Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   onan38

onan38

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

http://www.deadline....bruary-10-syfy/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,318 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

February 10 from 9-11 PM. I have missed all the promotions and publicity? Oh, that's right, this is Syfy and it isn't even on the front of their web site.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

Already aired on YouTube in 2012. Not bad but I still haven't forgiven BSG for how it ended.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,726 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

Not bad but I still haven't forgiven BSG for how it ended.

Neither have I. I boycott Ronald D. Moore stuff now.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 607 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

Finally watched it a few weeks back, wasn't bad. Got me to start watching BSG again on netflix. Kind of fun now after watching all the prequels.

#6 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,318 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Already aired on YouTube in 2012. Not bad but I still haven't forgiven BSG for how it ended.

I knew it aired on YouTube but I wanted to wait for the Syfy expanded version on my big screen with surround sound in my "home theater." I suppose, though, much of the target audience watched it on YouTube.

Let me take another try at convincing you the ending was not as bad as it seemed.

To me the last season was an attempt to interpret and reconcile to the "Cycle of Time" which is hardly an original philosophical or metaphysical construct and has been much debated. From Wikipedia:

Eternal return (also known as "eternal recurrence") is a concept which posits that the universe has been recurring, and will continue to recur, in a self-similar form an infinite number of times across infinite time or space. The concept is found in Indian philosophy and in ancient Egypt and was subsequently taken up by the Pythagoreans and Stoics. With the decline of antiquity and the spread of Christianity, the concept fell into disuse in the Western world, though Friedrich Nietzsche resurrected it as a thought experiment to argue for amor fati.

In addition, the philosophical concept of eternal recurrence was addressed by Arthur Schopenhauer. It is a purely physical concept, involving no supernatural reincarnation, but the return of beings in the same bodies. Time is viewed as being not linear but cyclical.

Also, in my view an underlying theme was the fundamental difference between other traditions and the Judeo-Christian tradition with regard to time. Again from Wikipedia:

Ancient cultures such as Incan, Mayan, Hopi, and other Native American Tribes, plus the Babylonians, Ancient Greeks, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and others have a concept of a wheel of time, that regards time as cyclical and quantic consisting of repeating ages that happen to every being of the Universe between birth and extinction.

In general, the Judeo-Christian concept, based on the Bible, is that time is linear, beginning with the act of creation by God. The general Christian view is that time will end with the end of the world.

In a very real sense linear time is built into "machines" which the Western World embraces as a belief about life - linear time is "built into" all living things, except perhaps for the soul of the chosen ones, human beings, all or a few - while other philosophical constructs passed from generation-to-generation, including the Sacred Scrolls of the Colonial religion, assert that time for creations not built by man is not linear and there is even room for that built by man in the eternal return.

That is why I'm not displeased with the ending described at Battlestar Wiki as follows:

The scene turns to show Hera playing and looking upward. Scenes of wood and desert and sea pass by in a geologic montage to reveal an Earth city - New York City - 150,000 years later.

As a fly-over of the city appears, a voice-over of Virtual-Six reads from a magazine article of the Tanzanian discovery of the bones of what scientists believe are the remains of the mitochondrial Eve, the matrilineal common ancestor of mankind.

As a man reads about the scientific discovery, the Messenger counterparts of Six and Baltar look over his shoulder at a magazine article of the news, and reveal what they know...the bones are those of Hera Agathon, born of a Cylon mother and a human father. No other people on the street appear to notice them.

The two talk of the technology and decadence, of whether this Earth will repeat the mistakes of generations past and again become overwhelmed by their creations. The Six thinks not, to Baltar's surprise. She cites the Law of Averages, believing it to be part of God's plan.

"You know it doesn't like that name," Baltar says. Six only looks back in mild defiance. "Silly. Silly me," he replies as the two walk away into the metropolis.

The episode concludes with scenes of robots, from toys to advanced automatons growing and evolving, as Jimi Hendrix's--Earth's popular version--of "All Along The Watchtower" plays, ending with an image of an attractive-looking female automaton gazing out over Times Square from a giant outdoor television screen as Six and Baltar walk off into the distance.

Keep in mind that in the Season 1 we saw the following:

Thrace is told of her part in a destiny by the second copy of the Cylon Leoben Conoy in the season 1 episode "Flesh and Bone" during his interrogation. The lines suggest that Thrace's destiny also involves the Leoben himself:

"This is not your path, Starbuck. You have a different destiny."

"All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."

"You kneel before idols and ask for guidance and you can't see that your destiny's already been written. Each of us plays a role, each time a different role. Maybe the last time I was the interrogator, and you were the prisoner. The players change, the story remains the same. And this time...this time, your role is to deliver my soul unto God. Do it for me. It's your destiny, and mine."

