Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Customer Service and Retention Useless....

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

• Registered
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

Depends on if you want all 4 tvs hooked up. I'd be inclined to go with the 2 Hopper 2 Joey combination but cost wise that brings you to $21 in receiver fees a month. Then again that's 4 tvs in HD and six tuners to work with.

Up to you. Each H or J is 7 a month, so if you do a hopper with sling, a regular hopper and 2 joeys you're paying the same as 1 hopper and 3 joeys. Up front cost may be a little more. I'm not sure where they are with 2nd hoppers.

"Belligerent and numerous."

SlingTV, Tablo and Plex to Roku 3s and Chromecasts on a Vizio 42" in the living room and a Toshiba 32" in my bedroom. Xbox 360 client on a Westinghouse 42" in the game room. Tablets EVERYWHERE!

I used to update the Dish Network FAQ but not anymore.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

Thank you dishRICH and RasputinAXP for the comments.
I now have a better understanding of the fees.

1. I need to ditch "DVR Integration - $4.00"
(I don't use the google TVbox, I don't need it.)

2. I should dump the $7 protection plan

Ok, so I guess my qestion next is what should I ask for?
With two DVRs (722) I was able to watch/record on 4 TVs. (I have 5 TVs now)

Getting rid of 1 & 2 above I now save $11 a month.

As I mentioned earlier, the only offer they made was a Hopper with Sling receiver and making me pay $100.

The retention person I chatted with was very short and seemed like they wanted to split instead of help me. A little dissappointing to say the least.

I appreciate your comments/help.

Well, right now you are paying $24 in equipment fees ($7 dvr fee, $17 for the second 722). You have 5 tvs. If you did 2 hoppers and 3 joeys, your fees would come to $38. With the $11 you're looking at saving, that would put you $3 higher than current, and running all 5 tvs. Or if you're ok with still only having 4, would be looking at $31, so saving $4. I'd suggest two hoppers and 2 joeys in that case. Just my two cents.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#53 OFFLINE   ilike2eattacos

ilike2eattacos

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

Thanks to all that replied and offered some assistance.
Dish didn't offer me much. I'm very dissapointed and think I may cancel my service this weekend.

#54 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

I have been with Dish for nearly 10 years now and have had excellent customer service in that time period. I have never paid a dime for a tech visit or any replacement equipment they have sent out to me. Only had a couple of glitches in billing or own equipment and either a single phone call or contacting a DIRT member has resolved those.

Cannot complain at all. Love them over my local cable company!

#55 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

Been with Dish since March of 2003.

Currently have a 722k with MT2 module and Sling adapter plus 2 ViP211's and one ViP211k.

Contacted DIRT about upgrade to Hopper last week,

Scheduled for 2 standard Hoppers and 3 Joeys install tomorrow afternoon - no up front cost other than subbing to DHA to prevent $95 tech visit and I'll buy 2 Hopper OTA adapters asap since Dish does not have our locals in HD.

About 3 years ago I got the 722k free as an upgrade from my 622.

My monthly bill with Dish is just under $100 - the Hopper stuff will bump it to just over $100, but my daughter who lives with us pays me for the 2 movie channels we sub or I still would be below $100/month.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#56 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

We've been with Dish since 2000, and currently are paying $57. We just get less stuff. Fewer receivers, smaller package. Sometimes you just have to decide what's really important. For instance when we look at the AT250 package vs the one we have now, we would like to have BBCA, and as I recall, one other channel. $15/month is a bit much for 2 commercial channels so we just stick with what we have now. With a DVR, we still have to give up some shows because there simply isn't time to watch everything in the AT120 package we have now. (And there are two lower priced packages too.) There are lots of options.

#57 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

I cancelled the Hopper install yesterday am after discovering that on 5/22/2013 the fees on the Hopper jump from $10 to $14 for DVR fee and from $7 to $14 for the receiver fee on 2nd+ Hopper.

My monthly bill would have gone up $17 anyway with the Hopper (had to add the Protection Pack for $7)  but with the fee hike that turns into $28/month and the Hopper system is just not worth that much more.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#58 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

After 3.5 years, bye bye dish.

I called Dish on Thursday and told them I was thinking about getting Direct TV and wanted to know if they had a similar deal.

I was offered a hopper with sling and 2 joeys for a little bit more than I am paying now. No upfront fees.... I called back about an hour later to confirm I would be getting the hopper with sling and was told I would.

Fast forward to today. The installer came and did about 30 minutes worth of work. He then went to get the Hopper and told me that the work order said it was just a hopper. He called Dish and they said the Hopper with Sling would be 200 dollars extra. I said no, they transfered me to Retention who told me they'd knock 100 dollars off the price. I still said no and they immediately canceled the work order. The poor installer didn't even get paid for the time he spent here.

I was going to sign a 2 year contract worth almost 2000 dollars and Dish wanted to argue with about 100 dollars.... What terrible customer service.

I guess I'll be calling DirecTV this week and calling Dish for the final time early this week.

Edit --

To clarify, I did not speak with the DIRT team. I got them confused. I spoke with Customer Retention.

Good thing I didn't follow through my sling loaded hopper. They were going to offer it to me for $50 dollar upgrade, dish used to have good customer service but after the 15 yrs of being with them they are horrible and rising their prices.

Edited by comizzou573, 20 April 2013 - 10:24 PM.

#59 OFFLINE   ilike2eattacos

ilike2eattacos

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

I just called a few minutes to ask what they had to offer for my two crappy broke down dvrs. THey work 50% of the time, and yes I pay for the $7 insurance as mentioned above.. they offered to replace them, and offered me a hopper to replace one of them.

I am now 48hrs awy from cancelling my service after 15+ years.

Their customer service/retention folks are not very good unlikes past years.

Last 48 hrs as a dish customer unless i get a miracle call back.. and that won't hapepn. What they don't know is i'm also going to cancel (2) business accounts.

In total i was paying dish $400 a month. oh well

#60 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

Seems like the best thing for you AND Dish is to just move on. Dish it seems has come to that conclusion.

#61 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

I just called a few minutes to ask what they had to offer for my two crappy broke down dvrs. THey work 50% of the time, and yes I pay for the $7 insurance as mentioned above.. they offered to replace them, and offered me a hopper to replace one of them.
I am now 48hrs awy from cancelling my service after 15+ years.
Their customer service/retention folks are not very good unlikes past years.

Last 48 hrs as a dish customer unless i get a miracle call back.. and that won't hapepn. What they don't know is i'm also going to cancel (2) business accounts.
In total i was paying dish $400 a month. oh well

So you ask what they could do, they offer to replace with the best stuff they have and so you are going to drop them? What did you want? DISH to come out and hit the remote buttons for you while you sit on your couch?
  • sigma1914 likes this

#62 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

I dont quite understand this either, they were going to replace what he has with new stuff and he doesnt think its a good enough deal? 

#63 OFFLINE   ilike2eattacos

ilike2eattacos

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

They want to charge me $50, give me a hopper no joeys or anything else. Sure, you can look at it that way, they are giving me an upgrade but I have to pay $50.

Well, my bill will increase with that hopper.

Should I be happy that they are replacing my broken DVR's, I guess so.. but isn't that would they should do since I've paid the $7 a month for 3 years now?

The point is I'm not being offered ANYTHING more than what a customer thats been w/ them for 2-4 years would get and I've been a customer it turns out for 17.5 years.

Hey, no biggie. Monday afternoon i'm ditching.

"What did you want? DISH to come out and hit the remote buttons for you while you sit on your couch?"

((((You sound like the Dishnetwork person I spoke with. Same attitude, are you an employee of dish?))))

"I dont quite understand this either, they were going to replace what he has with new stuff and he doesnt think its a good enough deal?"

((((New stuff? A hopper upgrade with a $50 charge and increase in my bill.. as far as replacing my stuff, they are obligated, i pay the insurance. They did not care that I was going to cancel my service.. was treated like the average customer.))))

#64 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,807 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:22 PM

They want to charge me $50, give me a hopper no joeys or anything else. Sure, you can look at it that way, they are giving me an upgrade but I have to pay $50.

Not a bad price for an UPGRADE. The $7 per month protection plan is for the system you already have. It does not include "free" upgrades. Nor price protection on plans or equipment fees.

If you're really paying $400 per month for service why does $50 one time bother you so much?

... I've been a customer it turns out for 17.5 years.

A customer since 1995? I suppose that is possible. Somebody had to be their first customer.

And as far as leaving - we have heard that before ...
Enjoy your Roku.

After complaining for months it is time to poop or get off the pot. :)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#65 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

First off you're calling him a liar. Yes you are. Unless you've done some research and are sure of what you're saying I find it increadable that a moderator would do that. Even if you are 100% correct it should be beneath a moderators integrity to say something like  that tp a Dish sub.   It's hardley up to you or anybody else to question why $50 bothers him so much. If it wouldn't bother you that's fine but if it bothers him that's fine too.  Enjoy your Roku? Another cheap shot beneath the Moderator title.

• damondlt likes this

#66 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,807 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:25 AM

I am not calling him a liar ... that is your word, not mine. And I am posting as a regular member of this forum, not as a moderator, when I make the comments I made. (When I speak as a moderator it is about site moderation ... asking people to post within the rules of our forum ... and most of those actions are done outside of the public eye as to avoid embarrassing moderated users. Most of the time.)

If you wish to read all of "ilike2eattacos" posts you will see that he has threatened to leave DISH before and has mentioned that he would be leaving for Roku. It is in context.

$50 is a good deal. He will have to agree to stay with DISH for two more years, which may be more painful than the one time upgrade fee (considering the complaints). I have not gone back to see if he mentions how he gets to $400 per month (the average DISH customer is not paying that much per month). That level of cost usually comes from having multiple receivers with fees ... something that can be reduced by going to the Hopper (although the fees were less when he first started complaining in March ... and he could have been grandfathered in at lower rates had he made a move then).

It is his choice ... advice was given when he first posted his problem and a good deal was offered. Personally doing nothing but complaining on the Internet is not helping his problem, is it?
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#67 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:57 AM

The defective boxes should have been replaced at no cost with no increase in monthly fees.  Adding fees is how Dish is driving people away.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#68 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 626 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:29 AM

They offered you a Hopper.  Did they require you to take it?  That's like going into McDonald's and being upset that the order-taker said, "Do you want fries with that?"  If you have the protection plan and broken DVRs, they should replace those with like receivers at no cost.  An upgrade is a different story.  I would be upset if they didn't at least offer you the upgrade.

In this thread, you've been saying for months you want to cancel your service, but you haven't done it yet.  If you're dissatisfied, that's your right.  But the deadlines pass and you're still here, which seems to me like you keep hoping somebody from Dish will come along and offer you a free lunch.  Go ahead and switch to DirecTV, enjoy your 12-months of discounts, and then enjoy the higher programming and box fees.  Pray hard that you don't get one of their dog-slow DVR models (and they claim not to be able to tell the difference between models when you order.)  Dish isn't perfect.  But neither is DirecTV.  Both have their issues.  I switched to Dish last year, and am generally happy I did so.  My bill is lower, I get more channels I actually watch, more of them in HD, and I have a DVR that actually responds to button pushes every time.  Hard to argue with that, even at full price.

#69 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,083 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:57 AM

Should I be happy that they are replacing my broken DVR's, I guess so.. but isn't that would they should do since I've paid the $7 a month for 3 years now?

The point is I'm not being offered ANYTHING more than what a customer thats been w/ them for 2-4 years would get and I've been a customer it turns out for 17.5 years.

"What did you want? DISH to come out and hit the remote buttons for you while you sit on your couch?"

((((You sound like the Dishnetwork person I spoke with. Same attitude, are you an employee of dish?))))

"I dont quite understand this either, they were going to replace what he has with new stuff and he doesnt think its a good enough deal?"

((((New stuff? A hopper upgrade with a $50 charge and increase in my bill.. as far as replacing my stuff, they are obligated, i pay the insurance. They did not care that I was going to cancel my service.. was treated like the average customer.))))

:icon_band "Now it's the same old song". :icon_band ......Since March you've been complaining about DISH and threatening to cancel your service with them. What are you waiting for? An Act of Congress? You've made your point! Stop complaining and switch providers. But remember, as with any service provider the only thing you will be "entitled" to is the service you will be paying for.  

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#70 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

I just has a very pleasant experience with a CSR when I cancelled by Dish account after 15 years. No hassle or fuss. The return of the 722 is on Dish, which was a big surprise.

#71 OFFLINE   ilike2eattacos

ilike2eattacos

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

I did cancel my accounts TODAY at 913am Eastern Time this morning. I placed my first directtv order at 8:30am just before the phone call.

I was not expecting that kind of response from a moderator. You sound like an angry employee of dish or a stockholder.
I'm done reading the posts here, moving onto another forum. I wasn't looking for sympathy or lots of free stuff, initially was looking for help/advice, now it's a matter of just telling you my story.. and how they lost big $$$ from us.

Our business accounts are through (3) hotels I own and operate. Yes, we have a huge bill but it was worth paying to keep my customers happy.
Why the fuss over $50? It's my choice isn't it? Just like it's my choice to leave this morning instead of March. $50 isn't going to kill me guys.. but why offer me nothing but what I'm already entitled too.

I would like to thank those of you that encouraged time o take my busniess elswhere. [...REDACTED,,,]

By the way, the rep I spoke with on the phone to cancel with was very nice and professional. She tried to persuade me to stay when she realized the little bit i was offered this week. She said I was the customer they wanted to keep (she looked at my personal account for the last 17 years, and business account for the last 6 years.. I cut her off (3) times and told her it was too late.. I was done. I was now a directtv customer.

For those of you that replied with advice, again I thank you.

Edited by James Long, 01 July 2013 - 03:42 PM.
Violation of forum rules

#72 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

I find it comforting that Dish isn't always cutting special deals based on how much you whine and/or how many business accounts you have, who you're friends with, etc. I recently switched away from a business when I found out they were doing that.
  • Inkosaurus likes this

#73 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

+100

Anyone who says my dvrs never work right or anything along those lines, and never bother until they "reach their last straw" to even try to get anything fixed has no leg to stand on with me.  If you have a dvr that is not working right, you call in and they send you a replacement.  You dont go for months and months with one that isnt working correctly without doing anything about it, then come out and say "this device has never worked right" or "this device hasnt worked right for months", oir "they cant fix the problem"  Especially if you might have never let them know you have a problem.  Now it sounds like he brought out his false sense of entitlement to expect much more than he was offered.  DId you want your stuff replaced for free?  It sounds like they were more than willing to do that .  Did you expect a Hopper for free and not  for the $50 they offered?  Unless I missed it, the last guy never really said what he expected them to do to keep him, but that what they did offer apparently wasnt enough.

#74 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:47 PM

The defective boxes should have been replaced at no cost with no increase in monthly fees.  Adding fees is how Dish is driving people away.

Except what happened is most likely that he called in to get the broken receivers replaced and wanted an upgrade and not a model for model replacement, then got pissy that there were strings attached.

#75 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:08 AM

Yeah, in context with his other posts going back to March, I think he was annoyed that he didn't have the newest DVR rather than having an actual technical problem. I don't see any post where he asks for any help with any specific DVR issue.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...