Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive Second Look: HR44-500 Genie

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

We're getting D* installed this coming Sunday. We're five miles out of Des Moines. Anybody else get the HR44 in this area? I thought I saw the region on the list for the HR44s.

Well what did ya get?

Directv 'Pioneer Member' since 1994

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   DesertWind53

DesertWind53

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

Just upgraded to Genie today.. received the HR44-500, and C41-700 clients.  Everything is working perfectly, REALLY appreciated only having to set up favorite channels one time, then being able to copy that to the other receivers.

#63 OFFLINE   Stevies3

Stevies3

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

How well does Slingbox work off a client?  As for RVU,  what are the plus & minuses of RVU vs client?

-------------------------

DirecTV since 1996

1 x HR44
1 x H24
2 x HR24

3 x RVU
SWM16

AU9-SL3

#64 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

How well does Slingbox work off a client?  As for RVU,  what are the plus & minuses of RVU vs client?

The clients are RVU.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#65 OFFLINE   Stevies3

Stevies3

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

How does an RVU unit connect to the Gennie? Is it via Coax ,Ethernet or both?

DirecTV since 1996

1 x HR44
1 x H24
2 x HR24

3 x RVU
SWM16

AU9-SL3

#66 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

How does an RVU unit connect to the Gennie? Is it via Coax ,Ethernet or both?

It depends on the client.  if it is an actual "Genie Client" then it uses coax via the DECA network.  If it is a Samsung or Sony TV then it uses Ethernet and your local network.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#67 OFFLINE   Stevies3

Stevies3

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

I'm a bit confused with how an RVU client (In my case Samsung) hooks up to my Home theater system (Denon) without a box?  

DirecTV since 1996

1 x HR44
1 x H24
2 x HR24

3 x RVU
SWM16

AU9-SL3

#68 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

I'm a bit confused with how an RVU client (In my case Samsung) hooks up to my Home theater system (Denon) without a box?  

Use the audio out from the TV and hook it up to an input on your Denon.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#69 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

Used my protection plan free upgrade, and got my install yesterday.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I got an HR44-500, and two C41-700 Genie Clients.  I kept one of my two HR23-700's, and upgraded to whole-home DVR.  The two C41-700's replaced the archaic H-20 boxes that I had before the new install.  The installer joked that I now have the capability of recording 7 shows at one time, and I had nothing to worry about when it came to possible scheduling conflicts.  :lol:

My D* installer said that I was the first HR44 that he had installed in the Tri-Cities area here in Tennessee.  Apparently, D* had to use up all of the remaining HR34's in their local inventory before they could start installing the HR44's.  If I would have installed the previous business day (Sat. I believe), I would have gotten an HR34.  For once, I had good luck. :)

Much speedier compared to my HR23-700.  Much smaller than the older HD DVRs.  Love that the new remotes are RF, and that you can still use an IF remote to controll the DVR and clients if you prefer.  And, the client boxes are incredibly small.  My wife couldn't believe how small the client boxes were when she looked at them last night.  The system works very well thus far, and I feel very fortunate to get one of the HR44-500's.

Edited by George_T, 21 May 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#70 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

Question for you guys.   I have  been with D* over 10 years and the original setup had two coax  coming to the old HR20.  Now, of  course, ony one of those are in use.  Is  it possible to stack my HR24 with one of the new HR44's?  I also have three other HR2X's.  Is there a maximum number of tuners you can have?  My question about stacking is b/c I have a both a TV and projector in this room and would probably use the HR24 for the projector (usually only use on football weekends) as long as all the recordings are on my Whole Home platform.  Right now, both TV and projector output the same signal.  Hopefully, this makes sense.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

#71 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

Question for you guys. I have been with D* over 10 years and the original setup had two coax coming to the old HR20. Now, of course, ony one of those are in use. Is it possible to stack my HR24 with one of the new HR44's? I also have three other HR2X's. Is there a maximum number of tuners you can have? My question about stacking is b/c I have a both a TV and projector in this room and would probably use the HR24 for the projector (usually only use on football weekends) as long as all the recordings are on my Whole Home platform. Right now, both TV and projector output the same signal. Hopefully, this makes sense. Thanks in advance for your advice.

It just depends on your SWiM setup, whether you have 8 or 16 tuners. As long as you have or upgrade to a SWiM-16 you'll be fine and can use a splitter(s) to distribute the signal. You'll have 5 total lines to the 4 HR2x's and the Genie, using 13 tuners, assuming that you have no other receivers.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

DirecTV HD Channel Listing - 2011 DBSTalk HD Poll - 2010 DBSTalk HD Poll - Satellite & National HD Alerts

#72 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

It just depends on your SWiM setup, whether you have 8 or 16 tuners. As long as you have or upgrade to a SWiM-16 you'll be fine and can use a splitter(s) to distribute the signal. You'll have 5 total lines to the 4 HR2x's and the Genie, using 13 tuners, assuming that you have no other receivers.

