Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Help: internet disconnects when using VOD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HotSax

HotSax

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Can anyone help me out here?

Okay, here is my issue. Every time I try to download a VOD program my DVR gets part of the way though and then disconnects from the internet, the download stops, my ipad app can no longer find any of the DVRs and only a total reset of the DVR will get it to work again, it will stay connected fine until the next time I try to watch a VOD, I have never successfully watched a full VOD program with my current set-up. I have called Directv and their only answer is a service call (at my expense) to make sure it is hooked up correctly. And as I can start a download and my Ipad app works fine and I have checked and rechecked all the connections I do not see how that would help me.

Additional info:
I had 3 HDDVRs (a 24 and 2 23s) and whole home DVR and it was hardwired to the internet by the installer at this time the VOD worked flawlessly, I moved to a new home that had the internet modem in a different room than any of the DVRs so the installer could not hook up the internet for me (I found after he left that he took the connector that was used with him when he left so even though I eventually moved the modem to a room with a DVR I no longer had the hardware I needed to hook it up the way it was in the old house, Directv sold me a wireless kit so I could hook back up (was cheaper) but I have a very fast internet and stream movies all the time on my apple tv and such all running off the wifi so I figured it should be fine.

Edited by HotSax, 26 January 2013 - 03:57 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

It sounds like you have a DECA setup and have a wireless-CCK to connect back to your router. Does the wireless device look like this?

http://www.solidsign...tion-kit-(cck-w)

If so, that device can be hooked up to work hard wired too. I would give that a try to see if the issue is because you are working wirelessly. To set it up to work in a wired mode, you need to turn off the wireless function on the CCK. The easiest way to do that is to just do a full reset of the CCK so that it is not set up for your wireless network. The other way is to connect to the CCK directly and turn off the wireless function while you have an Ethernet cable connected to the CCK from your router.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   HotSax

HotSax

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

That is the unit I have, I will have to go purchase a CAT cable to try hooking it up without using the wireless. Do you think it is a defect in the unit? As I can stream HD movies with ease to the same TV (using a different device) as I can put the modem in this room, but it reduces the range I get (I currently have it high up in the house) so I rather not keep it there

spam firewall