Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cable drop, box to apt unit, who has the right to use it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   productofusa

productofusa

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Current Dish subscriber, I decided to upgrade my internet to Comcast. To make a long story short the Comcast installer showed up to do the install and had a fit because the Dish installer had used the cable from an exterior box that feeds the apt I live in. His claim is that the original cable install (not sure how long its been there, but certainly from the early days of cable) was there for Comcast use only as it had been inherited by them from the previous cable service in the area. There's nothing in the outside box that indicates its use is reserved for anyone.

So I phone up Dish and ask if this is true and explain that the Comcast guy is going to dyke off (cut in the box) the Dish feed when he comes back. The Dish rep tells me they'll gladly reimburse me for the time i'm down and repair the install, while I patiently explain that no, I would like to not lose service in the first place. this goes around in circles for awhile and finally the Dish rep says the FCC specifically says anyone can use the cable drop, first come first serve, but can't give me a link to this info.

This is frustrating to say the least, and no one on either side, Comcast or Dish has any concrete info. Can anyone shed any light on my dilemma? I realize losing TV for a couple days isn't the end of the world but i'd like to know who's in the right here

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

It depends on state law and contract with the apartment complex. Usually the complex at time of construction grants exclusive use to the cable company if the cable company did the prewiring.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

It sounds like the cable belongs to the people who own the apartment complex. You would need to check with the apartment management to see if it could be used by any provider or was reserved for the local cable provider.

The "dyke off the satellite feed" attitude is lousy. Disconnecting the cable is enough but that Comcast installer wants to tamper with cabling that is absolutely not his. It is vandalism. When someone suggests that they will do something wrong it makes one suspect the rest of what they are saying as being accurate.

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

'Input, need input' -Johnny Five

Where is the Dish dish? Where is the apartment? Why isn't the Dish dish mounted on the balcony/patio/etc?

If the cable was put in with the building as a prewire, it probably 'belongs' to the building but was intended for the cable company. Does it go to a central location with cables from the other apartments?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#5 OFFLINE   productofusa

productofusa

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

It depends on state law and contract with the apartment complex. Usually the complex at time of construction grants exclusive use to the cable company if the cable company did the prewiring.

Waiting for callback from the manager, not really sure about this.

It sounds like the cable belongs to the people who own the apartment complex. You would need to check with the apartment management to see if it could be used by any provider or was reserved for the local cable provider.

The "dyke off the satellite feed" attitude is lousy. Disconnecting the cable is enough but that Comcast installer wants to tamper with cabling that is absolutely not his. It is vandalism. When someone suggests that they will do something wrong it makes one suspect the rest of what they are saying as being accurate.

Agreed, the Comcast guy was hoping for a quick easy install and kept bitching about how Dish is stealing money from us (Comcast) , consequently his "dyke it off" comment.

'Input, need input' -Johnny Five

Where is the Dish dish? Where is the apartment? Why isn't the Dish dish mounted on the balcony/patio/etc?

If the cable was put in with the building as a prewire, it probably 'belongs' to the building but was intended for the cable company. Does it go to a central location with cables from the other apartments?

The unit is in the Seattle area, a townhouse config, the dish is in the back facing south on the dining rm wall.

This complex is pretty old and i'd bet it predates cable era as most all the runs in the complex are outside surface mount, and yes, the apt unit feeds all come from a box on the back of the building.

Did I miss anything?

spam firewall