Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

External HDD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mastrauckas

mastrauckas

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

I store a bunch of games on my computer and have to burn them to Blu-Ray disk to watch them, which can be annoying.

I was wondering if you have videos in m2ts or MPEG-4 on a external HDD and hook it to a Direct Tv HD-DVR reciever, can I watch those videos?

Or can you only use the external HDD for extended space?

Thanks,
Michael

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

I store a bunch of games on my computer and have to burn them to Blu-Ray disk to watch them, which can be annoying.

I was wondering if you have videos in m2ts or MPEG-4 on a external HDD and hook it to a Direct Tv HD-DVR reciever, can I watch those videos?

Thanks,
Michael

It can only be used for storage of recordings. And using the phrase of extended space is a bit of a misnomer. The DVR will use either the internal or external drive, but not both at the same time. If you want to play video from your computer in your TV via your DirecTV receiver, you need to do it via MediaShare or use an older version of TVersity.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   mastrauckas

mastrauckas

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

It can only be used for storage of recordings. And using the phrase of extended space is a bit of a misnomer. The DVR will use either the internal or external drive, but not both at the same time. If you want to play video from your computer in your TV via your DirecTV receiver, you need to do it via MediaShare or use an older version of TVersity.

- Merg

Doesn't MediaShare have limitations? All the videos are in HD and 3 or 4 hours in length. Can I stream these from my computer to my receiver using MediaShare?

#4 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

Thanks,
Michael

I believe if you connect that drive to the receiver, it will re-format the drive and you will loose your saved videos.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,709 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

I believe if you connect that drive to the receiver, it will re-format the drive and you will loose your saved videos.

You are correct. Any drive you attach to an HR that is not already formatted for use on an HR will be re-partitioned and formatted on boot.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   mastrauckas

mastrauckas

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

You are correct. Any drive you attach to an HR that is not already formatted for use on an HR will be re-partitioned and formatted on boot.

Ok, thanks. I guess I'll have to find another way of doing it.

#7 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Thanks,
Michael

no u cannot use the external HDD to extend space.
it will replace the DVR's internal HDD

spam firewall