Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My DECA is screaming

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

The power inserter/DECA unit on my HR34 started shrieking tonight. No idea about the cause. It was a moderately loud, continuous whistle.

It finally went away after I unplugged it from the power source. After I plugged it back in, the shrieking went away and everything works fine, as far as I can tell.

I'm wondering if it was a leaking capacitor. Will D* replace this unit at no charge, or should I just buy a replacement on ebay or something?
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom
Whole Home DVR enabled :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,991 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:08 AM

The power inserter/DECA unit on my HR34 started shrieking tonight. No idea about the cause. It was a moderately loud, continuous whistle.

It finally went away after I unplugged it from the power source. After I plugged it back in, the shrieking went away and everything works fine, as far as I can tell.

I'm wondering if it was a leaking capacitor. Will D* replace this unit at no charge, or should I just buy a replacement on ebay or something?

Need more clarification....

DECA is an internal component within the HR34.

So is the HR34 making the sound, the power supply, external CCK unit, or something else?
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,380 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Sounds like a power supply going bad. I had a power brick sound like that once before it died.

I wonder if this is a SWiM power inserter you're trying to describe.

Edited by Go Beavs, 26 January 2013 - 05:12 PM.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#4 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,991 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Sounds like a power supply going bad. I had a power brick sound like that once before it died.

I wonder if this is a SWiM power inserter your trying to describe.

Yeah...I was thinking that too...and trying to narrow things down to just what was being described.

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,102 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

Well there was a DECA reported in this forum that went on fire.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,991 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

Well there was a DECA reported in this forum that went on fire.

We don't know if it's even the DECA itself at this point...the OP hasn't added the necessary information to diagnose.

#7 OFFLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

OP here.

It was definitely the DECA. I believe it is used specifically to bridge my wired ethernet to the DECA cloud. I understand that the HR34 does not have a need for a DECA under normal circumstances. There is a power adapter hooked up to it, but I don't recall if it was the SWiM Power Inserter or not.

Anyway, everything is working fine now. I wonder if I should just go ahead and replace it just in case.
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

OP here.

It was definitely the DECA. I believe it is used specifically to bridge my wired ethernet to the DECA cloud. I understand that the HR34 does not have a need for a DECA under normal circumstances. There is a power adapter hooked up to it, but I don't recall if it was the SWiM Power Inserter or not.

Anyway, everything is working fine now. I wonder if I should just go ahead and replace it just in case.

So it was the device that has the Ethernet cable from your router that was making the noise? That would be the Cinema Connection Kit. It would have needed a PI (power adapter). If you do have a HR34 and it is near where the CCK is located, just completely disconnect it and plug the Ethernet cable into the HR34.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#9 OFFLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

So it was the device that has the Ethernet cable from your router that was making the noise? That would be the Cinema Connection Kit. It would have needed a PI (power adapter). If you do have a HR34 and it is near where the CCK is located, just completely disconnect it and plug the Ethernet cable into the HR34.

- Merg

I'll give this a try. I seem to recall that plugging the ethernet cable directly into the box would disable the internal DECA. Perhaps that was the case with the HR24. I just got the HR34 about 2-3 months ago.

BTW, I do not have a CCK, which if I recall is basically a wireless ethernet adapter. I have a CAT6 cable that I ran from my home router to the TV location. The box in question was definitely a DECA which may have been used as a CCK.

I'll have to look up some of the wiring/topology diagrams from a couple years ago to remember exactly what it was called.
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom

#10 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 489 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

I had that DECA set up for the internet connection. It was left over from a previous dvr, just get rid of it if the 34 is close enough to your router or can be connected to it by an ethernet cable. Everything works just fine without that set up.

#11 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

being this is the location of the previous hddvr as stated, it is true that with previous model of receivers (the hr24 for example ) having the ethernet plugged directly into the receiver it would disable whole home. Now being you have the hr34 in the place were the older one was you can remove the deca and plug it directly into the receiver as it has a built in cck and it will not interfere with whole home as previous one did.

Now saying that you can also probably clean up your wires a little, Not knowing how everything is set up and what you have I am going to be doing some guessing here. I am going to assume this is were your power inserter is also so you probably have the cable coming in and going to your power inserter going to power to swm port, on the power inserter "to receiver" i is probably going to a 2 way splitter, from the 2 way splitter to the receiver and the other to the deca ( cck ). If you do away with the cck you can also do away with the 2way splitter. so now you can just have the cable going into the power inserter from outside and one cable from the power inserter to receiver.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...