Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive Second Look: HR44-500 Genie

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,050 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

So am I to understand the only difference between the HR44-200, HR44-500 and HR44-700 is the manufacturer?

Any reason why I would want one over the other, or are they pretty much equal in terms of build-quality?

They are little different in box's design, cooling, PCB, components and in FW written by different companies.
So, that's why you could see complains for some models about overheating or incompatibility of well working external drives' enclosures.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,904 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

Nice, thanks for the second look.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#23 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,067 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

They are little different in box's design, cooling, PCB, components and in FW written by different companies.
So, that's why you could see complains for some models about overheating or incompatibility of well working external drives' enclosures.

Incorrect. The firmware is all written by DirecTV.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#24 OFFLINE   hancox

hancox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

"Stupid" may not be the right word; but it is a problem for many. YCbCr is the color format used in most video applications (and output from pretty much all DVR's except the 24-500 which outputs RGB). RGB is primarily a computer scheme; although most TV's convert to and process in RGB. My Panasonic vt25 does not do a good job with input RGB and it definitely affects the colors shown on the set (i.e., if my set is calibrated for YCbCr input it is no longer properly calibrated with a signal from the 24-500). For that reason, and several others, I use a video processor to convert the 24-500's RGB to YCbCr before inputting to the Panasonic. Bottom line: I would prefer a DVR that outputs YCbCr like all the others and am nervous about the "500".

Sorry - it caused a hair-pulling issue for me with a new receiver. Thought it the receiver for a bit, until I got guidance to try different HDMI inputs on the receiver. Lo and behold, it worked.

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,050 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

Incorrect. The firmware is all written by DirecTV.

Wrong.
Someone need to look into code and read names; at least to know build engineer's name and time stamp [time zone].

#26 OFFLINE   discoliveson

discoliveson

• Registered
  • 37 posts
  • LocationHyde Park,MA.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:29 AM

hello room, I have a question about the new hr44. I now have 2 hr24-500's and want to know if the hr44 will work with them. since I like the hr24-500's and have had no problems with them for years. I want to keep both. I have whole home and a swm-8. I believe I would have to step up to swm-16? just want to make sure if I decide to get a hr44 it will work with my hr24-500 units. thanks for your help

#27 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

You would need to upgrade to SWM-16 but then everything will work fine. I have a similar setup.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#28 OFFLINE   discoliveson

discoliveson

• Registered
  • 37 posts
  • LocationHyde Park,MA.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

thank you stuart.

#29 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

Stuart, how long do you think it will be until the HR34 is retired and only HR44s are installed?
When news breaks...we fix it.

#30 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

Only HR44s? Quite a long time. If it goes the way it has in the past, new customers will start getting only HR44s in about 12-18 months. Existing customers should definitely plan on looking to a third party retailer if they want a specific model.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#31 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

If an HR44 is "purchased" from a third party does DirecTV normally help with the purchase price via credits?
When news breaks...we fix it.

#32 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,687 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

If an HR44 is "purchased" from a third party does DirecTV normally help with the purchase price via credits?

It's like anything else, it all depends on your account status, past credits, etc (and sometimes the CSR you get). There is no normal in this respect.

#33 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

You just never know when to jump in with this company. I signed up for a new agreement last year so i could get the HR-34, a box that now appears to be slow and buggy compared to these HR-44s, and now i am stuck with it when i should have waited for the HR-44...which im sure will turn out to be a piece of crap when the HR-54 comes out in 3 months......

#34 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

Only HR44s? Quite a long time. If it goes the way it has in the past, new customers will start getting only HR44s in about 12-18 months. Existing customers should definitely plan on looking to a third party retailer if they want a specific model.

yep, exisiting customers gst screwed like usual. Although I will admit, directv is better about it than cable companies, HOWEVER when I had time warner cable and they got a new model cable box in that i wanted, all i had to do is take the old one to the local office and they would be more than happy to swap it out for one of the new ones if they had them at the time. this is NOT the case with directv. it almost takes an act of congress to get a new box from them.

#35 OFFLINE   bananfish

bananfish

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

I'm a bit confused by the nomenclature - does "Second Look" in this case mean the second look at any HR44 (with the first look being the "First Look" at the HR44-700) or a second look specifically at the HR44-500?

Also, will you be able to buy an HR44 from Solid Signal (or another third party retailer) during the "select market" time period, or will you have to wait until the national rollout?

#36 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,067 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

I'm a bit confused by the nomenclature - does "Second Look" in this case mean the second look at any HR44 (with the first look being the "First Look" at the HR44-700) or a second look specifically at the HR44-500?

Also, will you be able to buy an HR44 from Solid Signal (or another third party retailer) during the "select market" time period, or will you have to wait until the national rollout?

A "Second Look" is what you get when a new manufacturer releases a model already revealed in a "First Look". In this case the "First Look" announced the HR44, specifically the 700 (Pace) model, and now the "Second Look" is announcing that there is a 500 (Humax) version.

As for getting a leased model from Solid Signal only they know for sure. Most likely they won't have them until national rollout but they may have them before. Best thing to do is check solidsignal.com.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#37 OFFLINE   bananfish

bananfish

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Thanks, RunnerFL.

I will be checking the Solid Signal site religiously - my bedroom receiver crapped out a month or two ago and I am without a receiver there until the HR44 is released for my area (SF peninsula). I'm a speed addict when it comes to receivers so the HR34 just won't do.

#38 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,451 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

Superb! :)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#39 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,067 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

Thanks, RunnerFL.

I will be checking the Solid Signal site religiously - my bedroom receiver crapped out a month or two ago and I am without a receiver there until the HR44 is released for my area (SF peninsula). I'm a speed addict when it comes to receivers so the HR34 just won't do.

It's not like the HR34 is slow, it's just that the HR44 is super fast.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#40 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

It's not like the HR34 is slow, it's just that the HR44 is super fast.

oh well i feel SO much better about my less than a year old HR34 then. basically the HR34 is just a bad design by today's standards and it appears i am stuck with it....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...