Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Customer Service and Retention Useless....

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,114 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

On average DISH normally clears around $5 per month per subscriber.

Sorry don't buy that! Back up that statement.:nono:

Profit divided by months divided by subscribers.
For 2Q 12* that would be $226 million divided by 14.06 million divided by 3.
$5.35 per month per subscriber.

(3Q 12 was the only quarter DISH posted a loss since 2003, so I skipped that for the math. 2010 was a abnormal year, but the averages for 2009 $5.81, 2008 $3.76, 2007 $5.50, 2006 $4.57, 2005 $3.87 - DISH does not make much on a per month per subscriber basis.)

Totaling up what it would cost YOU to have DISH for two years does not reflect what it would cost DISH to have you for two years. Take away the average cost of having customers (running the company, paying the channel providers, etc) and there is not a lot of margin.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Welcome back!

?? I'm with Dish now, just switched last week.

Aren't you still with D*??

EDIT: Duh! I read your sig and it didn't connect! :)

and thanks.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#23 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

I fail to understand why some folks have so many problems dealing with Dish. I have been with Dish for 10 years this summer and the few, perhaps three times, I have had an issue, be it technical or administrative, and I have had the problem resolved relatively effortlessly on my part with a single phone call, chat or DIRT contact.

I am mystified by the constant complaints and numerous equipment failures a few people seem to have continually. It makes me feel I am one lucky SOB or some folk’s expectations are far too high to be met. Now, do not ask me about trying to deal with AT&T or Charter Cable, because I can have an entire manifesto about those companies service and methodology, yet their CSR’s were always very understanding and did all they could to resolve issues never promising what they could not deliver.

To be honest, I recently did research switching to Direct, because the thought of a 5-tuner receiver intrigued me. However, once the costs were projected out over 24 months, I saw no savings at all. In fact it would cost me more even with the promotion than I am currently paying even with the recent price increases. Besides, if you take the time to read the Direct forums it is like looking into a mirror. They have their share of fan boys, malcontents and equipment issues just as much as Dish.

I just upgraded to a VIP 922 receiver from a 722K, which handles my family room HD set, a small bedroom set, and that is more than adequate for my viewing needs. With the OTA mod installed, I can record 4 streams and am very pleased.

My trusty 722K now sits at the ready should it ever need to be called to service once again. Although, I have never had any problems with equipment failures with any receiver, with the exception of a lightening strike in a neighboring tree taking out a DSL modem and the modems of a 722 and 211 4 years ago. That problem was found to be the DSL/Phone lines were not properly grounded and if they had been it is unlikely the lightening surge would have caused that damage.

It just amazing me that with my somewhat pernickety nature how completely pleased I am with my Dish service and others are found to be so outraged. Of course, I am considered a 5 star customer, so perhaps they treat us better than the conventional rabble.

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,114 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

The only issue I have had with DISH was over OTA channels ... people all the way up to Executive Resolutions lying to me about how the guide data on DISH receivers is provided. Sorry - I know better, so don't lie to me. (And yes, I do know better - They were saying guide data was received OTA from each station by the receiver. The truth is DISH transmits guide data for OTA feeds and links the data to each station. I can show them the channels and EPG data in the satellite feeds that are used to provide the guide data - but the people I dealt with would rather believe their own lies.)

Now I have a receiver that does not receive OTA ... and I'm not going to pay for a module to get OTA until they can prove they fixed the guide data for my market.

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,993 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Those people are just office clerks, no way they're know and (more then that) do understand the System Info tables streaming and its content.
You will need to find someone from related Dept, who are responsible to at least first level of the feed, perhaps in that dept what have a deal with TVGuide's owners.

#26 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,114 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

I don't mind them not understanding ... but they did not pass me on to any more educated people. (Getting to those people is not trivial.) They claimed that they could send on my complaint but (even for executive resolutions) "there was no way to follow up on the request". That is sad. One would think that executive resolutions would have a way to follow up to see if anything got done.

