Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Updating External Hard Drive: Enclosure Question

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

All my external HDDs have fans which include an ANTEC MX-1. Most of my HDDs are 7200 - 10000 rpm. The drives get really hot which is an enemy of HDDs. You cannot hear the fans in any of the enclosures. Better safe than sorry is my mantra.

I agree about using enclosures with fans. I'm just saying that the MX-1's are not readily available anymore, we need to find a new actively cooled alternative enclosure. About the noise, I can hear every one I've ever owned, consider yourself lucky that you got nearly silent models, or you just cant pick it up. I've had 5 Antec MX-1's and none have ever been silent, but they are quiet enough for the peace of mind I get running the drives at lower temps for longevity. I've never lost a drive in an MX-1, but I've 2 in TT BlacX enclosures. Probably partly coincidence, and I'm sure partly heat. I do not use anything but AVGP drives because there is no advantage to using 7200-10000 rpm drives in these dvrs. I tested faster drives for months and there was absolutely no speed advantage, so I stayed away from the heat of the faster drives. I use nothing but the faster drives in my pc's, for obvious reasons.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

All my external HDDs have fans which include an ANTEC MX-1. Most of my HDDs are 7200 - 10000 rpm. The drives get really hot which is an enemy of HDDs. You cannot hear the fans in any of the enclosures. Better safe than sorry is my mantra.

My fanless enclosures don't get that hot. I have no problem putting my hand on them and leaving it there.

And yes, you can hear fans. I can tell a huge difference in room noise if/when I turn off my enclosure that does have a fan.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#23 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

My fanless enclosures don't get that hot. I have no problem putting my hand on them and leaving it there.

And yes, you can hear fans. I can tell a huge difference in room noise if/when I turn off my enclosure that does have a fan.

The drives in fanless enclosures do run about 10-15 degrees hotter. They are quite warm to the touch, whereas the ones in the enclosures with fans tend to run almost cool to the touch. Over the course of a few years, in my installations, it has made a difference to drive longevity. As I stated above, I've lost 2 drives in fanless enclosures, and zero in actively cooled ones. The fanless enclosures were actually all newer than the ones in the Antec's. Not everyone's experience will be identical, but no one can deny that the probability of a drive failure goes up with increased drive temperature in most cases.

#24 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

The drives in fanless enclosures do run about 10-15 degrees hotter. They are quite warm to the touch, whereas the ones in the enclosures with fans tend to run almost cool to the touch. Over the course of a few years, in my installations, it has made a difference to drive longevity. As I stated above, I've lost 2 drives in fanless enclosures, and zero in actively cooled ones. The fanless enclosures were actually all newer than the ones in the Antec's. Not everyone's experience will be identical, but no one can deny that the probability of a drive failure goes up with increased drive temperature in most cases.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I have an HR21 with a fanless enclosure in the same room as my HR34 with an enclosure with a fan. There's definitely not a "10-15 degree" difference. More like about 2 or 3, tops.

Like I said previously... As long as the drive isn't stored in a closed off area you don't need a fan.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#25 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Your ThermalTake experience is unfortunate; maybe they had a bad run of power buttons at that time. I do not move between internal and x drives so I never would even use the power button, and it appears you did not either, and they still opened up on you. Were it me I would just solder across the button forcing it on; if you really wanted to shut the enclosure down to move to the internal, you could then always just yank the power on the drive. Antecs are still out there, too.

The TT on/off button has always been an issue. They fail open, they fail closed. If you're lucky, they fail closed (on) and you can keep using them, you just pull the power plug if you have to reboot or with other problems. I've written about those switches a lot of times. It's the only problem I've ever had with a TT dock.

I don't think you can solder across the switch to keep it on, I've had them open with the intent to do just that and that switch seems to have other functions. Too many connections for it just to be a plain on/off switch. Gave up on that idea and just bought a new one. Once I have that switch on, I never touch it again.

Rich

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

If you left it on 24/7 how would you know it failed? Anyway the answer to your question: There are two ways to power the BlacX up or down.

1.) The cheap and simple way is to yank the power plug out of the wall plug or reinstall it.

2.) The more elegant way, but will cost you a couple of dollars, is that GE makes a small gizmo that you plug into the wall plug and then plug the BlacX into that. The GE gizmo has a small standard wall switch built into it.

