Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Customer Service and Retention Useless....

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

I don't mind them not understanding ... but they did not pass me on to any more educated people. (Getting to those people is not trivial.) They claimed that they could send on my complaint but (even for executive resolutions) "there was no way to follow up on the request". That is sad. One would think that executive resolutions would have a way to follow up to see if anything got done.

Oh well ... it's only TV.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

One can have a poor experience with any business. Don't thow out the baby with the bathwater! :rolleyes:

We have been with Dish for nearly nine years, with AEP (DVR plus all of the premiums). When pricing these, they are always a little less exepnsive than D*. My husband and I have "only" two TV's. Dish has provided OUTSTANDING CS IMOSHO.

When they dropped AMC temporarily last summer, we were given many incentives to stay, and I'm glad we did. When I told Dish I was thinking of switching, (as AMC is important), I was serious, firm, but polite and praised their past CS. They seem to want to retain a good customer. Of course, I'm sure with the package that we have, we are (hopefully) making Dish more than $5/month profit! ;)

One can hear "horror stories" about any large business, but at the end of the day, your personal satisfaction is what counts.

Edited by joyandjerry, 28 January 2013 - 11:17 AM.
typo

JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#28 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

He wanted a better deal than they were willing to give to keep him...I dont see how this has anything to do with CS or retention being useless. It seems to have everything to do with someone who didnt get their way and has a false sense of entitlement.

#29 OFFLINE   DaveM

DaveM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

He wanted a better deal than they were willing to give to keep him...I dont see how this has anything to do with CS or retention being useless. It seems to have everything to do with someone who didnt get their way and has a false sense of entitlement.

If I'm reading the original post correctly, and unless there's more to the story than we're hearing about, it seems that Dish promised him something initially, and then *they* reneged.

If that's the case, I'd probably be PO'ed as well.

Edited by DaveM, 28 January 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Yes but I suspect it was a phone conversation and the other party probably had a different understanding. Happens all the time, unfortunately. Local Dish retailers can have issues of their own, but at least it's easy to get a piece of paper out of them that tells you what you will get. Or, with a text chat or PMs here it's easy to save the messages. But verbal agreements can be dicey.

#31 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

If I'm reading the original post correctly, and unless there's more to the story than we're hearing about, it seems that Dish promised him something initially, and then *they* reneged.

If that's the case, I'd probably be PO'ed as well.

Maybe. Maybe not.

The sign up phone call goes over so much information and so many lines of terms of service that the customer has to verbally agree to. Most customers start drowning out everything the agent says and just starts saying yes to everything..

Ive seen multiple times where a Agent finds out that the customer didnt quite qualify for everything, he tells them but since the customer just head a minutes worth of Dish Jargon they just tune it out and agree to the new changes..

Edited by Inkosaurus, 28 January 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Ive seen multiple times where a Agent finds out that the customer didnt quite qualify for everything, he tells them but since the customer just head a minutes worth of Dish Jargon they just tune it out and agree to the new changes..

It would be the responsibility of the agent to make sure that they communicated accurately and professionally and that the actual terms were understood. The ones pushing to wrap the sale and letting someone else figure out the problems after install are a problem.

#33 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

It would be the responsibility of the agent to make sure that they communicated accurately and professionally and that the actual terms were understood. The ones pushing to wrap the sale and letting someone else figure out the problems after install are a problem.

Its the customers responsibility to listen to what there agreeing too :lol:
The scenario may vary, but agents arent money hungry D-Bags who go for the sale.

There calculating employees trying to protect there pay check, what do you think happens if there sale is canceled when the tech gets to the house?
Furthermore they even lose a cut if the customer changes there programming/equipment with in the first two weeks of being a customer.
They make darn sure they set up the customer with what they want before the phone call ends, but theres only so much they can do if the customer is just tuning most of it out.

Theres a lot of measures set in place to prevent agents from being sneaky money grubbers just looking for a sale, if they were all trying to screw the customer they would be getting extremely small pay checks, followed by a swift loss of employment :P

Sure theres bad eggs, theres some in every business and department. But honestly the most trust worthy people you can meet are sales agents, cause they have a pay check to protect. Technically the same can not be said for other departments.