Oh well ... it's only TV.

#27 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

One can have a poor experience with any business. Don't thow out the baby with the bathwater! :rolleyes:

We have been with Dish for nearly nine years, with AEP (DVR plus all of the premiums). When pricing these, they are always a little less exepnsive than D*. My husband and I have "only" two TV's. Dish has provided OUTSTANDING CS IMOSHO.

When they dropped AMC temporarily last summer, we were given many incentives to stay, and I'm glad we did. When I told Dish I was thinking of switching, (as AMC is important), I was serious, firm, but polite and praised their past CS. They seem to want to retain a good customer. Of course, I'm sure with the package that we have, we are (hopefully) making Dish more than $5/month profit! ;)

One can hear "horror stories" about any large business, but at the end of the day, your personal satisfaction is what counts.

Edited by joyandjerry, 28 January 2013 - 11:17 AM.
typo

JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#28 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

He wanted a better deal than they were willing to give to keep him...I dont see how this has anything to do with CS or retention being useless. It seems to have everything to do with someone who didnt get their way and has a false sense of entitlement.

#29 OFFLINE   DaveM

DaveM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

He wanted a better deal than they were willing to give to keep him...I dont see how this has anything to do with CS or retention being useless. It seems to have everything to do with someone who didnt get their way and has a false sense of entitlement.

If I'm reading the original post correctly, and unless there's more to the story than we're hearing about, it seems that Dish promised him something initially, and then *they* reneged.

If that's the case, I'd probably be PO'ed as well.

Edited by DaveM, 28 January 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Yes but I suspect it was a phone conversation and the other party probably had a different understanding. Happens all the time, unfortunately. Local Dish retailers can have issues of their own, but at least it's easy to get a piece of paper out of them that tells you what you will get. Or, with a text chat or PMs here it's easy to save the messages. But verbal agreements can be dicey.

#31 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

If I'm reading the original post correctly, and unless there's more to the story than we're hearing about, it seems that Dish promised him something initially, and then *they* reneged.

If that's the case, I'd probably be PO'ed as well.

Maybe. Maybe not.

The sign up phone call goes over so much information and so many lines of terms of service that the customer has to verbally agree to. Most customers start drowning out everything the agent says and just starts saying yes to everything..

Ive seen multiple times where a Agent finds out that the customer didnt quite qualify for everything, he tells them but since the customer just head a minutes worth of Dish Jargon they just tune it out and agree to the new changes..

Edited by Inkosaurus, 28 January 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,114 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Ive seen multiple times where a Agent finds out that the customer didnt quite qualify for everything, he tells them but since the customer just head a minutes worth of Dish Jargon they just tune it out and agree to the new changes..

It would be the responsibility of the agent to make sure that they communicated accurately and professionally and that the actual terms were understood. The ones pushing to wrap the sale and letting someone else figure out the problems after install are a problem.

#33 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

It would be the responsibility of the agent to make sure that they communicated accurately and professionally and that the actual terms were understood. The ones pushing to wrap the sale and letting someone else figure out the problems after install are a problem.

Its the customers responsibility to listen to what there agreeing too :lol:
The scenario may vary, but agents arent money hungry D-Bags who go for the sale.

There calculating employees trying to protect there pay check, what do you think happens if there sale is canceled when the tech gets to the house?
Furthermore they even lose a cut if the customer changes there programming/equipment with in the first two weeks of being a customer.
They make darn sure they set up the customer with what they want before the phone call ends, but theres only so much they can do if the customer is just tuning most of it out.

Theres a lot of measures set in place to prevent agents from being sneaky money grubbers just looking for a sale, if they were all trying to screw the customer they would be getting extremely small pay checks, followed by a swift loss of employment :P

Sure theres bad eggs, theres some in every business and department. But honestly the most trust worthy people you can meet are sales agents, cause they have a pay check to protect. Technically the same can not be said for other departments.

#34 OFFLINE   DaveM

DaveM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

Maybe. Maybe not.

