Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

So is direct tv better than dish?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Mike Greer - my HR20-700 is just as fast as my HR24-500. No, they're not perfect (often ignore remote button presses), but that's not a big deal to me.

I had 4 days with a E* box last year, and couldn't make heads or tails out of it.

I'm not saying the E* wasn't good - it's just that I was USED to the D* box. I'm guessing that's your observation in reverse? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Mike Greer - my HR20-700 is just as fast as my HR24-500. No, they're not perfect (often ignore remote button presses), but that's not a big deal to me.

I had 4 days with a E* box last year, and couldn't make heads or tails out of it.

I'm not saying the E* wasn't good - it's just that I was USED to the D* box. I'm guessing that's your observation in reverse? Thanks.

Mr. Goose, I think maybe you mean that both your HR20-700 and your HR24-500 are both ‘fast enough’ for you right? It’s not physically possible for the HR20-700 to be as fast as the HR24-500 because the processor etc in the HR24-500 is physically faster than the HR20-500. I had an HR20-200 for a few days and it was certainly faster than my HR22s but still worked at a snail’s pace compared to Dish Network receivers.

It is the missing button presses and delayed button presses that used to drive me nuts when I had HR22s. Most of that is gone with my HR24-500 but navigating around the HR24 and using the guide can often be a painful thing because it is just not as fast and responsive as it should be.

I’m ok with the menu layout and the day to day use of either Dish or DirecTV – that’s not too big of a deal to me but if I had to pick one it would be DirecTV’s layout. Could be because I’m used to DirecTV’s way of doing things.

All of this is not to say that Kirko wouldn’t be fine with the speed. I’m just suggesting that he check it before he goes all-in. Better to know ahead of time than 10 minutes after the installer leaves….

#43 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 805 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Mr. Goose, I think maybe you mean that both your HR20-700 and your HR24-500 are both ‘fast enough’ for you right? It’s not physically possible for the HR20-700 to be as fast as the HR24-500 because the processor etc in the HR24-500 is physically faster than the HR20-500. I had an HR20-200 for a few days and it was certainly faster than my HR22s but still worked at a snail’s pace compared to Dish Network receivers.

It is the missing button presses and delayed button presses that used to drive me nuts when I had HR22s. Most of that is gone with my HR24-500 but navigating around the HR24 and using the guide can often be a painful thing because it is just not as fast and responsive as it should be.

I’m ok with the menu layout and the day to day use of either Dish or DirecTV – that’s not too big of a deal to me but if I had to pick one it would be DirecTV’s layout. Could be because I’m used to DirecTV’s way of doing things.

All of this is not to say that Kirko wouldn’t be fine with the speed. I’m just suggesting that he check it before he goes all-in. Better to know ahead of time than 10 minutes after the installer leaves….

I have an HR20-700 and an HR24-500. There may be a slight difference in their response times, but not much.

#44 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Depends on the sport doesn't it?

I'm a boxing and golf fan, neither service is markedly better than the other covering those sports.

For the other sports, I can see all I want of them with channels available in HD on both services just fine.

Does Dish offer like 7 channels of coverage for the golf majors? Do they offer the masters coverage in 3D? I'm a pretty big golf fan, and imo Directv destroys Dish's coverage of golf. Cant really comment on boxing, but it would seem that PPV events and showtime cover most major boxing events as well, but both probably can cover that.

#45 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

I'm a fan of golf in the sense I watch the various tournaments. I did check the Masters extra coverage one year and just wasn't enamored of it. Yeah it was great for those that are much more into watching golf, I'm just not one of them. So it isn't a benefit to me.

With boxing it just isn't the major fights that count for a fan. I watch amateur boxing, military boxing, much lesser pro fights and of course, the major fights. I get them on HBO, Showtime, Epix, ESPN2, CBS Sports, NBC Sports, Fuel and the Pentagon channel. So much boxing, so little time... :)

Both Direct and Dish do a good job with boxing with Direct missing the Pentagon channel but having other channels for some lesser and classic fights like Root Sports and MSG.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#46 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

I was just going by what you said about being a golf fan. No one covers golf better than Directv.

#47 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

I have an HR20-700 and an HR24-500. There may be a slight difference in their response times, but not much.

Same here, so close that I don't notice any difference when I'm using them, maybe if I used a stopwatch it would be more noticeable.

#48 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

I wouldn't argue the point much. Mostly to point out that for the majority of us that like some sports, both cover them well enough.

For those that are really into the sport and like all those extras, then D* does do a better job for most sports, outside of boxing. In boxing, they are nearly identical in offerings as I pointed out.

For me, even with boxing, I don't care about all the 'extras' that abound. I want to watch 2 fighters in the ring. I generally skip through most everything except the actual fight.

Lloyd

#49 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,086 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

I wouldn't argue the point much. Mostly to point out that for the majority of us that like some sports, both cover them well enough.

You've already said you don't care about baseball and acknowledged that Sunday Ticket is very good. I don't think you can speak for majority of sports lovers if you eliminate one of the major sports in total. Overall, dirctv is way ahead on sports. Dish is competitive only in some sports only. Far from majority of sports lovers.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#50 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

The majority of sports lovers is far away from the majority of viewers. And for the majority of us that are not sports lovers, both services offer plenty in the way of all sports.

Yes, for the true sports lover, D* is the way to go. I don't think I've ever denied it.

Lloyd

#51 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,086 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

The majority of sports lovers is far away from the majority of viewers. And for the majority of us that are not sports lovers, both services offer plenty in the way of all sports.

