Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Router, No More VOD

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   etexlady

etexlady

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

I had to replace my wireless router a couple of weeks ago. I had a Linksys and changed to a Mediabridge brand. I have wired connections for VOD which has worked fine. The HD DVR (HR-20-700) connected to my television in the living room picked up the signal and connected to the internet with no problem. The HD-DVR (HR-22-100) in my den will no longer connect. I've tried resetting the router and rebooting the DVR with no success. I really don't want to call tech support but it looks like that will have to be my next step. Any ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Are you using DHCP or static addresses? Is the router address correct on your receivers?

DirecTV customer since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

I had to replace my wireless router a couple of weeks ago. I had a Linksys and changed to a Mediabridge brand. I have wired connections for VOD which has worked fine. The HD DVR (HR-20-700) connected to my television in the living room picked up the signal and connected to the internet with no problem. The HD-DVR (HR-22-100) in my den will no longer connect. I've tried resetting the router and rebooting the DVR with no success. I really don't want to call tech support but it looks like that will have to be my next step. Any ideas?

The IP Address your previous router assigned to this receiver is probably different from the IP address your new router has assigned to this receiver. That information needs to be updated. You'll probably need to restore your network defaults and go through the connection process again, see below for instructions on how to do that.

Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > Network Setup > Restore Network Defaults > Connect Now

#4 OFFLINE   etexlady

etexlady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Wilbur, I'm using DHCP. I tried entering my router address in the advanced network setup with no success. And, as suggested, I have tried to restore the network defaults time and time again but no luck. I'm sure it's something minor that needs to be tweaked but I'm not tech savvy enough to know what.

#5 ONLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

Have you tried resetting the RECEIVER?
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#6 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Wilbur, I'm using DHCP. I tried entering my router address in the advanced network setup with no success. And, as suggested, I have tried to restore the network defaults time and time again but no luck. I'm sure it's something minor that needs to be tweaked but I'm not tech savvy enough to know what.

You don't enter the router's address there; you can put in a static (fixed) IP address in the advanced setup. It should be a number close to what the other receiver uses, to make it simple (lots of different ways to set this up, and some will say it's wrong, but give it a try.) Can you see what your router "sees" through its web interface?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

I would probably just avoid using the Advanced Setup on the receiver and have it do the Auto setup so the receiver obtains its own IP address via DHCP. Once that is done, check the IP address of the receiver. If it is still at 169.254..x.x then you have another issue we need to look into. Another thing to check is to make sure the Ethernet cable from the router is plugged into the top Ethernet port on the receiver (if you are not using DECA).

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#8 OFFLINE   synpse

synpse

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

I have to fight with my UPSTAIRS R-22 receiver every now and then. It's got a Linksys WET610N (wireless bridge) and sometimes it gets all messed up.

Last week I was using an Android phone app to control the tv, but it said "no internet". Had to go through all the network setup stuff a couple times before it was happy. IDK what its problem was.. just some stupid network bleh bs. no logical reason, just method to resetting and reconfiguring.

#9 OFFLINE   etexlady

etexlady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

I would probably just avoid using the Advanced Setup on the receiver and have it do the Auto setup so the receiver obtains its own IP address via DHCP. Once that is done, check the IP address of the receiver. If it is still at 169.254..x.x then you have another issue we need to look into. Another thing to check is to make sure the Ethernet cable from the router is plugged into the top Ethernet port on the receiver (if you are not using DECA).

- Merg

I've done auto setup several times but the IP address of the receiver continues to be 169.254.... Ethernet cable is plugged into the correct port. The router's web interface states "connected".

#10 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

It's a bit odd one is getting it and the other isn't. If one is connecting then I feel that would be a good indication the router is working properly. Have you tried switching it to another ethernet port that you know is working on the router or a different cable.

#11 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

A 169...IP address is certainly wrong. What is your router's IP? Normally 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.

DirecTV customer since 1996

#12 OFFLINE   etexlady

etexlady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Router's IP is 192.168.0.1

I'll have to pick up a new cable tomorrow but I don't think that is the problem.

#13 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

etexlady,

As noted the IP address you are seeing on the non-working receiver is wacky.

Let's start fresh. Please go to your working receiver and check the advanced setup in the "Network Setup" section of the "Settings" menu. Next, let us know what you see on each of the boxes.

Your "IP Address:" should be 192.168.0.x where x is the number given by your router.
Your "Subnet Mask" should be 255.255.255.0
Your "Default Gateway" should be 192.168.0.1 (the number you gave us earlier)
Your "DNS:" should be the same 192.168.0.1.

The go to your "non-working" receiver and give us the values for the "Default Gateway" you see there. If you do not see 192.168.0.1 then it is obvious that something is haywire.

We can certainly help with the situation, but we need to do it in a step by step fashion to get an understanding of exactly the problem is.

Hope this helps,
Bob

#14 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

etexlady,

As noted the IP address you are seeing on the non-working receiver is wacky.

Let's start fresh. Please go to your working receiver and check the advanced setup in the "Network Setup" section of the "Settings" menu. Next, let us know what you see on each of the boxes.

Your "IP Address:" should be 192.168.0.x where x is the number given by your router.
Your "Subnet Mask" should be 255.255.255.0
Your "Default Gateway" should be 192.168.0.1 (the number you gave us earlier)
Your "DNS:" should be the same 192.168.0.1.

The go to your "non-working" receiver and give us the values for the "Default Gateway" you see there. If you do not see 192.168.0.1 then it is obvious that something is haywire.

We can certainly help with the situation, but we need to do it in a step by step fashion to get an understanding of exactly the problem is.

Hope this helps,
Bob

The fact that the receiver is getting the IP address of 169.254.x.x means that the receiver is not seeing the router and the Default Gateway is going to be blank. If it hasn't been done, I would perform a reset of the router and then rerun the Network Setup on the problem receiver. As mentioned previously, would also try using a different port on the router and a different cable just to be sure. After any changes, Network Setup should be rerun.

- Merg

#15 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Merg,
We are not in disagreement about the problem; simply not lined up on the source of it. I have a Linksys router and the default gateway setting for the Gateway is 192.168.1.1. I strongly suspect that his "bad" receiver is looking at that address rather than 192.168.0.1. If I am correct, his receiver will never get a good address. And I am not sure if just doing a reset will clear up the problems That is why I am asking what he is seeing as the default gateway on the "bad" receiver.
Bob

#16 OFFLINE   etexlady

etexlady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

OK, Merg, something is "haywire". The "working" receiver shows the values you list. The "non-working" receiver is getting the IP address of 169.254.8.1. And, Bob, the default gateway on the "bad" receiver is blank. I did do a reset on the router and a reboot of the receiver, then tried network setup again. No luck.

My TV is a Samsung Smart TV. I double-checked that it was connected to the network and the settings are the same except for the DNS which on the TV shows to be different. Maybe it is supposed to be.

I also have a X-Box connected and had to do a software update to it recently. Could that have anything to do with the DTV receiver going wonky?

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

Merg,
We are not in disagreement about the problem; simply not lined up on the source of it. I have a Linksys router and the default gateway setting for the Gateway is 192.168.1.1. I strongly suspect that his "bad" receiver is looking at that address rather than 192.168.0.1. If I am correct, his receiver will never get a good address. And I am not sure if just doing a reset will clear up the problems That is why I am asking what he is seeing as the default gateway on the "bad" receiver.
Bob

That's the problem. When the receiver defaults to APIPA, there will be no Default Gateway or DNS listed. The IP address will be 169.254.x.x and the Subnet Mask will be 255.255.0.0.

- Merg

#18 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

OK, Merg, something is "haywire". The "working" receiver shows the values you list. The "non-working" receiver is getting the IP address of 169.254.8.1. And, Bob, the default gateway on the "bad" receiver is blank. I did do a reset on the router and a reboot of the receiver, then tried network setup again. No luck.

My TV is a Samsung Smart TV. I double-checked that it was connected to the network and the settings are the same except for the DNS which on the TV shows to be different. Maybe it is supposed to be.

I also have a X-Box connected and had to do a software update to it recently. Could that have anything to do with the DTV receiver going wonky?

Just to verify, all of your receivers are connected by Ethernet to your router, correct? You are not using DECA, correct?

For the working receiver, post the IP address, DNS, and Gateway that are listed. Also post those for your TV too. For the non-working receiver, is the status light for the port it is plugged into on the router on? Have you tried a different port on the router and then tried rerunning the Network Setup on the receiver? Have you tried a different Ethernet cable?

- Merg

#19 OFFLINE   etexlady

etexlady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Yes, both receivers are connected by ethernet. I used the DTV Cinema Connection Kit purchased from DTV as part of the setup.

Working receiver:
IP Address - 192.168.0.102
DNS - 208.180.42.68
Gateway - 192.168.0.1

For the TV:
IP - 192.168.0.108
DNS - 208.189.42.68
Gateway - 192.168.0.1

Have not had a chance to get a new cable. I don't have one on hand that is long enough so will have to purchase a new one. I've tried a different port.

Thanks for your help.

#20 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Same info for non-working receiver.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...