You don't need the switch as far as I know. If it fails off (open), you'll know. If it fails on, you'll not see anything different happen that would lead you to believe the switch is broken.

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

As long as the drive isn't stored in a closed off area you don't need a fan. As I said above I used that enclosure for years, fanless, and it never overheated, no drive failure, etc. Fans just create noise that can ruin the viewing experience.

Truth.

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

I might go ahead and try again. I will say though that I returned the first one, because it happened really quickly (>week), and the same thing happened with the second. I saw in reviews/reports here and on Amazon that it wasn't that rare and decided to go back to the Antec. ... Which really doesn't seem like an option now, since the best price I can find via Google search is $65+ outrageous shipping, which is pretty ridiculous for an enclosure.

The way my set-up is, the hard drive will be kept on a shelf that is closed on three sides (open to front). It's not especially crowded, but it's also not totally open, either. There's really no other place for it to be.

Get a new TT dock. Plug it in. If you don't see a power light come on, turn the switch on. If the HR recognizes the HDD in the dock, don't touch the on/off button on the dock ever again. Just pull out the cord to shut it down. I've got one with a failed switch that failed on and I've been using it without problems for a couple years.

You won't have any problems with heat or noise (unless the HDD is noisy). If your location is a problem, make sure when you move things around you don't knock the dock over, if it's on, the HDD may be damaged when it falls.

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

We've had good luck with these: http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00

We have 3 of them currently, each with a 1TB drive, on 2 HR24s and a HR21.

Assuming you bought the enclosure from Amazon, how do you make a link to them? For about 6 months I haven't been able to do that because I get a line across the top of the page that says I bought this item and gives me the option to buy it again or something like that and when I preview the post the link shows my sign in page at Amazon. Must be a setting on Amazon, but I can't find it.

Rich

#30 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

I put my hands on the HDDs in the TT docks and they're just not hot. Warm, but I expect that. I've never had an MX-1 that I would consider quiet, either. But they did work well.

Rich

#31 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I have an HR21 with a fanless enclosure in the same room as my HR34 with an enclosure with a fan. There's definitely not a "10-15 degree" difference. More like about 2 or 3, tops.

Like I said previously... As long as the drive isn't stored in a closed off area you don't need a fan.

I think the WD drives are rated at about 150 degrees. They don't get nearly that hot in a dock. Of course, you don't want to stick them in a closed cabinet.

Rich

#32 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,754 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

I think the WD drives are rated at about 150 degrees. They don't get nearly that hot in a dock. Of course, you don't want to stick them in a closed cabinet.

Rich

That would be at edge of normal functionality range. Don't bring it to the level.

#33 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

That would be at edge of normal functionality range. Don't bring it to the level.

I know, now others do. Thanx for the clarification.

Rich

#34 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

We've had good luck with these: http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00

We have 3 of them currently, each with a 1TB drive, on 2 HR24s and a HR21.

I did get one of these with a WD20EURS (2 TB Western Digital Hard Drive) and was impressed with how easy it was to set up (slide out drive bay), how quiet the fan was and how solid the enclosure felt. It's only been up and running a few days but so far, so good.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and assistance!

#35 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

I did get one of these with a WD20EURS (2 TB Western Digital Hard Drive) and was impressed with how easy it was to set up (slide out drive bay), how quiet the fan was and how solid the enclosure felt. It's only been up and running a few days but so far, so good.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and assistance!

Are you sure that model even has a fan?

Edited by CCarncross, 06 February 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#36 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

Are you sure that model even has a fan?

It doesn't, I own 2 and they are perfectly fine without a fan.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#37 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

That explains how quiet the fan is... :lol:

Rich

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,754 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

That explains how quiet the fan is... :lol:

Rich

more important, how it's please :D

#39 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

Assuming you bought the enclosure from Amazon, how do you make a link to them? For about 6 months I haven't been able to do that because I get a line across the top of the page that says I bought this item and gives me the option to buy it again or something like that and when I preview the post the link shows my sign in page at Amazon. Must be a setting on Amazon, but I can't find it.

Rich

Beats me Rich...I just looked it up in my order history, clicked on the link in the order and copied and pasted the resulting URL. I get the line at the top about when I last ordered it too, but if I logout I get the same page without the "You purchased this item..." line. I don't remember changing any settings.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#40 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

See, told you it was quiet ;)

Doh! on me though.

spam firewall