#34 OFFLINE   DaveM

DaveM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

Maybe. Maybe not.

The sign up phone call goes over so much information and so many lines of terms of service that the customer has to verbally agree to. Most customers start drowning out everything the agent says and just starts saying yes to everything..

Hence, my qualifier about there being "more to the story than we're hearing about." That is, I'll accept that the lines of communication *may* have possibly been blurred or misinterpreted at some point.

On the other hand, the OP stated that he verified what he thought he was getting *twice* before the actual install. Thus, it would have required a misinterpretation or miscommunication......twice. :)

#35 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

I left Dish over $60 or should I say they let me go over $60. I was no longer under contract with them. I had a DVR, but wanted to upgrade to the hopper. They were willing to waive the fee and install for the hopper. Sure there was a new 2 year committment and I had no problem with that. But I'm like hey if I'm committing with you for 2 more years you should give me a small deal on programming, because if I go to Directv they have the Genie and they will give me $35 off for 12 months, then $10 off for the next 12 months, plus all premiums free for the first 3 months. So all I wanted was $10 off for 12 months and HBO free for 12 months, much less than what Directv would offer me. Dish was willing to give me $10 off for 6 months and that's it. Nothing more take it or leave it. I talked to their Dirt team, retention dept. they could care less if I left for Directv so I did. And I was ok if they didn't want to give me HBO for the year. When I finally called to cancel after I had my Directv install all set up the Dish retention person told me she would have given me what I was asking, but I told her too late. I had wasted enough time with them. I had heard that Directv has a better retention dept. and was happy to be with a company that would treat existing customers better. My wife's friend who was out of her committment with Directv was given $20 off a month for 12 months. It was like pulling teeth for me to get $10 off with Dish. My bill would have gone up $5 a month had I stayed and my Choice package is no longer $4 more than AT 200 it's now the same and all the channels I want are in there. And with Sunday Ticket now only $199 I can hardly wait for football season to start again.

#36 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

the problem here is when talking to retention, one rep can make you a terrific deal to stay, but if you don't take it right then and there, the deal is NOT documented in the notes......so when you call back, the details of the deal and sometimes even the call it self are non-existent.

I talked to 5 different reps on 5 different phone calls, and every rep quoted me something different, including the last one that told me I'd have to pay $199 to reactivate my account..

Even the corporate office eventually handled my issue, and admitted "sometimes you just get stuck in a black hole with the call centers"....

You think?

#37 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

I was never offered anything different. I probably talked to 5 or 6 either via internet or phone. Only the very last one when cancelling said, oh I would have given you $10 off your programming for a year to keep you. The thing is read some of the Directv post their retention people are much more generous when dealing with existing subs in good standing and I've heard that before with people my wife or I know as well. Dish is tight when it comes to retention of customers.

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,217 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

I found it is interesting to count expenses for DTV/dish to make customer like you happy:
- a few minutes of CSR time: less then $5
- update your record in customer's DB: less then $1
- keep your record in DB: less then $12 per year
- send EMM commands via sats to update your smart card in STBs: a few cents
- what else I missed ? CEO premium payment ?

Signal e.g. programs is broadcasting to all devices same time, regardless if it counted as 1M or 100M of these;
Equipment ? - appreciated after 2 years contract, could be totally written off books or after minimal expenses for cleanup will be leased to other subscriber for a good profit.

What else I missed ?!

#39 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

I wish I had a dollar for every post I've read that talked about being promised a free upgrade only to learn later that it wasn't. Some realize on install as the OP did and some figure it out when they get the bill. Seems there is some blame to be had on both ends or there wouldn't be so many stories. I know when I call for an upgrade that they didn't reach out to me for that there is some cost involved because I keep current on what the going rate is for an upgrade. When the going rate is in my comfort zone I upgrade if I'm so inclined.

#40 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Since Dish is very good with chat, I've never figured out why anyone would call to do an upgrade. Do it with chat and save the session and then you have the info you need if something goes awry.

