Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wrestling Hangout Thread

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

Just attended a WWE Smackdown house show at East Carolina University Feb, 2
Ive never liked going to a non televised event, but now they have a set with video screens behind the stage. Just like a tv event except no pyro. They even had the opening of smackdown like on tv. Great matches, more personal feel to the show.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   philtec

philtec

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 53 posts
  • LocationPhila PA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

was that who that was

#28 OFFLINE   wolvesjohnblack

wolvesjohnblack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

Yes that was him.I don't know why he can't be dirty dutch mantell.Swagger really needs a manager so it should be a good fit.Hopefully they don't tune down his character too much.

#29 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,044 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Might be the wrong kind of wrestling than the kind the OP had in mind, but thought it might be of interest. Wrestling will be dropped from the Olympics in 2020.

http://www.nytimes.c...ng-in-2020.html

#30 OFFLINE   philtec

philtec

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 53 posts
  • LocationPhila PA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Bruno Sammartino recently stated that he’ll receive $5000 and a WWE Hall of Fame ring for accepting the company’s invitation to be inducted. There are also plans for Bruno and WWE to work together on future projects that should pay him handsomely.

#31 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:57 AM

I can't imagine what kind of project Bruno could "work together" on with Vince given their history.

#32 OFFLINE   wolvesjohnblack

wolvesjohnblack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

I was surprised with their history he agreed to go into the hall of fame.But he has to be in for it to be remotely taken serious.The question is does his speech make the usa broadcast with Trish Stratus and Mick Foley going in?Why put Bruno and Backlund in the same year?The two greatest champions in WWF history both going in at MSG where they were big draws.

#33 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

I think, that, should be intresting. Hmm. Wow. I think Trish doesn't get the face time, tbh. If anything, it should be Bruno and Foley.

#34 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

Might be the wrong kind of wrestling than the kind the OP had in mind, but thought it might be of interest. Wrestling will be dropped from the Olympics in 2020.

Booooo

#35 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 2,147 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Fl

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

Next thing they be dropping synchronize swimming.

#36 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

I can't imagine what kind of project Bruno could "work together" on with Vince given their history.

Well, I i'm sure the put together another DVD. They did one a few years ago, but not sure how comprehensive it was. Normally a DVD deal is in the works in situations like this. And they'll use Bruno for commentary.
--
Which also still makes me unsure as to why they haven't put in Savage. They did a DVD on the man and acknowledged his death. Jeez >.>

#37 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,044 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

Next thing they be dropping synchronize swimming.

It's a commonly ridiculed sport, and not really one I follow, but it actually does take a lot of strength and lung capacity. Doing a routine that includes lifting a team member without touching the bottom of the pool cannot be easy.

#38 OFFLINE   rajmarie

rajmarie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

Really surprised to read that. More surprised to hear the reason specially doping. Lol that means no more cycling events. IMO the reason it's being dropped is that the rich nations can't win many medals from it. Laughing at the substitute sports

#39 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,044 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Well, I don't think they'd drop all cycling if it was due to doping, I don't think it's a big issue in track cycling. But considering wrestling is one of the original Olympic sports, it's a bit troubling. Sure, there are a few things that I'm glad they changed from the ancient Olympics, along with some of the dropped "sports", like Chariot racing.

I have also wondered about the sports that are still men only, though thankfully it's changing.

#40 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 2,147 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Fl

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

I find it funny that in the age of five hundred channels, we have a hard time finding time to broadcast more than twenty-five sports that only come on every four years.

Ps After going over my post I am not sure of what I am trying to say. I leave it as somebody might be able to explain it to me.:)

Edited by yosoyellobo, 14 February 2013 - 07:10 PM.
Add comment

#41 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,296 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Vince turned it into a circus with snakes,dogs,and birds.

Absolutely right there were no sideshow aspects to the sport before.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#42 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

Absolutely right there were no sideshow aspects to the sport before.

Meh, I would disagree. They weren't to the scale they went to when the 80's came with the Cartoon Era, but showmanship was still important. Wrestling and the fans simply outgrew Sammartino and that era, and he couldn't adjust. Much like Bret Hart couldn't adjust when the attitude era started to ramp up. Doesn't make Bruno bad, Vince was just trying to go a different direction and Bruno didn't like it. If Bruno had his way, WWE would have ended up dying like alot of other regional promotions eventually did.
--
It's not like wrestling was real when Bruno worked. What Vince did for the wrestling industry, in nationalizing it, can not be denied. That was a good thing, not a bad thing. The only other thing close for being nationalized were the NWA Television tapings (at the time).

