Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

So is direct tv better than dish?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kirko

kirko

• Banned User
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

I have dish right now and I am currently wondering if Direct tv is better, I have no problem switching if it is, but I need more info on both companies products...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Personally Directv all the way with me, I have no problem with Dish, I have installed both, and have had both, but it is all gonna depend on what your needs are. Know what you want out of your system and do a little research and see what best suits your needs

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,940 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

You'll be told different things on both sides of the forum.

Here's my opinion:

Des one have more channels you want,many have them in HD? I don't care about sheer numbers, one is better because they have 432 in HD and the other only has 402 (numbers made up). I only look at channels I want, or might have an interest in. Also keep in mind DirecTV will be launching several more channels in HD in the next week or two.

Do you watch a lot more network Primetime coverage, or want more flexibility? The Genie is more flexible, 5 discrete tuners and can work with a lot of other directv equipment. The hopper has 3 tuners, and you can have more than one hopper, and it uses one tuner to record all the networks. I like one box where I can record 5 things whenever and on whatever channel I want.

I'm glad I went with directv myself.

Edited by dpeters11, 26 January 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

dpeters11 is absolutely correct. Aside equipment differences and costs, the only thing that matters to me is programming. Which provider has the channels I want to watch? Since I'm a Yankee fan, Directv is my only choice.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,940 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Of course if you have specific questions on DirecTV features, hardware etc. we'll be happy to help.

#6 OFFLINE   inhd40

inhd40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I have dish right now and I am currently wondering if Direct tv is better, I have no problem switching if it is, but I need more info on both companies products...

I just switched from Dish, so I'll give you my take on it. The programming choices and picture quality is much better on Directv. The hardware is better with Dish. So I guess it boils down to if you are happy with the channels you are getting and the picture quality. The DVR is a lot more user friendly with Dish. Maybe the HR44 will be better and that may be available soon. Might be better to hold off a few months and see if you can get that box when you sign up if you decide to switch.

#7 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

It's not a cut and dry answer. Does one happen to carry a channel that the other doesn't that you absolutely HAVE to have? Does one carry all the channels you need/want at a lower price? If you're big into sports, and willing to pay for them, you'd probably be happier with Directv. Have you played with Directv's GUI? If so, and it's something you just cannot STAND, you'll probably be miserable with Directv. Same with Dish-how do you feel about their GUI? You don't say where you're located, but do they both offer your locals, and in HD? Maybe one provider does, and the other doesn't.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,940 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

I just switched from Dish, so I'll give you my take on it. The programming choices and picture quality is much better on Directv. The hardware is better with Dish. So I guess it boils down to if you are happy with the channels you are getting and the picture quality. The DVR is a lot more user friendly with Dish. Maybe the HR44 will be better and that may be available soon. Might be better to hold off a few months and see if you can get that box when you sign up if you decide to switch.

Some of that is subjective though. I last used a Dish DVR a few years ago, but the GUI to me was confusing,

I also know someone in my area with Dish, he has 2 dishes to get normal programming, and lost locals for at least several days when Dish temporarily lost a satellite. DirecTV had an issue with DirecTV-10 and no one noticed when they took it offline, everything was moved to a different satellite that everyone could see.

#9 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Yes. Dish Network is a distant second place for a reason.
DTV = Digital Television

#10 OFFLINE   inhd40

inhd40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Some of that is subjective though. I last used a Dish DVR a few years ago, but the GUI to me was confusing,

I also know someone in my area with Dish, he has 2 dishes to get normal programming, and lost locals for at least several days when Dish temporarily lost a satellite. DirecTV had an issue with DirecTV-10 and no one noticed when they took it offline, everything was moved to a different satellite that everyone could see.

You are correct about it being subjective. The GUI is the other way around for me right now, but I think I will get used to it. I had Directv for a long time prior to the last 2.5 years and it is much different now. Other than the number of tuners I still like the Dish setup better on the DVR, you could skip 30 seconds at a time and go past the commercial pretty quickly. It also seemed much faster responding to commands. I'm sure not trying to talk anyone out of switching, but just trying to give an honest assessment.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,940 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

Do a keyword search for 30skip. That changes the 30 Slip feature to skip on DirecTV DVRs. It does not work on locally inserted commercials (FF and slip do), but will on the rest. It's an undocumented feature.