And chat also reduces the chance that language/accent barriers cause miscommunication.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey, Genie
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#41 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

I guess I'm the exception to the rule, but over the years, my free equipment upgrades have been fully free :) (other than the expected 2 yr agreements)

I wish I had a dollar for every post I've read that talked about being promised a free upgrade only to learn later that it wasn't. Some realize on install as the OP did and some figure it out when they get the bill. Seems there is some blame to be had on both ends or there wouldn't be so many stories. I know when I call for an upgrade that they didn't reach out to me for that there is some cost involved because I keep current on what the going rate is for an upgrade. When the going rate is in my comfort zone I upgrade if I'm so inclined.

#42 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,217 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Since Dish is very good with chat, I've never figured out why anyone would call to do an upgrade. Do it with chat and save the session and then you have the info you need if something goes awry.

And chat also reduces the chance that language/accent barriers cause miscommunication.

I did point about that as preferred way of communication, when we discuss other nasty outcome - your owned equipment become dish property one day.

But ppl do post same questions, falling in same traps without hesitation to read good history here :(

#43 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

What else I missed ?!

DISH expects to give customers a discount for one year and then have them pay regular price for at least one year more after that. People who keep pushing for additional discounts cause DISH to lose money. If DISH gave a new customer deal to customers every two years it would be more difficult to get to the point where customers are paying full price for their service.

DISH needs the right kind of customer ... a customer who is paying full price.
  • Grampa67 likes this

#44 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

It would be nice if the OP could give us an update on the situation after talking to DIRT. I would think something would have been resolved in the last week either stay or go.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#45 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

Some years ago I had several issues with the local Dish hub not putting items on the truck called for on the agreed to work order.

The 'real' problem, I believe, was the Dish home office was not reimbursing the local hub for some items, but from my POV as an independent HT installer, I don't care what internal problems are going on in the Dish organization, leave me TOTALLY out of your internal P'ing contest. First encounter with the problem was not fun and took much time, second occurrence and I am no longer Mr. Nice Guy. Eventually, the Dish ERT mailed me the items directly from the home office, as the local hub never put the equipment on the truck, in spite of the work order showing it.

I'm still annoyed I was pulled into some internal fooferall, very unprofessional, and a huge time wasting ordeal for my clients and myself.

Fortunately, that problem hasn't come back for several years and I've had pretty smooth sailing with Dish since.

Much to my surprise recently, I negotiated an upgrade for a client, had a confirmation number, install appointment, and had given the rep all the numbers off a preowned H20 and it was cleared for a transfer to a different clients account. Last step was to get a new card for the old box, and the 'card guy' absolutely would not issue a card for the old H20. I explained to the 'card guy' I had given the RID and access card number, and it was clean, DirecTV did not want the box back (they still don't as of last Friday) done deal, don't mess this up, etc. and still no card.

I stressed that any kind of 'internal turf war' thing at DirecTV would cause a 10 year customer to jump to the competition, still no card. The guy swore the box could not be recarded, and I, even anticipating this, had gone over this very point with the CSR when we made the deal. Still no go. Ok I say, as long as the $$$ is the same, send a different box and I'll mail back the hinky H20. No go, need $100 now to complete the deal.

I repeated the confirmation #, and said you HAVE to honor the deal, or we're walking. He said no card, and that was it.

And we called Dish.

Same day the Dish install occured, FedEx brought a H2X (I didn't open the shipping box). Have no idea what triggered that, but Dish was there, and my customer got a Hopper and 3 Joeys. Few days later, got the shipping boxes from Direct and everything went back, except the hinky H20 the still don't want.

I don't really know what's wrong, first CSR took the numbers and cleared it, don't know why the recard guy couldn't get the same info from the DirecTV computers, but he couldn't, wouldn't or didn't. For me, once we have a deal, a deals a deal. Renege at your peril.

Very unusual situation for me, I've had boxes recarded before, I've had a few run ins with Dish and DirecTV (never Cox cable though, don't know why) but it was really wild how far south that one went.

Doesn't sour me on Direct, just like the old work order problem with Dish didn't sour me on them. Heck, I call both companies every week and head off problems all the time. I'm first name basis with most all the Dish and Direct installers in this area, and like working with all of them except 'Tod'. LOL. Stuff happens and we move on.

Any one want an H20 ?