And so the ending leaves us continuing to ponder whether "as it was, so will it be" is about time (the Universe?) starting over again following the same broad patterns of destiny (maybe until we get it right) or is about humans just being stupid over and over again in a linear time frame.

No perfect ending existed for "Battlestar Galactica" because in Season 1 we were confronted with a statement of fact: "All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again." That is a very significant challenge to the generally accepted construct of time in the Western World - simply there is no ending, much less a satisfying one.

Edited by phrelin, 27 January 2013 - 03:56 PM.
add a missing reference link

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,726 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Let me take another try at convincing you the ending was not as bad as it seemed.

That's not possible. I think the way BSG ended is the absolute worst ending to a series that I've ever seen. Someone said Last Resort's ending was a cop out. They clearly didn't watch BSG or they'd know what a cop out ending really is.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Yeah, well, it sucked anyways. Baltar and #6 smirking around NYC looking like silly idiot ghosts right out of "Topper" and spewing incomprehensible pretentious nonsense was an insult to the loyal audience. There's good writing, and bad. This was THE WORST of the WORST!

Fact is, the whole cyclical reality concept was never set up well, and never got paid off. It was a half-baked mess--just like the Hendrix music--tacked onto the plot and did nothing but confuse everyone, including the actors themselves. Yes, Virginia, writers mess up. All the time.

#9 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

I guess I'm in the minority. I thought the ending to BSG was great.

Spoiler

Blood and Chrome felt much like BSG. The storytelling and intrigue was there. The emotion was there. It's going to be awesome.

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

litex2x:

To do a spoiler correctly, you need to use the spoiler tags...

[spoiler ] and [/spoiler]

Remove the space after the "r" in the first tag.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#11 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

I would have been content with the midseason, pre-strike ending. The second half of that season went off the crazy deep end.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#12 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:26 AM

+1. Looking forward to Blood and Chrome and hoping it doesn't lapse into incomprehensible babble about "it's all happened before" or anything about Hera. BTW, did they EVER explain what invisible #6 was doing hovering around Gaius all the time? Was he a Cylon too and she was just an implant in his head or something?? I saw the whole show but don't remember them ever really explaining that gag, though they milked it in every episode. We know she wasn't an imbedded chip since they scanned him and found nothing. I guess he wasn't a Cylon, but later there was a Baltar "Messenger" or something. Huh?

Edited by Maruuk, 02 February 2013 - 05:46 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,889 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

I knew it aired on YouTube but I wanted to wait for the Syfy expanded version on my big screen with surround sound in my "home theater."

I am in the same boat. I want to watch tv on a screen that I do not have to lean forward to see.

#14 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:17 AM

+1. One of the great pleasures during the series was to lay back in bed and let all that yummy monstrous 5.1 audio and HD big screen space ships at war goodness wash over me. Sweet!

#15 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

+1. Looking forward to Blood and Chrome and hoping it doesn't lapse into incomprehensible babble about "it's all happened before" or anything about Hera. BTW, did they EVER explain what invisible #6 was doing hovering around Gaius all the time? Was he a Cylon too and she was just an implant in his head or something?? I saw the whole show but don't remember them ever really explaining that gag, though they milked it in every episode. We know she wasn't an imbedded chip since they scanned him and found nothing. I guess he wasn't a Cylon, but later there was a Baltar "Messenger" or something. Huh?

Spoiler

#16 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Ah, thus the appalled response of most viewers. I saw it but that plot point was so preposterous and plainly silly that it just went right past me. Thanks for reminding me the writers were suffering from major burnout by the end!

#17 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,116 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Ah, thus the appalled response of most viewers. I saw it but that plot point was so preposterous and plainly silly that it just went right past me. Thanks for reminding me the writers were suffering from major burnout by the end!

+1
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#18 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

I have to wonder how the show avoided major protests by religious groups! Robots with souls? Where was all the marching and hate group threats we saw with The Passion of the Christ? This was far worse in their eyes! They even took Jesus right out of the picture.:lol:

#19 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

I watched Blood and Chrome last night. I thought it was okay. The story was solid, and there was good action. But I found the audio to be somewhat muddy and the PQ just sucked. The lens flares were distracting.

#20 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

"Let me take another try at convincing you the ending was not as bad as it seemed."

The stuff you've tried to justify was pretty bad, but may have been an okay ending - if only it weren't for the joke played on the fans of the show by Moore and the other writers:

The explanation for all that strange stuff, the dreams and "Along the Watchtower," for example, is ....

Spoiler

-- Roger

Edited by jadebox, 14 February 2013 - 01:11 PM.

spam firewall