Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Canadian Hockey Feeds in NHLCI

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   steve_launch

steve_launch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

Satracer: Aside from understanding more from a technical perspective (which I am also very interested in!) - do you have any recommendation on who/which department I could contact to share my feedback and pass along my comments on what I would like to see more of? I've tried sending throught the web feedback tool and all I ever get is a canned response about DirecTV being the leader in sports.

I would love to send my feedback directly to someone who was in charge of NHL or general sports programming that was actually in charge of these kinds of decisions.

Thanks,
-Steve

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#82 OFFLINE   steve_launch

steve_launch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

Interesting data point - the web app shows the Toronto/Winnipeg game on Tuesday night scheduled on an HD channel. That means the HD feed would be either coming from LeafsTV or TSN-JETS . I wonder if it actually will be available in HD when game time rolls around.

#83 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,030 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

Interesting data point - the web app shows the Toronto/Winnipeg game on Tuesday night scheduled on an HD channel. That means the HD feed would be either coming from LeafsTV or TSN-JETS . I wonder if it actually will be available in HD when game time rolls around.

DirecTV has used regional TSN feeds in HD on a few occasions in the past, so were I to make a guess, it would be TSN-JETS.

I've noticed that, at least as of now, the game is listed ONLY in HD in the on-screen guide. Probably just a gap that needs to be filled (there are enough of them in the CI listings).

#84 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

The only thing worse than not getting all the Canadian feeds in HD is seeing an HD feed in the Guide and not getting it!

Leafs v Jets shows in the Guide on 776-1, but we only have the great D* slate to enjoy...

#85 OFFLINE   steve_launch

steve_launch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

The only thing worse than not getting all the Canadian feeds in HD is seeing an HD feed in the Guide and not getting it!

Leafs v Jets shows in the Guide on 776-1, but we only have the great D* slate to enjoy...

Yeah no kidding, that was a nice surprise to come home to after I (thought) I had recorded the game. Nope, instead I had recorded hours of the DirecTV logo :mad:

#86 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

In this day in age, I can't believe that we can't get HD feeds for all major sporting events (NHL, MLB, NFL, etc.). If the NHL licenses the telecasts of NHL games to the various RSNs for inclusion in NHL CI, why can't it also require that the feeds the NHL obtains from the various RSNs are HD? I think that every RSN (US and Canadian) and most CBC games are in HD (in the past some concurrent CBC NHIC games were only in SD, but that has probably changed by 2013).

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#87 OFFLINE   Neely8

Neely8

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

In this day in age, I can't believe that we can't get HD feeds for all major sporting events (NHL, MLB, NFL, etc.). If the NHL licenses the telecasts of NHL games to the various RSNs for inclusion in NHL CI, why can't it also require that the feeds the NHL obtains from the various RSNs are HD? I think that every RSN (US and Canadian) and most CBC games are in HD (in the past some concurrent CBC NHIC games were only in SD, but that has probably changed by 2013).

Yeah no kidding, that was a nice surprise to come home to after I (thought) I had recorded the game. Nope, instead I had recorded hours of the DirecTV logo :mad:

I called DirecTV customer service and was totally unimpressed with their lack of concern. I'm beginning to long for FIOS in my neighborhood.

#88 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

I called DirecTV customer service and was totally unimpressed with their lack of concern. I'm beginning to long for FIOS in my neighborhood.

Lol, you think you're going to get more HD coverage than DirecTV?

#89 OFFLINE   Neely8

Neely8

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

Lol, you think you're going to get more HD coverage than DirecTV?

No, but I'm getting too old to climb up and clean the snow off my dish.

#90 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

No, but I'm getting too old to climb up and clean the snow off my dish.

if you have neighbors with kids hire a kid
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#91 OFFLINE   sfenton

sfenton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

They are not doing so well tonight. The 769 feed should have been the HNIC feed of Montreal-Buffalo. Instead it started as Toronto-Boston. I watched the Buffalo feed on 774. Some time in the first period, they switched 769 to the right game but the wrong feed. Both 769 and 774 are the Buffalo MSG feed.

#92 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

They are not doing so well tonight.

What's odd is 769-1 popped up early tonight ( before 7:00 ) and the pre-game show commercials were Quebec based, which is the only province CBC is feeding the Habs game to.

Here's hoping it gets sorted for the late game...

Edit: By the way, if you missed Coach's Corner tonight, be sure to find it when they add it to the CBC HNIC website. If the last 2 minutes don't bring tears to your eyes, you're not human.

Edited by cmasia, 23 March 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#93 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,819 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

I noticed with baseball season starting we're not getting Canadian feeds anymore, not that I watch SD feeds. ;)

#94 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

I noticed with baseball season starting we're not getting Canadian feeds anymore, not that I watch SD feeds. ;)

Directv does not have that much SD room right now.

also NO WGN in MLB EI?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#95 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

Thursday nights Jets/Habs game is showing in the guide on 774 and 774-1. Usually all Canadian only games have only been shown in sd, so I wonder what we will get. The center ice schedule on directv.com doesn't even have this game listed.

#96 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,819 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

Thursday nights Jets/Habs game is showing in the guide on 774 and 774-1. Usually all Canadian only games have only been shown in sd, so I wonder what we will get. The center ice schedule on directv.com doesn't even have this game listed.

Probably a backhaul HD feed.

#97 OFFLINE   Microphone

Microphone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

I know exactly what Sat Race is talking about with feeds available on the "wild feed" to Diretcv, but it's frustrating to see a game in SD only on say, 769, only to see the highlights in HD on NHL Network a few hours later. I know they're (NHLN) Canadian based, but I would think what they get, we should be able to get. Toronto is not too far as the crow flies to the U.S. last I checked.

Frankly, I think Directv is just lazy at times. Yeah there's a bandwidth problem, but when the Jets and the Panthers are playing, that game is low priority to them to put the Jets in HD. Now if it's Maple Leafs and the Rangers, that may be different. I think Directv programmers get seduced by big name cities.

#98 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

Directv does not have that much SD room right now.

also NO WGN in MLB EI?

in demand is useing wgn america HD now but why is Directv NOT remaping it in HD to MLB EI?

#99 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

in demand is useing wgn america HD now but why is Directv NOT remaping it in HD to MLB EI?

Is it that difficult to tune to WGN?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#100 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

Is it that difficult to tune to WGN?

It's just odd to be missing like that? even more as they USE WGN SD in MLB EI.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...