Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Questions about New Setup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pjb3589

pjb3589

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

I used to be a DirecTV subscriber, but not for 4 or 5 years so it seems like a lot has changed. I decided to come back after I got tired of dealing with TWC. Just wanted to clarify a few things before the installer shows up tomorrow. I'm getting the HR34 with two C31 recievers.

1) The builder ran two coax cables outside from our wiring panel. One is being used still by TWC for Internet but the other is available. I know in the past you typically had several coax runs coming off the dish because SWM was in its infancy. Do all of the new dishes have the SWM LNBs now? I called DirecTV and asked, but the CSR had no idea.

2) How do the C31 receivers connect back to the HR34? I was looking at the specs online, but I don't see any wireless or Ethernet capability.

3) What "extra" (i.e. non-receiver) equipment needs to be installed? The reason I ask is that the panel where all of my coax terminates is already pretty cramped.

4) What is this Cinema Connection Kit that's on my order? From a few searches, it seems to be unneeded when you have the HR34.

5) Any thing to watch out for when the installer shows up tomorrow, i.e. common problems?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

1. With just the HR34 and two clients the installer can use the SWM Slimline dish that only needs one coax cable from the dish to the house.

2. The C31 Clients connect to the same satellite coax cables as the HR34. The installer will provide the appropriate SWM Splitter to connect your HR34, C31 clients, Power Inserter, and Cinema Connection Kit (for internet access).

3. Nothing "extra" should be needed in your wiring closet. The SWM Power Inserter can be installed at any DVR/Receiver location. And ideally the Cinema Connection Kit should be installed near your home network gateway/router.

4. True, technically the HR34 can use its own ethernet port for internet connectivity. But that's not the supported configuration. The installer should provide a stand alone CCK installed with an ethernet cable to your home network gateway/router. Don't rely on the wireless CCK if you can avoid it.

5. Just check that everything is working before you sign off on the installation. Check the signal readings (majority of transponders should be up in high 80-90s). Verify that the Clients properly "see" the HR34 and that you can play back recordings from the HR34 without any "glitches". Verify that your HR34 sees the internet connection.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

1. SWN LNB one line from dist to meterbase, one line to structured wiring panel. Splitter inside panel

2. Coax to splitter inside structured wiring panel.

3. Power supply for SWM LNB. Inside structured wiring panel or at any receiver location. Cinema Connection Kit co-located with router. The tech might consider wireless.

4. Extremley important device, make sure it gets connected.

5. Walk through the whole install with the tech. It's your house, don't come back here and say he screwed it up.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#4 OFFLINE   pjb3589

pjb3589

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. Installer came out today (original date was rescheduled due to ice on the roof) and everything went well. He put my power inserter at the same location as my HR34 because, according to him, it has to be with the receiver.

Any truth to this or can I move it to my panel? I would connect it so that its splitter > power inserter > receiver (basically just move it to the opposite end of the coax run to my receiver).

#5 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Good to hear! You can install the SWM Power Inserter anywhere on the SWM coax cable. Just be sure to properly connect to a "power passing" port on the SWM splitter. But if it's working now, just leave it where it is.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...