Yes, for the true sports lover, D* is the way to go. I don't think I've ever denied it.

Maybe you don't understand what you are writing, then.

"the majority of us that like some sports"

You've written that sort of statement a couple of times. It comes off as saying that it is a wash for sports when it is not except for only a couple. DirecTV has better baseball, better football, better tennis, better college sports (yes, I know that Dish as PAC 12 and DirecTV does not but DirecTV has more RSNs and most of them are fulltime HD) and better soccer. Dish holds its own in NBA and NHL but that is about it. I don't think Dish does better in any sport than DirecTV.

What I find hilarious is that Dish has the gall to actually advertise on sporting events and sports channels. Any advertising they do on baseball or football is a complete sham.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#52 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

I fully understand what I am writing.

For the majority that like some sports some of the time and are not big fans, D* and E* coverage is much more than adequate.

Only for the real sports fans does all of the extra that they offer become of real value to those real sports fans. For instance, I can watch plenty of football without having a single RSN available.

More of the people I know, even the ones that claim to be really into sports, don't watch anywhere near as much sports as one would think. And almost none of them subscribe to any of the extra cost sports packages.

Lloyd

#53 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Aside equipment differences and costs, the only thing that matters to me is programming.

These could be awfully big items to set aside.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#54 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

DirecTV has better baseball, better football, better tennis, better college sports (yes, I know that Dish as PAC 12 and DirecTV does not but DirecTV has more RSNs and most of them are fulltime HD) and better soccer.

Do you suppose it matters mightily to someone in the PAC-12 market how many (and how much extra you pay) RSNs are available in LA or NY? Should it matter to LA market subscribers that they don't get to see all of their intraconference college sports even with the Regional Sports fee?

There is no standard answer to the OP's question and it is folly to assume that a service known for something is going to be decidedly better at it in every case.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#55 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Same here, so close that I don't notice any difference when I'm using them, maybe if I used a stopwatch it would be more noticeable.

The HR20s are faster than the HR21/22/23 but maybe I'm going by out-dated experiences. Sadly - I don't think they've made the HR20s any faster but slowed the HR24s down.

When I was comparing speeds between the HR20 and HR24 it was shortly before the HDGUI came out. For a few months after the HDGUI 'upgrade' my HR24s ran like my HR22s - too slow and frustrating to use. They did correct much of the initial slow down eventually but my HR24s never got back to the speed they had.

It's hard to believe the HR20s are as fast as the HR24s that are something like 4 years newer but you have them both so you would know!

#56 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,735 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

More of the people I know, even the ones that claim to be really into sports, don't watch anywhere near as much sports as one would think. And almost none of them subscribe to any of the extra cost sports packages.

Then their claims of being "into" sports is false!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#57 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

The HR20s are faster than the HR21/22/23 but maybe I'm going by out-dated experiences. Sadly - I don't think they've made the HR20s any faster but slowed the HR24s down.

When I was comparing speeds between the HR20 and HR24 it was shortly before the HDGUI came out. For a few months after the HDGUI 'upgrade' my HR24s ran like my HR22s - too slow and frustrating to use. They did correct much of the initial slow down eventually but my HR24s never got back to the speed they had.

It's hard to believe the HR20s are as fast as the HR24s that are something like 4 years newer but you have them both so you would know!

I do have both of them and the 20-700 is not as quick as the 24s. Still fast tho. Both scroll thru the GUIDE so quickly I can't read what's in the Guide.

As far as DVR functions go, like trick-play, I see no difference. My large UPL bogs down both models, but I can live with what I've created. (With a lot of help.) In fact, I'm quite satisfied with my system, just as it is now.

I just called Dish and D* for different reasons and could not understand the Dish CSRs at all. I called D* and actually got a PP guy who works for D*. No problems between us, the problem I was having was quickly resolved.

I called Dish to see if they carried the Yes Network and to see how much it would cost to replicate my system. Got an answer of sorts, but I couldn't really understand the CSR. Not that I'm considering a move, I was just curious.

Rich

#58 OFFLINE   CallMeCoach

CallMeCoach

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

I think it's better, but the price isn't. I want to cancel these guys today!

#59 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Another fishing thread by a "new member". Look at all the bites!

#60 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Technolgy wise I think Dish is ahead with Hopper Transfer to Ipad for transfering recordings to Ipad for offline viewing and Anywhere App and Remote Access App to watch your DVR recordings to several devices, and Sling to watch LiveTV and DVR recordings remotely from Computers,Tablets,Smartphones, And of course EHD transfer between DVR's per same account(not just on one DVR only), But if your into sports Including NFL Sunday Ticket,NHL Center Ice,NBA League Pass,Australian Open Tennis,MLS Direct Kick,Espn Fullcourt and others all in HD(except Espn Fullcourt). One of the best HD picture quality and On screen Menu User Friendly Interface, And Directv App for Ipad,IPhone and Android to watch LiveTV channels and schedule recordings to any receivers, Directv2PC to watch recordings from your Computer and Nomad device to transfer recordings to Ipad,Computer,IPhone,Android, And The Genie HR34 and soon to come HR44 to record 5 shows at once with 5 tuners and Whole-Home DVR Service to share DVR playlist recordings between DVR's and HD receivers, In other words is a Win/Win for both providers better than cable.

Edited by acostapimps, 29 January 2013 - 06:04 PM.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 Deactivated
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

spam firewall