#12 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

you can still skip ahead 30sec with directv also.

op as you can see it is all on your wants and needs, programming, ect, personal preferences.
HD, sports, Picture quality, 5 tuners to record what you want, Directv wins all these hands down. Like mentioned do some homework, post some of your wants, needs, and questions and we will do our best to answer your questions and help you make your most informed decisions you can so you can be happy with your choice you have made.

#13 OFFLINE   inhd40

inhd40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Do a keyword search for 30skip. That changes the 30 Slip feature to skip on DirecTV DVRs. It does not work on locally inserted commercials (FF and slip do), but will on the rest. It's an undocumented feature.

Thanks!:) I had no idea.

#14 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 713 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Direct TV is better at everything from tech of equipment to its wonderful GUI. Pretty envious of the Dish receivers with certain proprietary tech built in but I could easily purchase said tech if I really wanted it.

#15 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

I just switched to Dish. You do have to determine which has the better channel lineup for you. I'm using one of the "duo" DVRs to drive 2 TVs. Not as good as a separate receiver with WHDVR, but good enough for our situation and drives the 2nd TV without the added receiver and WH charge. The Dish hardware/software combination is clearly superior overall, but there are some individual things that Direct does better. I like the Direct remote and GUI better, but after many years I was kind of used to them. The Dish GUI gets a little easier every day. If OTA reception is important, DISH IMO totally stomps Direct. I'm in a rural area with weak stations and repeaters from the big city. The Dish OTA tuner picks up weak stations the AM21 couldn't see, and the AM21 can't tune in the repeaters unless it's hooked to an HR34. And I get guide data for the repeater channels, which I was not expecting at all. I see no difference in picture quality. After 3 weeks I'm not regretting the switch. If OTA isn't important, you don't mind paying a higher rate for your hardware setup (may or may not apply, depends on configuration), and waiting for 2 to 15 seconds when you push a remote button, I'd rate Direct higher because of the somewhat more friendly GUI.

#16 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

There isn't a clear winner when it comes to Directv and Dish. One will have something the other doesn't and vice versa. Directv has more sports channels plus Sunday Ticket. I think Dish has more HD channels when it comes to non-sports channels but don't quote me on that one. Dish has the Hopper, which has auto commercial skip and soon the slingbox capability. Directv has Genie, which has the 5 tuners and the suggestion functionality. I've read the HD quality is slightly better with Directv but Dish has significantly better SD.

Honestly you just need to check and see if Directv has something you don't have that makes it worth your while. For me it was the free Sunday Day Ticket.

#17 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,239 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

Do a keyword search for 30skip.... It does not work on locally inserted commercials (FF and slip do),

It does on mine.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,940 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

I didn't think that was fixed.

#19 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

I see DirecTV and Dish as two sides of nearly the same coin for the most part. I've had both and like both of them for different reasons and would have both at the same time if there was a good way to make that work from a financial sense.

Coming from Dish you'll immediately notice the slower operation of the Direct equipment. How much of an issue that will be will depend on you and your tolerance for hesitation in doing the action your button push should have started. Overall, while I noticed it, most of the time it was within my tolerance for operation.

You'll also notice that Direct does things different from Dish. Some better, some worse, some nearly the same. One big difference is that unlike Dish, Direct does not offer a way to use an external hard drive as an archiving device tied to you account. Any hard drive, internal or external, with Direct is the only hard drive that works on that receiver at any given time. IOW, if your receiver dies and needs replaced, whatever was on the internal or external drive is lost.

But that all has to do with operating the gear, and if you're like me, I spend more time watching the shows than twiddling with the receiver.

From a watch the TV perspective, Dish's new Hopper and the HR series from Direct have great HD with no difference in the perceived quality of either. Dish's SD is much better on the Hopper than on any Direct HR series by quite a wide margin.

Then it is down to which channels are there in HD (assuming HD is important to you) that you want to watch. You shouldn't care at all about who has most if the 'most' isn't what you want to watch. Sports is one area that Direct shines in if that is important. For me as a boxing and golf fan, both services are identical with their offerings.

For movies, Direct has more of the big 4 premiums in HD, but lacks Epix for the blockbuster movies.

I recently switched from Direct to Dish because of the movie channels, I wanted Epix!

As with any new customer, if you switch to one or the other, you'll save considerable money in subscription fees. But after the 2 years are up, the difference in cost is not great and one can be cheaper than the other depending more on subscription levels than equipment cost differences.

For me with the top subscription packages, the difference after the rebates run out is less than $5 in Dish's favor.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#20 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

D* is your only real choice if you're a sports fan.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...