Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Little bit of troubleshooting help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   acheriff

acheriff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

Hi all,

Long-time lurker, occasional poster...

My set-up is as follows:

SWM LNB with 1x8 green-label splitter. The splitter feeds one HR24, one HR20, one HR22 (total of six tuners) and one broadband DECA. All unused outputs are capped.

Last week started getting 771 and 775 errors on HR22. It coincided with an extreme cold snap in NY and I figurd I probably had an outside wiring/connection issue.

I checked all connections at splitter and they looked fine. I'm too chicken to get on the roof, but figured if it really were a problem at dish or LNB, I'd be having problems with all receivers--which I wasn't.

Here's where the tail-chasing begins. I noticed at one point that all lights were out on the DECA at the HR22. I figured the DECA went and DTV sent me a new one. I installed it, but again got intermittent 771 and 775 errors.

Next, I swapped the HR20 and HR22 and got the errors on the HR20 which seemed to implicate the wiring to that location rather than the receiver itself.

Next, I replaced the barrel connection on the RG6 run to the problematic location (at the receiver) because I felt like maybe I could provoke the error by jiggling the wire.

Now I'm just observing to see if the errors recur. But here's my last question:

When I do a satellite signal test, I get 0's on SWM at transponders 2, 4, and 7 for both tuners on the HR22. Is that normal?

Many thanks. Other suggestions most welcome!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

You didn't tell us what Sat you had those readings on so can't give you a precise answer if 0 is normal or not.

But try this.
Go to Sat setup screen and give us all the readings on these Sats.

99c
103ca
103cb
119 if it's there, may not be

Dont worry about the others.
Lets see what the HR20 and HR22 readings are for those above.

#3 OFFLINE   acheriff

acheriff

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Sorry, probably exposing my ignorance here...

On the signal meter, the SWM readings seem to be separate of any of the other sat location readings.

I'll look again.

#4 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

It is normal to have zeros on some SWM channels on the signal test.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#5 OFFLINE   acheriff

acheriff

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

Thanks--Should there be any pattern to which transponders are zero?

For instance, on my other household receivers I see different transponders at zero when testing SWM.

I just want to confirm that this is meaningless as a clue regarding my 771/775 errors.

#6 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,769 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

For instance, on my other household receivers I see different transponders at zero when testing SWM.

I just want to confirm that this is meaningless as a clue regarding my 771/775 errors.

Each zero you see on the SWM page, is a SWiM channel used by another receiver/tuner.
If you go around and put each receiver on the same SWM page, you shouldn't see any zeros. As each receiver exits the setup menu, the other receivers still on the page, should show a zero [or two] as the SWM channel is assigned to the tuners again.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   acheriff

acheriff

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Thank you. Feedback much appreciated.

#8 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

It might not be.

Why some transponders are at zero usually has to do with them being spot beams for other areas. This means that the pattern of what is zero will be unique to your area. My area will be different, for instance.

But that also means that all STBs from the same dish or in the same physical area should read nearly the same; if one shows zeroes on some transponders and another shows a different pattern, there is probably some underlying problem there.

That is sometimes due to an issue with the commands sent from the STB to the switch; if those commands are not sent or accepted properly, that can mean zeroes on all transponders for a certain polarity of a certain sat, which could be the LNBF/switch, another switch, the STB, or the cabling. Even if you have some zeroes, that means the polarity and sat is being selected correctly, but since there is a lot of frequency conversion in SWM, that makes it much more complex to troubleshoot, and opens the door for new problems.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#9 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,769 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

It might not be.

You missed the "SWM" part.
While theses aren't "transponders", the screen shows them the same way, so it's easy to mix them up as such.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

You missed the "SWM" part.
While theses aren't "transponders", the screen shows them the same way, so it's easy to mix them up as such.

I didn't miss that part. I even referenced it, which you may have missed. The screen shows you what arrives at the STB at what frequency. It may be unaware of the original frequency or that it may have been converted (I don't have it so I don't know), but as Hilary told them at the Bhengazi Senate hearings last week, "what difference does that make?" They still reference original signals on transponders.

You're the SWM expert, right? Why don't you tell us what's going on here?
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#11 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,495 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

He did in post #6.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#12 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,769 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

I didn't miss that part. I even referenced it, which you may have missed. The screen shows you what arrives at the STB at what frequency. It may be unaware of the original frequency or that it may have been converted (I don't have it so I don't know), but as Hilary told them at the Bhengazi Senate hearings last week, "what difference does that make?" They still reference original signals on transponders.

You're the SWM expert, right? Why don't you tell us what's going on here?

This was put to rest before your post today, "but" the SWM screen shows 9 signals, one for each of the SWiM channels. "TP" 1 is the guide, common for all receivers. 2-9 are the eight channels for tuners. Zeros show on a receiver when this channel is in use by another receiver/tuner.
By putting all receivers on the setup screen, this releases the SWiM channel, so the zeros disappear. When each receiver exits the setup, it reacquires SWiM channels for its tuner(s), so the other receivers still on the setup screen will reflect the channel(s) being used with a zero.
This is why each receiver shows different zeros on this screen, as they come from "the other receivers".
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...