#46 OFFLINE   ilike2eattacos

ilike2eattacos

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

I have (2) VIP722 receivers in my house.
This is my current bill.

America's Top 250 - $74.99
HD/SD (2TV) DVR Receiver - $17.00
DVR Service - $7.00
Protection Plan - $7.00
DVR Integration - $4.00
HD 250 Free ($10/Mo) - $0.00

Monthly Charges = $109.99

I've never understood the $24 total in DVR fees.

I've been a DISH customer for 15 years now and im about to contact them before I unplug my service and switch to directTV.

I called them last month and offered me a hopper at a discounted price (woohoo..) but told me i would have to pay yet another DVR fee on top of the DVR fees im already paying. So I said no thank you. They didn't offer me any discounts or anything despite having NEVER been late on a payment.

I don't blame the user hear wanting to split over $100.
I'm about to do the same if they offer me zero discounts to stay with them.

#47 OFFLINE   ilike2eattacos

ilike2eattacos

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

This is my current bill.

DVR Service - $7.00
Protection Plan - $7.00
DVR Integration - $4.00

I've been a DISH customer for 15 years now and im about to contact them before I unplug my service and switch to directTV.

I called them last month and offered me a hopper at a discounted price (woohoo..) but told me i would have to pay yet another DVR fee on top of the DVR fees im already paying. So I said no thank you. They didn't offer me any discounts or anything despite having NEVER been late on a payment.

I don't blame the user hear wanting to split over $100.
I'm about to do the same if they offer me zero discounts to stay with them.

Here is what I was offered:

Rufus (ID: HZE): Yes, *****, however, there would be a one time charge of $100 for Hopper with Sling receiver.*

lol
I guess it's time to move to direct tv?
Maybe.

#48 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:23 AM

This is my current bill.

DVR Service - $7.00
Protection Plan - $7.00
DVR Integration - $4.00

Well first of all, why ARE you paying the $4 DVR Integration fee??? Unless you are running your DVR through that Google TV box, that fee should NOT be on your account.

Second, you are ONLY paying $7 in actual DVR fees; the $17 is for the monthly prog fee for your 2nd 722; this fee is charged for each additional duo (2-room) DVR you have past the 1st one.

Now regarding the DVR fee for the H/J system; they didn't clearly explain the DVR fee on it; it's actually $10/month per account, so you DVR fee would only be going up $3 (IOW, the $7 fee changes to $10, which is actually a DVR/whole house fee for the H/J system) However, if you switched both 722's to a H/J system, (they will NOT let you mix other DVR's on an account w/the H/J system) do keep in mind there are only 3 tuners in the Hopper receiver; you have 4 now between both your 722's. Depending on how use your receivers now, that could be an issue for you... ;)

#49 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

• Registered
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

What Rich said. The $4 integration fee is for a Logitech GoogleTV box. You can cut that and only lose the GTV indexing the DVR's recordings.

Dump the protection plan. With those gone plus moving from dual 722's to a Hopper/Joey setup you'd go to 92.99 (if my math is right).

Base: AT250 $74.99
Joey: $7
WHDVR: $11

"Belligerent and numerous."

SlingTV, Tablo and Plex to Roku 3s and Chromecasts on a Vizio 42" in the living room and a Toshiba 32" in my bedroom. Xbox 360 client on a Westinghouse 42" in the game room. Tablets EVERYWHERE!

I used to update the Dish Network FAQ but not anymore.

#50 OFFLINE   ilike2eattacos

ilike2eattacos

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

Thank you dishRICH and RasputinAXP for the comments.
I now have a better understanding of the fees.

1. I need to ditch "DVR Integration - $4.00"
(I don't use the google TVbox, I don't need it.)

2. I should dump the $7 protection plan

Ok, so I guess my qestion next is what should I ask for?
With two DVRs (722) I was able to watch/record on 4 TVs. (I have 5 TVs now)

Getting rid of 1 & 2 above I now save $11 a month.

As I mentioned earlier, the only offer they made was a Hopper with Sling receiver and making me pay $100.

The retention person I chatted with was very short and seemed like they wanted to split instead of help me. A little dissappointing to say the least.

I appreciate your comments/help.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...