Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

So is direct tv better than dish?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Considering that they will look better with DirecTV, it matters.

LOL!

these days with the Hopper that isn't true at all. Before I unplugged the D* equipment, I switched back and forth between the Hopper and the HR24 via the same AVR to the same 73" DLP and cannot see any difference at all. And there are many, many others reporting the very same thing.

Guess you'll need a new line of BS to wave your pom-poms about! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey, Genie
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,974 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Nice discussion...as long as it stays civil and constructive.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#28 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Right, but if you're out of market for your favorite baseball or football team, DirecTV is the best option. Or if a Yankee's fan, even in NYC.

No disagreement there. When I switched to D* a couple years ago it was because my son wanted NFLST and was willing to pay for it to watch his sainted San Diego Chargers! :)

Now that he has indicated he wasn't willing to pay for that again, I switched back and told him that if he decides again to get NFLST, he can get it on his PS3 (thanks to some poster a bit back telling me about that).

For me, football is football. I can watch it or not and don't actually care which team is playing who. And baseball to me is utterly boring, the only thing more boring than watching it on TV is watching it live! :lol:

Lloyd

#29 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

So you have done a side by side comparison then?

Yes.

Tell us about it, how you had the inputs on the display calibrated so they would be exactly the same, or had both displays calibrated to be exactly the same.

Two HDMI inputs on a Pioneer KRP-600M. Both calibrated using a colorimeter profiled against a spectrophotometer.

What about the cabling?

HDMI.

Was the ambient light taken into consideration?

Test was conducted in a fully light controlled environment.

Was it a blind a/b test?

Yes. With six people taking part.
DTV = Digital Television

#30 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

Nice discussion...as long as it stays civil and constructive.

Mike

Just hoping the OP comes back, maybe with some specific questions :)

#31 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Yes.

Two HDMI inputs on a Pioneer KRP-600M. Both calibrated using a colorimeter profiled against a spectrophotometer.

HDMI.

Test was conducted in a fully light controlled environment.

Yes. With six people taking part.

When, where, with whom, what Directv and Dish equipment?

#32 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Depends on the sport doesn't it?

I'm a boxing and golf fan, neither service is markedly better than the other covering those sports.

For the other sports, I can see all I want of them with channels available in HD on both services just fine.

That's not true when it comes to golf. No provider even comes close to the coverage that DirecTV provides for golf on every major tournament.

http://www.directv.com/sports/golf

#33 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

That's not true when it comes to golf. No provider has better coverage of golf than DirecTV. What other provider has the Masters Experience?

None that I know of. I used that once and it was OK but nothing that interested me. I just watched the live coverage of the rounds and that was as much as I wanted to watch.

Kind of like all the interviews and crap that they do with the boxers and golfers. Yeah, it is there but I don't care nor do I watch them. That's why I have this skip button! :)

Same for movies, I don't care about the actors, how they developed the movie, the director's opinions and so forth. Never watch those things. I just care about is the movie good, did the actors do a good job and did the movie entertain me? Other trivia has no value to me.

Lloyd

#34 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

That may be true L2P as far as the additonal coverage not intresting you, but there's alot of others it does. My mother goes crazy over the expanded court coverage for the 4 Tennis Majors.

#35 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

And I have no problem with those that do love the 'extra' coverage and back stories. That's why we have the services we have from different vendors. I like being able to switch around when I think one or the other has what I want more than what I'm getting. In my case, I wanted Epix, D* doesn't have it and it doesn't look as if they are interested in getting it.

So I took my 3 HR24s, Premier, HDExtra and turned them all in to get 2 Hoppers, AEP, BB@Home and got all that I wanted and the sweetener was a money saved too. Was the swap all good? No. I lost some things that I liked with D*, but I got more of what I want with E*.

Others have a different experience.

Lloyd

#36 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,404 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

I just switched from Dish, so I'll give you my take on it. The programming choices and picture quality is much better on Directv. The hardware is better with Dish. So I guess it boils down to if you are happy with the channels you are getting and the picture quality. The DVR is a lot more user friendly with Dish. Maybe the HR44 will be better and that may be available soon. Might be better to hold off a few months and see if you can get that box when you sign up if you decide to switch.

I'll take a HR34 over a Hopper any day. I want 5 tuners to use at my discretion and not some weird distorted way Dish dictates. To each their own.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-100 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR44-500 Owned. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#37 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

I personally like DirecTV because the last time I checked the HD picture quality was a touch better, the way DVRs share recordings (MRV) and Sunday ticket.

But.. And it is a BIG BUT... DirecTV hardware is difficult to get used to. I've been trying for 6 years and even with the HR24s (fasted they have to date) it can be just plain frustrating at times how slow they are to respond. If you are unlucky enough to get something other than HR24s it is just too painful to use... In my opinion of course!

I'd recommend checking out the hardware speeds first to make sure you can slow down to DirecTV speed before making the jump. If you decide to jump don’t allow them to install anything but HR24s and don’t believe the CSR when he/she tells you you’ll be getting HR24s – they can’t specify the model when they put in the order.

If you are going with ‘Genie’ read through the posts here to see if you can put up with the troubles first – you’re going to be stuck with an HR34 for quite a while. It has been out for a year and apparently, according the constant posts here, still has some pretty serious troubles and is slower than an HR24…

Good luck!

#38 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,974 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

I'll say this once more. Keep it civil. DO NOT make it personal.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#39 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

^^^

???

I haven't noticed anything uncivil after your earlier warning.

Lloyd

#40 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

I don't believe that at all.

