Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bug Report: System Crash

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hollmrl

hollmrl

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 12:05 AM

Boot version 120B
Flash version F051
SW version L145HECD-N

System becomes unstable and crashes in 2 situations:

1) if a OTA digital program is recording from the background timer and you try to go to one of the OTA digital channels to view by direct channel entry (even the one that is recording). I get a blank black screen or grey screen. The system seems to become unstable after that point and within 5-20 minutes crashes. If this is a system limitation them I would think the conflict screen would come directing you the the station being recorded or stopping the recording.

2) If 2 Satellite channels are being recorded and you try to goto to one of the digiatl OTA channels to view a live program you get the same thing as stated in #1 above.

I do not have any analog channels loaded in on OTA so I do not know if the same thing will happen with analog channels.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 12:04 PM

Confirmed in both cases. I caught both of those cases last week with my 921. No workaround is available that I'm aware of, but the bugs have been reported.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 07:09 PM

#2 sounds like you'd be trying to access 3 tuners at once if I understood your wording. While the 921 has 3 tuners and it may seem like you are OK, as I understand from the Eldon engineer, the chip set only permits accessing 2 tuners at any one time. BTW- The TIVO guy at DirecTV confirmed that is the way the HD TIVO works as well. HDTIVO has 4 tuners but you can only access 2 at a time. The HDTIVO would permit recording one OTA while watching another OTA channel.

I think #1 may be a real reported bug as Mark describbed. Trying to view a second channel while the only tuner is tuned to the recording channel would exceed the tuner compliment of one tuner for OTA. Tuning to watch the channel live while background recording, I think should be OK but it doesn't work as it reboots my 921 as well.

#4 OFFLINE   hollmrl

hollmrl

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:11 PM

I understand and agree that there may be a hard limitation on using three tuners at once. I feel there is a bug in the sense that the system allows you to exceed its capacity and crash. There should be a software limit that prevents you from crashing the system by providing a warning/error message and aborting the request.

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 03:02 AM

I agree - there definitely should be a warning.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

Protected By... spam firewall...And...