The sign up phone call goes over so much information and so many lines of terms of service that the customer has to verbally agree to. Most customers start drowning out everything the agent says and just starts saying yes to everything..

Hence, my qualifier about there being "more to the story than we're hearing about." That is, I'll accept that the lines of communication *may* have possibly been blurred or misinterpreted at some point.

On the other hand, the OP stated that he verified what he thought he was getting *twice* before the actual install. Thus, it would have required a misinterpretation or miscommunication......twice. :)

#35 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

I left Dish over $60 or should I say they let me go over $60. I was no longer under contract with them. I had a DVR, but wanted to upgrade to the hopper. They were willing to waive the fee and install for the hopper. Sure there was a new 2 year committment and I had no problem with that. But I'm like hey if I'm committing with you for 2 more years you should give me a small deal on programming, because if I go to Directv they have the Genie and they will give me $35 off for 12 months, then $10 off for the next 12 months, plus all premiums free for the first 3 months. So all I wanted was $10 off for 12 months and HBO free for 12 months, much less than what Directv would offer me. Dish was willing to give me $10 off for 6 months and that's it. Nothing more take it or leave it. I talked to their Dirt team, retention dept. they could care less if I left for Directv so I did. And I was ok if they didn't want to give me HBO for the year. When I finally called to cancel after I had my Directv install all set up the Dish retention person told me she would have given me what I was asking, but I told her too late. I had wasted enough time with them. I had heard that Directv has a better retention dept. and was happy to be with a company that would treat existing customers better. My wife's friend who was out of her committment with Directv was given $20 off a month for 12 months. It was like pulling teeth for me to get $10 off with Dish. My bill would have gone up $5 a month had I stayed and my Choice package is no longer $4 more than AT 200 it's now the same and all the channels I want are in there. And with Sunday Ticket now only $199 I can hardly wait for football season to start again.

#36 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

the problem here is when talking to retention, one rep can make you a terrific deal to stay, but if you don't take it right then and there, the deal is NOT documented in the notes......so when you call back, the details of the deal and sometimes even the call it self are non-existent.

I talked to 5 different reps on 5 different phone calls, and every rep quoted me something different, including the last one that told me I'd have to pay $199 to reactivate my account..

Even the corporate office eventually handled my issue, and admitted "sometimes you just get stuck in a black hole with the call centers"....

You think?

#37 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

I was never offered anything different. I probably talked to 5 or 6 either via internet or phone. Only the very last one when cancelling said, oh I would have given you $10 off your programming for a year to keep you. The thing is read some of the Directv post their retention people are much more generous when dealing with existing subs in good standing and I've heard that before with people my wife or I know as well. Dish is tight when it comes to retention of customers.

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,993 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

I found it is interesting to count expenses for DTV/dish to make customer like you happy:
- a few minutes of CSR time: less then $5
- update your record in customer's DB: less then $1
- keep your record in DB: less then $12 per year
- send EMM commands via sats to update your smart card in STBs: a few cents
- what else I missed ? CEO premium payment ?

Signal e.g. programs is broadcasting to all devices same time, regardless if it counted as 1M or 100M of these;
Equipment ? - appreciated after 2 years contract, could be totally written off books or after minimal expenses for cleanup will be leased to other subscriber for a good profit.

What else I missed ?!

#39 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 416 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

I wish I had a dollar for every post I've read that talked about being promised a free upgrade only to learn later that it wasn't. Some realize on install as the OP did and some figure it out when they get the bill. Seems there is some blame to be had on both ends or there wouldn't be so many stories. I know when I call for an upgrade that they didn't reach out to me for that there is some cost involved because I keep current on what the going rate is for an upgrade. When the going rate is in my comfort zone I upgrade if I'm so inclined.

#40 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Since Dish is very good with chat, I've never figured out why anyone would call to do an upgrade. Do it with chat and save the session and then you have the info you need if something goes awry.

And chat also reduces the chance that language/accent barriers cause miscommunication.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...