I've been coming here for many years, and yes it is more pro-DirecTV than other sites, there have always been good conversations that are not pro-DirecTV in tone.

But I suppose that strongly worded comments of a negative nature could be seen as bashing.

Lloyd

#41 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Mike Greer - my HR20-700 is just as fast as my HR24-500. No, they're not perfect (often ignore remote button presses), but that's not a big deal to me.

I had 4 days with a E* box last year, and couldn't make heads or tails out of it.

I'm not saying the E* wasn't good - it's just that I was USED to the D* box. I'm guessing that's your observation in reverse? Thanks.

#42 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Mike Greer - my HR20-700 is just as fast as my HR24-500. No, they're not perfect (often ignore remote button presses), but that's not a big deal to me.

I had 4 days with a E* box last year, and couldn't make heads or tails out of it.

I'm not saying the E* wasn't good - it's just that I was USED to the D* box. I'm guessing that's your observation in reverse? Thanks.

Mr. Goose, I think maybe you mean that both your HR20-700 and your HR24-500 are both ‘fast enough’ for you right? It’s not physically possible for the HR20-700 to be as fast as the HR24-500 because the processor etc in the HR24-500 is physically faster than the HR20-500. I had an HR20-200 for a few days and it was certainly faster than my HR22s but still worked at a snail’s pace compared to Dish Network receivers.

It is the missing button presses and delayed button presses that used to drive me nuts when I had HR22s. Most of that is gone with my HR24-500 but navigating around the HR24 and using the guide can often be a painful thing because it is just not as fast and responsive as it should be.

I’m ok with the menu layout and the day to day use of either Dish or DirecTV – that’s not too big of a deal to me but if I had to pick one it would be DirecTV’s layout. Could be because I’m used to DirecTV’s way of doing things.

All of this is not to say that Kirko wouldn’t be fine with the speed. I’m just suggesting that he check it before he goes all-in. Better to know ahead of time than 10 minutes after the installer leaves….

#43 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Mr. Goose, I think maybe you mean that both your HR20-700 and your HR24-500 are both ‘fast enough’ for you right? It’s not physically possible for the HR20-700 to be as fast as the HR24-500 because the processor etc in the HR24-500 is physically faster than the HR20-500. I had an HR20-200 for a few days and it was certainly faster than my HR22s but still worked at a snail’s pace compared to Dish Network receivers.

It is the missing button presses and delayed button presses that used to drive me nuts when I had HR22s. Most of that is gone with my HR24-500 but navigating around the HR24 and using the guide can often be a painful thing because it is just not as fast and responsive as it should be.

I’m ok with the menu layout and the day to day use of either Dish or DirecTV – that’s not too big of a deal to me but if I had to pick one it would be DirecTV’s layout. Could be because I’m used to DirecTV’s way of doing things.

All of this is not to say that Kirko wouldn’t be fine with the speed. I’m just suggesting that he check it before he goes all-in. Better to know ahead of time than 10 minutes after the installer leaves….

I have an HR20-700 and an HR24-500. There may be a slight difference in their response times, but not much.

#44 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Depends on the sport doesn't it?

I'm a boxing and golf fan, neither service is markedly better than the other covering those sports.

For the other sports, I can see all I want of them with channels available in HD on both services just fine.

Does Dish offer like 7 channels of coverage for the golf majors? Do they offer the masters coverage in 3D? I'm a pretty big golf fan, and imo Directv destroys Dish's coverage of golf. Cant really comment on boxing, but it would seem that PPV events and showtime cover most major boxing events as well, but both probably can cover that.

#45 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

I'm a fan of golf in the sense I watch the various tournaments. I did check the Masters extra coverage one year and just wasn't enamored of it. Yeah it was great for those that are much more into watching golf, I'm just not one of them. So it isn't a benefit to me.

With boxing it just isn't the major fights that count for a fan. I watch amateur boxing, military boxing, much lesser pro fights and of course, the major fights. I get them on HBO, Showtime, Epix, ESPN2, CBS Sports, NBC Sports, Fuel and the Pentagon channel. So much boxing, so little time... :)

Both Direct and Dish do a good job with boxing with Direct missing the Pentagon channel but having other channels for some lesser and classic fights like Root Sports and MSG.

Lloyd

#46 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

I was just going by what you said about being a golf fan. No one covers golf better than Directv.

#47 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

I have an HR20-700 and an HR24-500. There may be a slight difference in their response times, but not much.

Same here, so close that I don't notice any difference when I'm using them, maybe if I used a stopwatch it would be more noticeable.

#48 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

I wouldn't argue the point much. Mostly to point out that for the majority of us that like some sports, both cover them well enough.

For those that are really into the sport and like all those extras, then D* does do a better job for most sports, outside of boxing. In boxing, they are nearly identical in offerings as I pointed out.

For me, even with boxing, I don't care about all the 'extras' that abound. I want to watch 2 fighters in the ring. I generally skip through most everything except the actual fight.

Lloyd

#49 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,859 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

I wouldn't argue the point much. Mostly to point out that for the majority of us that like some sports, both cover them well enough.

You've already said you don't care about baseball and acknowledged that Sunday Ticket is very good. I don't think you can speak for majority of sports lovers if you eliminate one of the major sports in total. Overall, dirctv is way ahead on sports. Dish is competitive only in some sports only. Far from majority of sports lovers.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#50 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

The majority of sports lovers is far away from the majority of viewers. And for the majority of us that are not sports lovers, both services offer plenty in the way of all sports.

Yes, for the true sports lover, D* is the way to go. I don't think I've ever denied it.

Lloyd

Protected By... spam firewall...And...