Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Stan Musial Funeral Service Blacked Out

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jazzyd971fm

jazzyd971fm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

For those who missed it, video highlights are on mlb.com & cardinals.com . Foxsports Midwest has their full broadcast online at foxsportsmidwest.com .

5 LNB Slimline>HR24-500>Sony KDS 50 A 2020>HDMI
Sony DAV-DX255 Component
Samsung DVD/VCR-VR320

PS4>HDMI
PS3>Component
Xbox 360>Component
Total Choice Plus/HD Access/NFL ST Max
HBO/Showtime/Starz/Sports Pack
DBSTalk App Thru Samsung Galaxy S 4

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

How difficult would it be for MLB/Directv to open up all MLB programming (except certain live games) to those Sports Pack subscribers who also subscribe to MLB EI?

MLB would just not charge those RSNs the copyrights fees for national audience, but would allow those who pay for EI on top of Sports Pack to see it.

#23 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

How difficult would it be for MLB/Directv to open up all MLB programming (except certain live games) to those Sports Pack subscribers who also subscribe to MLB EI?

MLB would just not charge those RSNs the copyrights fees for national audience, but would allow those who pay for EI on top of Sports Pack to see it.

It would make perfect sense for MLB if they were so determined to protect that revenue. Instead they'd rather just piss off the fans who give them the most money because they know you will still purchase EI regardless.

#24 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,435 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

It would make perfect sense for MLB if they were so determined to protect that revenue. Instead they'd rather just piss off the fans who give them the most money because they know you will still purchase EI regardless.

It is actually small potatoes to them. Only directv customers have EI and out of market RSNs available to them and few have both. It means little financially either way.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#25 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

It's such small potatoes it's annoying they bother blacking it out. Were there really people who subscribed to "Sports Pack" in the past that saw enough coverage of their team in the weekly highlight shows it was the deciding factor in them not purchasing Extra Innings? At most this was 7 total subscribers.

#26 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Is there any way that we can put an end to this ridiculousness?

Until the MLB changes its rules.... no. Right now, ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING that has SOME MLB footage in it....will be blocked. Even a funeral that will without a doubt have some game-calling moments in it.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#27 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

Recorded about 10 minutes than deleted.:mad:

#28 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Were there really people who subscribed to "Sports Pack" in the past that saw enough coverage of their team in the weekly highlight shows it was the deciding factor in them not purchasing Extra Innings? At most this was 7 total subscribers.

I only got SportPack so I could watch Dan Patrick on 30 channels at the same time! What value!

#29 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,435 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

It's such small potatoes it's annoying they bother blacking it out. Were there really people who subscribed to "Sports Pack" in the past that saw enough coverage of their team in the weekly highlight shows it was the deciding factor in them not purchasing Extra Innings? At most this was 7 total subscribers.

By small potatoes, I mean an issue they don't care about. They set up a rule that sounded good on paper without caring about the consequences, which only matter to them if it is a big issue. It is not...for them.

This is another case of folks not understanding how some things work (much like the PAC 12 guys not understanding the satellite model initially..that cost them). But now add on that it affects so few customers that it really matters little to MLB.

But then again, you are asking MLB to use logic. Remember, these are guys who black out local broadcasts from their own viewing package.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#30 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

You are right.

I know it's a small probability that they would care about this enough to change it, but if there is one example that could possibly change it, it would be this -- blacking out the funeral of Stan Musial.

It's so egregious -- egregious enough that maybe some baseball columnist would write about on a slow day.

#31 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,435 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

You are right.

I know it's a small probability that they would care about this enough to change it, but if there is one example that could possibly change it, it would be this -- blacking out the funeral of Stan Musial.

It's so egregious -- egregious enough that maybe some baseball columnist would write about on a slow day.

First he has to know about it.

#32 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

There was quite a bit on Twitter about it. MLB did change the Fox Saturday Baseball thing, so who knows. Maybe by 2020 they won't "protect" their regional properties by blacking them out to their paying customers.

#33 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,435 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

There was quite a bit on Twitter about it. MLB did change the Fox Saturday Baseball thing, so who knows. Maybe by 2020 they won't "protect" their regional properties by blacking them out to their paying customers.

I wouldn't have known if it was on or not except for this forum. Not enough buzz to overflow into mainstream twitter verse.

#34 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Another one of these egregious blackouts took place on Monday evening.

SNY program Reflections on 9/11: The NY Mets Remember was blacked out.

#35 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

Many years ago had a TV client of mine unhappy with blackout restrictions and for some reason he took it out on me.

Ever since, anyone who asks about game packages prior to subscribing I just tell them if blackouts are a deal breaker, the it's a deal breaker. I don't have time to watch much sports and so it matters little to me, and if blackout problems give me a headache in doing my job I will therefore just move away from having the problem in the first place. I am plenty busy as it is, I can be a little choosy.

Guess that's not the right answer for our industry, but I'm 55 and really like doing this, situations become a problem, I will gravitate away from it. That's why I don't put up flagpoles anymore. Or cement driveways. Or drywall. :eek2:

spam firewall