsNet Ontario feed for MLBEI for the Toronto Blue Jays. How are you guys able to get that feed but not the other Canadian feeds? Or is that feed provided by MLB? If you wanted to get HD feeds for the NHL would it cost extra?

#80 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

Satracer, I have two questions:

1. Last year CBC HD finally became the norm in NHL CI. So what is the difference between that and Rogers Sportsnet from the D* perspective? I get they probably use different receivers but is it just a matter of D* finally paying for a CBC one because that's what most people complain about?

2. Not Canadian, but why are Comcast Philadelphia HD feeds so hit and miss? We had one a couple of weeks ago but on several occasions since where it would have been the only HD feed of a game, we didn't get it. I don't get MLB EI, but I gather Comcast Philly feeds are seen a lot more on it.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...