Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What Hopper + Joey equipment do I need?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   s_cipris

s_cipris

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

Can anyone please help me and tell me what equipment I need to order for my scenario??

My setup is as follows:
Room 1 - TV room downstairs (main watching area)
Room 2 - Family room downstairs
Room 3 - Kitchen downstairs
Room 4 - Bedroom upstairs

I would like all 4 rooms to be able to watch and record from any of the other rooms.
I thought that a hopper in rooms 1 and 4, and a joey in rooms 2 and 3 would be what I would need. Am I correct?
Can the two hoppers see each other as well as both joeys? Can I also use the joeys to record, and would these recordings be seen in all rooms?

My wife records different soap operas and I would like to keep these recordings on a hopper in Room 4, but be able to view in all other rooms.

I am thinking of getting the hopper with sling for Room 1, would that work for me?

Do these hopper and joeys communicate wirelessly with each other, or would I need coax or other wires all over between the devices.?

Also would a change of satellite dish be necessary or can I use what is in place now. My current setup is a Dish 1000 with 722DVR in Room 1 and 211 in Room 4.I would be replacing this with hopper and joey setup.

Thanks again for any help. I am confused as to my needs.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated. Thank you for your input.

Steve C

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

2 Hoppers are needed depending on your viewing/recording habits, if you think you need 2 then you probably do. The Joeys can be switched between 2 Hoppers very quickly so recordings or accessing free tuners shouldn't be a problem. Also, Hopper can see recordings from the other Hopper so you should have no problem there. Sling is useful if you are viewing recordings from Smart phones, Androids, netbooks or computers so if you are not doing this, you shouldn't need sling.

#3 OFFLINE   lonerwulf

lonerwulf

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

It looks to me hopper 3 joeys would be good for u the hopper records 2000 hours of programming and u can watch 3 live programs at same time it sound like an extra hopper would be a waste of money

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

It looks to me hopper 3 joeys would be good for u the hopper records 2000 hours of programming and u can watch 3 live programs at same time it sound like an extra hopper would be a waste of money

Many people on the site enjoy a second Hopper. We have at least one member with three Hoppers. It is all about covering the needs of the individual subscriber.

#5 OFFLINE   lonerwulf

lonerwulf

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

Of course it is but I'm saying hopper is a great machine and IMO 1hopper would serve his needs

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

Of course it is but I'm saying hopper is a great machine and IMO 1hopper would serve his needs

Unless he needs 4 live feeds and the second Hopper is $7/mo. the same as the Joey would be.

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:16 PM

Unless he needs 4 live feeds and the second Hopper is $7/mo. the same as the Joey would be.

The initial fee is greater for the second Hopper than a Joey but in my opinion it is well worth it. Even in a one Hopper, One Joey situation. When PTAT kicks in one is down to two tuners (some may have OTA). If both TV viewers are watching non-PTAT live and something is scheduled to record someone is going to lose their program - or kill the recording that someone else may be relying on.

It does not take very many complaints of "Hey! that movie I was watching cut off and I can't watch the ending because one of your recordings started!" or "Hey! My recording was cancelled and that was the only airing today!" before a second Hopper can become a marriage saver. :)

That is why when I read of someone who wants to replace TWO receivers with a Hopper system I recommend they look at two Hoppers. They are accustomed to having a private tuner in that second location (room 4 in the example).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...