#43 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THE SPINNER BELT IS DEAD! :dance::dance01: (finally, long, long overdue). I actually like the new look of the belt. Still prefer the one pre-spinner belt, but anything, is better than that travesty.
--
I am however surprised they did it with the Rock. I actually expected a changeover when Punk started his run, as to me it would have made more sense. 'This is the end of the 24/7 John Cena era, and to help usher that in, i've created a new belt' Type deal.
--
Either way, my excitement at the Spinner Belts death, can not be over-stated.

#44 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

i wonder if swagger is gonna get rvd'ed now since he was busted for pot tuesday night
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#45 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

i wonder if swagger is gonna get rvd'ed now since he was busted for pot tuesday night

He might. Probably depends on if it's his first offense. I wouldn't mind him going away, as I think he's average at best as a worker. I liked the agressive character style when he came back, and now they've saddeled him with this current 'true american' stchick, which is deplorable, and more importantly, was unneeded.

#46 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Besides, look at how many chances they gave Hardy, and he got a title run. Thena gain, everytime his push stopped it was due to drug usage. :nono2:

#47 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

Besides, look at how many chances they gave Hardy, and he got a title run. Thena gain, everytime his push stopped it was due to drug usage. :nono2:

yea but hardy a merchandise mover swagger never has been and i think his push is over cause he was also cited for dui which is worse then just being busted for pot. but then again we don't know if the dui was for pot or alcohol
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#48 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

yea but hardy a merchandise mover swagger never has been and i think his push is over cause he was also cited for dui which is worse then just being busted for pot. but then again we don't know if the dui was for pot or alcohol

Very True. Swagger's never been able to get over from a character standpoint, which is why I had hope with the new 'aggressive' style character when he first came back, but once that old man showed up, it all went in the crapper for me.
--
Then again, mic skills are no where near the level compared to the previous era's, which I think makes getting new stars over, alot harder. Hell, Ryback wasn't anywhere near being over, until one single moment with him staring at Punk, daring him to touch Mick again.
--
The Wrestling industry is funny that way, how some of the smallest things just turns the tide. I remember my acceptance of Orton, and for most fans of him, was after the hardcore match with Foley. Hell, Hardy seemed credible after the ladder match with him and Taker. That thing was bonkers, and not on a PPV, and even though he lost, it suddenly made him believable/crediable to be a champ.
--
I've seen many pushes fail because that moment isn't capitalized on, or created at all. Look at Shelton Benjamin (HHH feud) and Kofi (Orton, nevermind, feud)
--
Even Punk and the Faux 'shoot' he did. That moment was when fans, in general, were ready to accept that 'jump'.

#49 OFFLINE   whitewolf8214

whitewolf8214

AllStar

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Here is 2 questions I have for you....#1 Since it's WrestleMania season obviously a lot of chatter surrounds The Undertaker, and rightfully so. The Undertaker IS WrestleMania to a lot of fans. For the past few years his match has been the best on the card, and is the main event regardless of placement on the card. That being said, I'm really doubtful we see him this year. The photos that surfaced last week of him at an NHL game show a fragile, beat up looking old man. He's given it his all at "The Show of Shows" for over 2 decades now, and I don't want to see him compete if he isn't healthy enough to give it a solid go. Honestly, him losing The Streak would bother me a lot less than seeing him come out and look like a beaten down shell of himself that struggles to put on a good match. That would hurt the mystique of The Undertaker more so then being 20-1. So maybe no Undertaker is for the best at this point, if he really isn't healthy and strong enough to be "The Undertaker.".....HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO: If Undertaker returns and wrestles CM Punk at WrestleMania XXIX, and Punk wins (which rumors say is Taker's wish) How would you respond? Immediately after seeing the 3 count take place??? To me Its Takers wish...nuf said lol he worked his arse off for over 20 years.....I think he can make whatever call he wants now. He deserves it. And be grateful that he chooses punk and not cena/ryback/sheamus

But my initial reaction after the 3 count?....my jaw would be on the floor in shock lol Takers streak should not end ever but it is Takers wish Question #2 is "What if..."

During Vince's "fight" with Paul Heyman on next week's Monday Night Raw Brock Lesnar interferes...and then...HHH music hits...HHH makes the save and gets on the mic...He goes on to say how he'd love to whip Lesnar's a** for messing with his family, but there's someone who'd love to kick his a** even more...and then...Lights go out....Gong....Taker appears...Points to Wrestlemania sign and immediately tombstones Lesnar. Think about it. Lesnar and Taker still have bad blood between them (going back to Lesnar leaving before Taker could get a win over him...and going back to Taker showing up at Lesnar's UFC event and asking, "You want to go?")...Maybe...just maybe. Too creative or would you rather see HHH vs Lesnar? I still think if Taker fights at WM it will be Punk but what if this happens..hmm :)

#50 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

i don't think it would be the same if he lost even if it is to punk who i've been a fan of since his ecw days and i don't see taker perfoming unless he can give 100%

Protected By... spam firewall...And...