Thanks Sixto.  I have a SWiM-16 already, and one other receiver.  I appreciate the reply.

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

#73 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

What is your choice for clients if you don't want wireless? Is wireless needed to sync the clients for WHole Home Service?

#74 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

What is your choice for clients if you don't want wireless? Is wireless needed to sync the clients for WHole Home Service?

You don't have to have wireless.  The Genie and client will connect over the coax.  There is a new C41W-100 wireless client but that has it's own Wireless Video Bridge so you don't need Wi-Fi in your house for that either.

http://www.dbstalk.c...s-video-bridge/

Mike

µß
If you don't want to do sub-models at least do the new equipment...I'm just sayin'
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#75 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

Is that using coax already in the house, 3 separate coax cables already in the wall for DTV?

What I am also wondering about is how Genie and minis would be connected for all to have Internet access? I have a router and wireless capability, but I prefer hard-wired if possible. The thing is, if it could be done, hard wired, I suspect that would have a negative effect on my Internet speed used for computer. If the Genie and minis were connected wirelessly with no negative effect on my computer, then that may be preferred. My main concern there is affecting Internet speed on my computer, so how would I avoid that, hard wired or wirelessly?

#76 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

Is that using coax already in the house, 3 separate coax cables already in the wall for DTV?

I’m not sure I understand the question but, IIUC, you’ll have one coax going to the Genie and one to each additional client/receiver that you have.

What I am also wondering about is how Genie and minis would be connected for all to have Internet access? I have a router and wireless capability, but I prefer hard-wired if possible. The thing is, if it could be done, hard wired, I suspect that would have a negative effect on my Internet speed used for computer. If the Genie and minis were connected wirelessly with no negative effect on my computer, then that may be preferred. My main concern there is affecting Internet speed on my computer, so how would I avoid that, hard wired or wirelessly?

Both the HR34 & HR44 can be connected to your network with an Ethernet cable. Even though the HR44s have Wi-Fi built in they can still be wired to the network if that's your preference.

The Genie feeds the client so it doesn't get its own connection. In your case, you plug in an Ethernet cable into the Genie and you're good to go for things like On Demand to both the Genie and client. :)

I have five DVRs, a Genie mini, three laptops, several phones, and a few other devices connected to my network and I have no speed issues. I've had both wired and wireless connections for my DIRECTV stuff and I saw no difference in network performance. We use On Demand often and almost always use the “Watch Now” feature. After it starts playing the movie/episode I can’t say I’ve had any hit to network performance and the download plays as if it were already on the hard drive.

However, this is just my everyday observation. There are others here who have tested their networks under various loadings who could probably provide more quantifiable data.

I don’t think anyone can give you a definitive answer…even if we knew your setup. It shouldn’t make a difference whether it’s wired or wireless but you’ll probably have to test it out to see what works best for your particular network configuration.

Mike

µß
If you don't want to do sub-models at least do the new equipment...I'm just sayin'
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#77 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,011 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

Wired or wireless clients shouldn't affect your Internet any more or less than the other.

You only need one point of connection for the entire system to the Internet and that can be wired or wireless. And basically they all have to be connected to the same coax via splitters to see each other and the Internet.

What do you have now as a system?

#78 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

Wired or wireless clients shouldn't affect your Internet any more or less than the other.

You only need one point of connection for the entire system to the Internet and that can be wired or wireless. And basically they all have to be connected to the same coax via splitters to see each other and the Internet.

What do you have now as a system?

I now have cable for everything, and will be making the switch to DTV. Since I had DTV before, the SWiM dish is still on the roof, and it has one coax coming off it. I think HR24 was my previous DVR.

• inkahauts likes this

#79 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,011 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

I now have cable for everything, and will be making the switch to DTV. Since I had DTV before, the SWiM dish is still on the roof, and it has one coax coming off it. I think HR24 was my previous DVR.

It will all connect the same way your old system did with the cabling in terms of coax with the genie taking the place of the hr24. Your mins will hook in to the coax at other locations assuming they all have coax run to them now. And if you have Ethernet next to the hr44 they can just plug it in. If not they can go wireless or connected a bbdeca via coax near your router. It's very versital and can be designed based on your specific setup on how to connect to the Internet.
  • Cavicchi likes this

#80 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

It will all connect the same way your old system did with the cabling in terms of coax with the genie taking the place of the hr24. Your mins will hook in to the coax at other locations assuming they all have coax run to them now. And if you have Ethernet next to the hr44 they can just plug it in. If not they can go wireless or connected a bbdeca via coax near your router. It's very versital and can be designed based on your specific setup on how to connect to the Internet.

Yes, there are coax cables for the minis and HR44 in place now. I have Ethernet near where the HR44 would be. All I need is the HR44. I guess the C31 would be fine if they don't bring a C41?

I called a local installer and was told he would have the HR44 before he gets the C41, if that makes any sense. I thought both would be available at the same time.

spam firewall