Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Watching Deception on NBC?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,158 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

It is completely soap opera-ish and reminds me of the originals of Melrose Place and Dynasty, but I admit - I'm hooked!

What about the rest of you?

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,798 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

I'm recording it to wait and see if it is a hit or gets a full season but based on your summation I'm thinking I'm going to delete the SL and recordings as soon as I get home from work tonight.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,158 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Runner - don't take my descriptions!! I was just trying to categorize it. I actually only watched like 5 episodes of Melrose Place. But I did love Dynasty.

There is not bed hopping (yet) and stuff like that. It is just the rich family that reminded me of Dynasty. And the clothes and cars and power.

But the main character is undercover in the rich family. The family, is of course, a mess. And the mystery is only very slowly coming unraveled.

Maybe wait for Phrelin or someone more eloquent and in tune with television genres.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Yep, it is a night time soap. I doubt we will continue watching.

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,798 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Yeah, if it's a soap I'm done without even starting.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,742 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

From some of the descriptions, soap opera is a good category.

"Joanna's cover causes her to spend more time with Samantha and Julian. Meanwhile, Edward is fired from his job and Mia makes some rash decisions with a new friend. "

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Watched the first two episodes and then canned it.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#8 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Runner - don't take my descriptions!! I was just trying to categorize it. I actually only watched like 5 episodes of Melrose Place. But I did love Dynasty.

There is not bed hopping (yet) and stuff like that. It is just the rich family that reminded me of Dynasty. And the clothes and cars and power.

But the main character is undercover in the rich family. The family, is of course, a mess. And the mystery is only very slowly coming unraveled.

Maybe wait for Phrelin or someone more eloquent and in tune with television genres.

I put it closer to "The Killing" on AMC.
I think they are trying to mimic that kind of drama.
I will give a couple more.

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,855 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

It is completely soap opera-ish and reminds me of the originals of Melrose Place and Dynasty, but I admit - I'm hooked!

I removed it from my series manager after the premier episode.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,798 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

Ok, it has been deleted here without even watching... Soap opera, yuck....
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

I tried to watch it, but it is SO SLOW ... it takes a big investment of time to get to the end of the story and, IMHO, I can't see how the ending can be any more than a letdown.

I wouldn't characterize it like Melrose Place, though. It's more of a long running crime mystery (whodunit) that happens to involve a shady family. Think about the game "Clue" and the main character is the only "player" while everyone else is somehow in on it.

I've considered continuing to watch it, but very likely I'm done because it takes too long to get from point A to point B.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,702 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Not "hooked" but still actively recording and watching. At some point though her current case has to resolve or the whole thing spins into the famous Dr Seuss land of Whocaresville;). It is a nice mindless retreat as entertainment of this type should be but I wonder how long it will hold my attention span.

Don "why was I speaking about spans?" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#13 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

The problem with NBC's "Deception" is ABC's "Revenge." What we do is take a crime and mix in some rich folks and a woman who was sort of around the family as a kid.

In "Deception" the woman, a child of a servant, is now a cop trying to figure out who is enough of an evil doer to be arrested. In "Revenge" the woman was child of an employee who is now rich seeking revenge against all the evil doers if she can decide exactly who they all are.

Both use soap subplots and offer mysteries, but "Deception" slips more into the crime procedural because it involves cops and prosecutors as key characters.

NBC reduced its "Deception" season order from 13 to 11 episodes. They placed it in the Monday 10 pm slot opposite "Castle" and "Hawaii Five-0", both fairly popular shows. Looking at the ratings, it's clear "Deception" will be an 11-episode mini-series.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#14 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

The problem with NBC's "Deception" is ABC's "Revenge." What we do is take a crime and mix in some rich folks and a woman who was sort of around the family as a kid.

In "Deception" the woman, a child of a servant, is now a cop trying to figure out who is enough of an evil doer to be arrested. In "Revenge" the woman was child of an employee who is now rich seeking revenge against all the evil doers if she can decide exactly who they all are.

Both use soap subplots and offer mysteries, but "Deception" slips more into the crime procedural because it involves cops and prosecutors as key characters...

I'm not sure how that is seen as a problem; all TV shows dilute the rest of all TV shows because we can only watch so much. The only problem with programs that are similar is that one of them suffers by comparison, while the other triumphs by comparison; a good-looking girl should still never stand next to the best-looking girl at the party, because by comparison she will be considered average. But that the two shows have similarities probably has little impact on who watches.

The pie is bigger than it used to be, but the pieces are all pretty small. Today, FOX gets half the ratings from Fringe that they got a few years ago with Firefly, but a 6 rating got Firefly cancelled pretty early while Fringe ran for 5 years with a 3.

And if we must compare them, Revenge is just a better, much more clever show. Better acted, written, produced, with more-appealing characters by far. It may be a soap, but it is a true guilty pleasure, and far from a predictable procedural. It is also unique compared to other shows (or was, until Deception came along attempting a similar mojo). Also, better-promoted, which ABC seems to be better at than NBC.

About the only actor doing anything interesting on Deception is Tate Donavon, and what makes his performance interesting is mostly that he is cast against type, and we are not used to seeing him in this sort of role. That's not enough. The lead, Megan Goode, needs to carry the show, and she really isn't doing that, having seemingly learned nothing from her time on Californication. Emily VanCamp knows how to carry a show, has done so 2 or 3 times already, and she does it effortlessly here, and with a really great supporting cast.

Edited by TomCat, 28 January 2013 - 06:14 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#15 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

While I haven't completely written this one off (as of yet), it seems to at least have mildly amusing entertainment value. Suffice it to say, though, none of the characters have generated the least bit of sympathy. I'll probably stick it out if nothing else than to see how it ends.

I did like Donovan in Damages. And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the gal who plays his wife also play Charlie Harper's ex in 2&1/2? I always got a kick out of her.

#16 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

We watched one episode then gave this on up.

spam firewall