Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

h21-100 not detecting swm

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sctroutbum

sctroutbum

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

self install of directv sl3 swm on a slimline dish. Having problems. I don't think my h21-100 is registering the swm lnb. I've got one cable from the dish to the PI and from the PI to the receiver. When I go through setup, my options for satellite are round, oval 3lnb, oval 5 lnb, slimline 3 lnb and 5 lnb multisat. This is my first install, but I've been reading for a while and fairly tech capable. Should my receiver recongize the swm? Thought it could possibly be the lnb, but I have two and have tried both. I have used dish pointer to get the direction, and maybe I dont have it pointed correctly, but I'm still not convinced the receiver recognizes the lnb.
Any help or suggestions? At my wits end

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,101 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Most people point too much to the west. Try rotating the dish as much as 10 degrees to the east to see if you get a signal.
I think you have to have a signal for the SWM to show up.
Set the Screen of the TV to show the 101 sat and get that to the mid to high 90s. Then tweak it for the 99c and 103ca and 103cb sats.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   sctroutbum

sctroutbum

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

thats my problem, I dont think the swm is showing up, unless ive missed something

#4 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,101 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

I had to find my list and went to get me and my son something to eat for the day. Sorry about that.

The dish choice is number 17 in the list. SLIMELINE - 3S(SWM)

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   sctroutbum

sctroutbum

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

only have five choices, round, oval 3lnb, oval 5lnb, slimline 3lnb and 5lnb multisat

#6 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,101 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Try a couple of things to see what we get.
Unplug the Power Inserter ( PI ) and see if you get a message on the screen that says it has a problem communicating with the dish.

If you do, unplug the H21 and wait for a minute. Plug in the Power Inserter ( PI ).
Now plug in the H21 and see if you get a signal and if it chooses the Slimline 3 dish.

Please verify that your LNB on the dish only has a connection for 1 coax and not 4 of them.
Thanks

Edited by jimmie57, 27 January 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   sctroutbum

sctroutbum

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

My LNB only has one output. Should one of my options for satellite say SWM or is the slimline 3 the same thing?

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,615 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

My LNB only has one output. Should one of my options for satellite say SWM or is the slimline 3 the same thing?

A single coax connection shows it is a SWiMLNB.
If things were working, it would tell the receiver it is a SWiM and you wouldn't get the choices you have for the dish.

Either the LNB is defective, the PI is, or the receiver, if it isn't your wiring.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   sctroutbum

sctroutbum

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

its only 2 new wires, can't see where it could be that. Does the h21 have some sort of software update that it needs to work with swm? Maybe that is why it isn't working?

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,615 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

its only 2 new wires, can't see where it could be that. Does the h21 have some sort of software update that it needs to work with swm? Maybe that is why it isn't working?

I don't believe the H21 needs a software update as it came out when SWiM was already released. The H/HR20 need the update.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall