Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Customer Service and Retention Useless....

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

I guess I'm the exception to the rule, but over the years, my free equipment upgrades have been fully free :) (other than the expected 2 yr agreements)

I wish I had a dollar for every post I've read that talked about being promised a free upgrade only to learn later that it wasn't. Some realize on install as the OP did and some figure it out when they get the bill. Seems there is some blame to be had on both ends or there wouldn't be so many stories. I know when I call for an upgrade that they didn't reach out to me for that there is some cost involved because I keep current on what the going rate is for an upgrade. When the going rate is in my comfort zone I upgrade if I'm so inclined.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Since Dish is very good with chat, I've never figured out why anyone would call to do an upgrade. Do it with chat and save the session and then you have the info you need if something goes awry.

And chat also reduces the chance that language/accent barriers cause miscommunication.

I did point about that as preferred way of communication, when we discuss other nasty outcome - your owned equipment become dish property one day.

But ppl do post same questions, falling in same traps without hesitation to read good history here :(

#43 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,288 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

What else I missed ?!

DISH expects to give customers a discount for one year and then have them pay regular price for at least one year more after that. People who keep pushing for additional discounts cause DISH to lose money. If DISH gave a new customer deal to customers every two years it would be more difficult to get to the point where customers are paying full price for their service.

DISH needs the right kind of customer ... a customer who is paying full price.
  • Grampa67 likes this

#44 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 991 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

It would be nice if the OP could give us an update on the situation after talking to DIRT. I would think something would have been resolved in the last week either stay or go.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#45 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

Some years ago I had several issues with the local Dish hub not putting items on the truck called for on the agreed to work order.

The 'real' problem, I believe, was the Dish home office was not reimbursing the local hub for some items, but from my POV as an independent HT installer, I don't care what internal problems are going on in the Dish organization, leave me TOTALLY out of your internal P'ing contest. First encounter with the problem was not fun and took much time, second occurrence and I am no longer Mr. Nice Guy. Eventually, the Dish ERT mailed me the items directly from the home office, as the local hub never put the equipment on the truck, in spite of the work order showing it.

I'm still annoyed I was pulled into some internal fooferall, very unprofessional, and a huge time wasting ordeal for my clients and myself.

Fortunately, that problem hasn't come back for several years and I've had pretty smooth sailing with Dish since.

Much to my surprise recently, I negotiated an upgrade for a client, had a confirmation number, install appointment, and had given the rep all the numbers off a preowned H20 and it was cleared for a transfer to a different clients account. Last step was to get a new card for the old box, and the 'card guy' absolutely would not issue a card for the old H20. I explained to the 'card guy' I had given the RID and access card number, and it was clean, DirecTV did not want the box back (they still don't as of last Friday) done deal, don't mess this up, etc. and still no card.

I stressed that any kind of 'internal turf war' thing at DirecTV would cause a 10 year customer to jump to the competition, still no card. The guy swore the box could not be recarded, and I, even anticipating this, had gone over this very point with the CSR when we made the deal. Still no go. Ok I say, as long as the $$$ is the same, send a different box and I'll mail back the hinky H20. No go, need $100 now to complete the deal.

I repeated the confirmation #, and said you HAVE to honor the deal, or we're walking. He said no card, and that was it.

And we called Dish.

Same day the Dish install occured, FedEx brought a H2X (I didn't open the shipping box). Have no idea what triggered that, but Dish was there, and my customer got a Hopper and 3 Joeys. Few days later, got the shipping boxes from Direct and everything went back, except the hinky H20 the still don't want.

I don't really know what's wrong, first CSR took the numbers and cleared it, don't know why the recard guy couldn't get the same info from the DirecTV computers, but he couldn't, wouldn't or didn't. For me, once we have a deal, a deals a deal. Renege at your peril.

Very unusual situation for me, I've had boxes recarded before, I've had a few run ins with Dish and DirecTV (never Cox cable though, don't know why) but it was really wild how far south that one went.

Doesn't sour me on Direct, just like the old work order problem with Dish didn't sour me on them. Heck, I call both companies every week and head off problems all the time. I'm first name basis with most all the Dish and Direct installers in this area, and like working with all of them except 'Tod'. LOL. Stuff happens and we move on.

Any one want an H20 ?

#46 OFFLINE   ilike2eattacos

ilike2eattacos

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

I have (2) VIP722 receivers in my house.
This is my current bill.

America's Top 250 - $74.99
HD/SD (2TV) DVR Receiver - $17.00
DVR Service - $7.00
Protection Plan - $7.00
DVR Integration - $4.00
HD 250 Free ($10/Mo) - $0.00

Monthly Charges = $109.99

I've never understood the $24 total in DVR fees.

I've been a DISH customer for 15 years now and im about to contact them before I unplug my service and switch to directTV.

I called them last month and offered me a hopper at a discounted price (woohoo..) but told me i would have to pay yet another DVR fee on top of the DVR fees im already paying. So I said no thank you. They didn't offer me any discounts or anything despite having NEVER been late on a payment.

I don't blame the user hear wanting to split over $100.
I'm about to do the same if they offer me zero discounts to stay with them.

#47 OFFLINE   ilike2eattacos

ilike2eattacos

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

This is my current bill.

DVR Service - $7.00
Protection Plan - $7.00
DVR Integration - $4.00

I've been a DISH customer for 15 years now and im about to contact them before I unplug my service and switch to directTV.

I called them last month and offered me a hopper at a discounted price (woohoo..) but told me i would have to pay yet another DVR fee on top of the DVR fees im already paying. So I said no thank you. They didn't offer me any discounts or anything despite having NEVER been late on a payment.

I don't blame the user hear wanting to split over $100.
I'm about to do the same if they offer me zero discounts to stay with them.

Here is what I was offered:

Rufus (ID: HZE): Yes, *****, however, there would be a one time charge of $100 for Hopper with Sling receiver.*

lol
I guess it's time to move to direct tv?
Maybe.

#48 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:23 AM

This is my current bill.

DVR Service - $7.00
Protection Plan - $7.00
DVR Integration - $4.00

Well first of all, why ARE you paying the $4 DVR Integration fee??? Unless you are running your DVR through that Google TV box, that fee should NOT be on your account.

Second, you are ONLY paying $7 in actual DVR fees; the $17 is for the monthly prog fee for your 2nd 722; this fee is charged for each additional duo (2-room) DVR you have past the 1st one.

Now regarding the DVR fee for the H/J system; they didn't clearly explain the DVR fee on it; it's actually $10/month per account, so you DVR fee would only be going up $3 (IOW, the $7 fee changes to $10, which is actually a DVR/whole house fee for the H/J system) However, if you switched both 722's to a H/J system, (they will NOT let you mix other DVR's on an account w/the H/J system) do keep in mind there are only 3 tuners in the Hopper receiver; you have 4 now between both your 722's. Depending on how use your receivers now, that could be an issue for you... ;)

#49 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

What Rich said. The $4 integration fee is for a Logitech GoogleTV box. You can cut that and only lose the GTV indexing the DVR's recordings.

Dump the protection plan. With those gone plus moving from dual 722's to a Hopper/Joey setup you'd go to 92.99 (if my math is right).

Base: AT250 $74.99
Joey: $7
WHDVR: $11

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#50 OFFLINE   ilike2eattacos

ilike2eattacos

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

Thank you dishRICH and RasputinAXP for the comments.
I now have a better understanding of the fees.

1. I need to ditch "DVR Integration - $4.00"
(I don't use the google TVbox, I don't need it.)

2. I should dump the $7 protection plan

Ok, so I guess my qestion next is what should I ask for?
With two DVRs (722) I was able to watch/record on 4 TVs. (I have 5 TVs now)

Getting rid of 1 & 2 above I now save $11 a month.

As I mentioned earlier, the only offer they made was a Hopper with Sling receiver and making me pay $100.

The retention person I chatted with was very short and seemed like they wanted to split instead of help me. A little dissappointing to say the least.

I appreciate your comments/help.

#51 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

Depends on if you want all 4 tvs hooked up. I'd be inclined to go with the 2 Hopper 2 Joey combination but cost wise that brings you to $21 in receiver fees a month. Then again that's 4 tvs in HD and six tuners to work with.

Up to you. Each H or J is 7 a month, so if you do a hopper with sling, a regular hopper and 2 joeys you're paying the same as 1 hopper and 3 joeys. Up front cost may be a little more. I'm not sure where they are with 2nd hoppers.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#52 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

Thank you dishRICH and RasputinAXP for the comments.
I now have a better understanding of the fees.

1. I need to ditch "DVR Integration - $4.00"
(I don't use the google TVbox, I don't need it.)

2. I should dump the $7 protection plan

Ok, so I guess my qestion next is what should I ask for?
With two DVRs (722) I was able to watch/record on 4 TVs. (I have 5 TVs now)

Getting rid of 1 & 2 above I now save $11 a month.

As I mentioned earlier, the only offer they made was a Hopper with Sling receiver and making me pay $100.

The retention person I chatted with was very short and seemed like they wanted to split instead of help me. A little dissappointing to say the least.

I appreciate your comments/help.

Well, right now you are paying $24 in equipment fees ($7 dvr fee, $17 for the second 722). You have 5 tvs. If you did 2 hoppers and 3 joeys, your fees would come to $38. With the $11 you're looking at saving, that would put you $3 higher than current, and running all 5 tvs. Or if you're ok with still only having 4, would be looking at $31, so saving $4. I'd suggest two hoppers and 2 joeys in that case. Just my two cents.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#53 OFFLINE   ilike2eattacos

ilike2eattacos

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

Thanks to all that replied and offered some assistance.
Dish didn't offer me much. I'm very dissapointed and think I may cancel my service this weekend.

#54 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

I have been with Dish for nearly 10 years now and have had excellent customer service in that time period. I have never paid a dime for a tech visit or any replacement equipment they have sent out to me. Only had a couple of glitches in billing or own equipment and either a single phone call or contacting a DIRT member has resolved those.

Cannot complain at all. Love them over my local cable company!

#55 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

Been with Dish since March of 2003.

Currently have a 722k with MT2 module and Sling adapter plus 2 ViP211's and one ViP211k.

Contacted DIRT about upgrade to Hopper last week,

Scheduled for 2 standard Hoppers and 3 Joeys install tomorrow afternoon - no up front cost other than subbing to DHA to prevent $95 tech visit and I'll buy 2 Hopper OTA adapters asap since Dish does not have our locals in HD.

About 3 years ago I got the 722k free as an upgrade from my 622.

My monthly bill with Dish is just under $100 - the Hopper stuff will bump it to just over $100, but my daughter who lives with us pays me for the 2 movie channels we sub or I still would be below $100/month.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#56 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

We've been with Dish since 2000, and currently are paying $57. We just get less stuff. Fewer receivers, smaller package. Sometimes you just have to decide what's really important. For instance when we look at the AT250 package vs the one we have now, we would like to have BBCA, and as I recall, one other channel. $15/month is a bit much for 2 commercial channels so we just stick with what we have now. With a DVR, we still have to give up some shows because there simply isn't time to watch everything in the AT120 package we have now. (And there are two lower priced packages too.) There are lots of options.

#57 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

I cancelled the Hopper install yesterday am after discovering that on 5/22/2013 the fees on the Hopper jump from $10 to $14 for DVR fee and from $7 to $14 for the receiver fee on 2nd+ Hopper.

My monthly bill would have gone up $17 anyway with the Hopper (had to add the Protection Pack for $7)  but with the fee hike that turns into $28/month and the Hopper system is just not worth that much more.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#58 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

After 3.5 years, bye bye dish.

I called Dish on Thursday and told them I was thinking about getting Direct TV and wanted to know if they had a similar deal.

I was offered a hopper with sling and 2 joeys for a little bit more than I am paying now. No upfront fees.... I called back about an hour later to confirm I would be getting the hopper with sling and was told I would.

Fast forward to today. The installer came and did about 30 minutes worth of work. He then went to get the Hopper and told me that the work order said it was just a hopper. He called Dish and they said the Hopper with Sling would be 200 dollars extra. I said no, they transfered me to Retention who told me they'd knock 100 dollars off the price. I still said no and they immediately canceled the work order. The poor installer didn't even get paid for the time he spent here.

I was going to sign a 2 year contract worth almost 2000 dollars and Dish wanted to argue with about 100 dollars.... What terrible customer service.

I guess I'll be calling DirecTV this week and calling Dish for the final time early this week.

Edit --

To clarify, I did not speak with the DIRT team. I got them confused. I spoke with Customer Retention.

Good thing I didn't follow through my sling loaded hopper. They were going to offer it to me for $50 dollar upgrade, dish used to have good customer service but after the 15 yrs of being with them they are horrible and rising their prices.

Edited by comizzou573, 20 April 2013 - 10:24 PM.

#59 OFFLINE   ilike2eattacos

ilike2eattacos

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

I just called a few minutes to ask what they had to offer for my two crappy broke down dvrs. THey work 50% of the time, and yes I pay for the $7 insurance as mentioned above.. they offered to replace them, and offered me a hopper to replace one of them.

I am now 48hrs awy from cancelling my service after 15+ years.

Their customer service/retention folks are not very good unlikes past years.

Last 48 hrs as a dish customer unless i get a miracle call back.. and that won't hapepn. What they don't know is i'm also going to cancel (2) business accounts.

In total i was paying dish $400 a month. oh well

#60 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

Seems like the best thing for you AND Dish is to just move on. Dish it seems has come to that conclusion.

spam firewall