Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Yet another Genie HR 34/44 question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FarNorth

FarNorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

Here's my setup: I have a Slimline dish feeding into a switch, 2 coax feeds into an HR 22 in my home office which runs through a Slingbox. I have a pretty fast internet connection in this office and wireless router. I have 2 more coax feeds into the living room into another HR 22, I have a single feed into the garage for an H22 I don't use very often.

1. My main TV in the living room is on an inside wall, virtually impossible to get a hardline internet LAN cable there. The only way to access internet in this room or the rest of the house is wireless. To get coax to the TV, I had to run it along the garage ceiling and up through the floor. I can't put the TV and rcvr against the outside wall, way too much light.

2. The HR 22 in the office works fine, just as soon leave it alone.

3. If I could, I'd put a TV in one or two of the bedrooms upstairs but if I have to run coax, I'll do without.

Can I use an HR 34 or 44 in the living room connected through wifi and then feed a client box or two, also over wifi while leaving the rest of my setup as is? I'm in Alaska and have to do this on my own, no installers available.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, the only box that DirecTV has that supports wifi is the new HR44. So all other boxes would require coax to use DECA or ethernet to use your own home network (which is unsupported by DirecTV but many people have it working).

The HR34 box supports DECA so if you have coax in your living room, then you can connect to your home network.

You may already know this but there are ways to make non-wifi devices use wifi (power-line adapters or wireless bridges) but they can get a little pricey.

#3 OFFLINE   Guindalf

Guindalf

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

You are (kinda) mistaken.

The CCK (Cinema Connection Kit) is used to add WiFi to the HR34 and should be available through D*. I believe the 44 has it built in, but as that officially doesn't exist yet, you won't get one for some time.
There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

An unsupported setup would be to have the HR34 in a room that has a coax and would be connected back to your router either via ethernet or wireless CCK. You would then have C31 clients in rooms without coax available. The C31s would use wireless CCKs to connect back to your network, which in turn would, see the HR34. The one downside to this is that if you have wireless CCKs on both ends (HR34 and C31), you might definitely see lag when trying to use the C31s.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

spam firewall