Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Stan Musial Funeral Service Blacked Out

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Another example of the ridiculous blackouts of baseball content on the Sports Pack. We've all heard about the blackouts of shows like Tigers Weekly on Fox Sports Detroit for those outside of Detroit because supposedly it has enough MLB content that they don't have the rights to broadcast it out of market.

Well today it reached another low. Fox Sports Midwest's coverage of the Stan Musial funeral service is blacked out for those outside the FSM region.

Is there any way that we can put an end to this ridiculousness?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   skizer

skizer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

Was just coming to post this....totally stupid (although for the record, I heard it was blacked out on Dish as well).

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Is the coverage available on MLB Network?

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Is the coverage available on MLB Network?

The Menu Guide is showing MLBN Remembers Stan Musial at 1pm today.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Another example of the ridiculous blackouts of baseball content on the Sports Pack. We've all heard about the blackouts of shows like Tigers Weekly on Fox Sports Detroit for those outside of Detroit because supposedly it has enough MLB content that they don't have the rights to broadcast it out of market.

Well today it reached another low. Fox Sports Midwest's coverage of the Stan Musial funeral service is blacked out for those outside the FSM region.

If they are using old clips from Stan Musial's career, then it's MLB's fault for wanting to charge FS Detroit the extra fees for broadcasting the MLB copyrighted material to the entire nation. IOW, it's all copyright issues and MLB holds the copyright.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#6 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

It is being repeated Sunday at 10:30pm and Tuesday at 10:00pm on channel 671.

#7 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 535 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

It is being repeated Sunday at 10:30pm and Tuesday at 10:00pm on channel 671.

most likely that will be blackout also, just guessing

#8 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

That would suck.

#9 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,362 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

mlb.tv sucks big time. I subbed last season ($129.95) just to watch the Braves. All season, I got to watch exactly ZERO, ZIP, NADA Braves games on mlb. What a ripoff! Bait and switch if I ever saw one. That terribly negative experience just about killed my interest for the game I used to love. :(

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#10 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

mlb.tv sucks big time. I subbed last season ($129.95) just to watch the Braves. All season, I got to watch exactly ZERO, ZIP, NADA Braves games on mlb. What a ripoff! Bait and switch if I ever saw one. That terribly negative experience just about killed my interest for the game I used to love. :(

MLB.tv is out of market only for live. Archive games are available for all teams.

It is annoying, though, that you listen or watch your local team an they tout MLB.tv as a way to see every game your hometown team plays.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#11 ONLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

When did Stan Musial die?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

When did Stan Musial die?

January 19, 2013
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

MLB.tv is out of market only for live. Archive games are available for all teams.

It is annoying, though, that you listen or watch your local team an they tout MLB.tv as a way to see every game your hometown team plays.

I don't think they tout it that way at all, there are enough warnings on the website about how you can watch out of market teams only.

#14 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

You live in Georgia, right? Can you just watch the Braves locally on TV?

It's not designed for people to be able to watch their home team.

#15 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

I don't think they tout it that way at all, there are enough warnings on the website about how you can watch out of market teams only.

I'm talking about game announcers. They never do the disclaimers.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#16 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Oh yeah, true, I've noticed that as well. I cringe every time I hear it.

#17 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Did for me too. The NEAREST stadium is 300+ miles from me, however, they black out not only that team, but 3 others that "claim" we are in their home territory. I got fed up and quit subscribing over 4 years ago. Now I just watch college games on a C/KU band system when available.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#18 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

The Rays announcers definitely don't mention it as a way to see the Rays, only as a way to see "out-of-market games." I assume all the local announcers are using the same MLB-approved script for the actual plug -- although maybe some lead into it in a way that suggests it's a way to see the local team? (Or maybe people don't realize "out-of-market games" is not the same thing as "away games"?)
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#19 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

The Rays announcers definitely don't mention it as a way to see the Rays, only as a way to see "out-of-market games." I assume all the local announcers are using the same MLB-approved script for the actual plug -- although maybe some lead into it in a way that suggests it's a way to see the local team? (Or maybe people don't realize "out-of-market games" is not the same thing as "away games"?)

Nope. I don't listen to/watch the Rays, so I can't say what they say but I have only once or twice heard an announcer mention that local games are blacked out. They will say something more like "see all your Cardinal games on MLB.tv" or something like that. Not a formal announcement, just a quick note during a game. Have heard the same on radio broadcasts all over the country via XM.

#20 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

I've also heard it advertised quite frequently as a way to watch the team you are currently watching. The most annoying ad I remember last year was during a Fox Saturday Baseball game the script advertised Extra Innings on DIRECTV as a way to see EVERY game. Sorry MLB, it doesn't matter where you live in the US, Extra Innings or not there is no way to see every game without violating your user agreements.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...