Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone using DTV with motorhome-can U switch HD locals currently?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RVRambler

RVRambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:20 AM

Anyone switch HD locals as they travel?

Left DTV almost 2yrs back due to them NOT willing to change my locals as I move around from state to state. They had done so willingly for 2.5 yrs prior. They claimed a law changed in Jan of 2011 preventing them from doing, switched to Dish & they do it willingly, almost 2yrs later!

Lately I only change locals at most twice a year, but DTV forced me to buy their super pricey East-West coast locals pkg, (only 4 network HD channels, !!) for $16 (I think it was, $20 now I think), and no choice of East or West channels, you ONLY got those of your region (West for me), pretty $4itty IMO!

So, my Dish contract is ending soon, & wondered if things have changed?

TIA!
Rambling 'Round n RV'

VIP-722k
1000.2, Dual DPP rooftop

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

I got tired of fighting them as well so I rely on OTA. Unless you in the middle on no where you can usually get one or two locals with the rooftop antenna.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

Left DTV almost 2yrs back due to them NOT willing to change my locals as I move around from state to state. They had done so willingly for 2.5 yrs prior. They claimed a law changed in Jan of 2011 preventing them from doing, switched to Dish & they do it willingly, almost 2yrs later!

Lately I only change locals at most twice a year, but DTV forced me to buy their super pricey East-West coast locals pkg, (only 4 network HD channels, !!) for $16 (I think it was, $20 now I think), and no choice of East or West channels, you ONLY got those of your region (West for me), pretty $4itty IMO!

So, my Dish contract is ending soon, & wondered if things have changed?

TIA!

Just pick up the CONUS east or west feeds (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX) and add local OTA with an AM21.
DTV = Digital Television

#4 OFFLINE   khigerd

khigerd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

My parents spend the winter in Texas. They have no problem getting their locals switched twice a year.
Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR24-200 & AM21
Sony HT-SS2000 Home Theatre System
Sony BDP-S500 Blu-Ray player
Sony DVP-CX995V 400 Disc CD/DVD Player
All connected via HDMI
Networked via Linksys WRT160N
All powered by APC UPS

#5 OFFLINE   RVRambler

RVRambler

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Just pick up the CONUS east or west feeds (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX) and add local OTA with an AM21.

You obviously did not read my post, 4 HD channels for $20 is &#&$%*ing absurd !! (I do NOT watch SD at all) Also DTV will NOT give you the CONUS E or W channels as your locals, I tried.

Funny, they dropped my bill from $90 to $47 when I called to quit, but did not offer to switch my locals, so easy yet sooooo hard, silly DTV!
Rambling 'Round n RV'

VIP-722k
1000.2, Dual DPP rooftop

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,735 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

if you subscribe to an RV account, it will include the DNS (either west or east, NOT both) as part of the package.

#7 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

My parents spend the winter in Texas. They have no problem getting their locals switched twice a year.

Twice a year should be no problem. There are many "snowbirds" that do this. What DirecTV won't generally do is change the locals every time someone in an RV arrives at a new location.

#8 OFFLINE   cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

I've got a question about the whole RV thing... how exactly does it work. If I wanted a dedicated receiver for the RV with the NY Locals (since I'm in the east) would I have to pay for a complete programming package just for the RV, or would it "mirror" my programming package and just authorize that receiver for the distant locals? I hate to pay for an entirely separate programming package for something that is only used several months out of the year.

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,914 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

I've got a question about the whole RV thing... how exactly does it work. If I wanted a dedicated receiver for the RV with the NY Locals (since I'm in the east) would I have to pay for a complete programming package just for the RV, or would it "mirror" my programming package and just authorize that receiver for the distant locals? I hate to pay for an entirely separate programming package for something that is only used several months out of the year.

I believe the RV account has to be just that, a separate account. An option for you to consider is simply adding a receiver to your account for the RV and use the AM21 tuner for local stations as you move around. You just won't get network service via satellite when you are out of the spot beam for your locals.

#10 OFFLINE   raj2001

raj2001

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

I believe you can actually do it one of two ways -

Add the receiver to your home account and pay the $6 mirroring fee.

OR

Subscribe separately and pay (I think) about $60/month.

The second option can get you distants, but it's quite expensive. They also make you sign a declaration form and the want a copy of the registration.

The first option gets you locals while you're in your home area with some tracvision receivers that have a GPS to enforce it. I have one and if I drive out of the DMA I lose my locals. Note that this is enforced by the GPS in the antenna/receiver and is simply not because you drive out of the spotbeam footprint. You also get your spotbeam home locals, not NY or LA. In my case I am in NYC DMA so I get NYC locals but only when I am actually in NYC DMA.

Edited by raj2001, 04 February 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

If you stop at the same basic places, you can add a second or third address to your account like you had a vacation residence. Once you get to a different location, just call and let them know where you're at so they can change the address and refresh your locals.

#12 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Reading this thread makes my brain hurt! :eek2:

I have clients that take a receiver back and forth between summer and winter residences, and more often than not, getting the DMA changed is such an enormous headache, I just cringe whenever someone calls and wants me to help with their switchover. This is my least favorite thing after root canal.

Am I just unlucky, or is there some way of making these switchovers painless for me and the CSRs at DirecTV (and Dish) ??

Seems like most of the time, the first call goes great, the box changes DMA, and then the next day I get a call from my client, the box has either locked up, or just doesn't get any locals at all anymore. And then that second call takes an hour minimum, I have to talk to 4 different people, and it makes me want to slash my wrists.

:(

#13 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:13 AM

Reading this thread makes my brain hurt! :eek2:

I have clients that take a receiver back and forth between summer and winter residences, and more often than not, getting the DMA changed is such an enormous headache, I just cringe whenever someone calls and wants me to help with their switchover. This is my least favorite thing after root canal.

Am I just unlucky, or is there some way of making these switchovers painless for me and the CSRs at DirecTV (and Dish) ??

Seems like most of the time, the first call goes great, the box changes DMA, and then the next day I get a call from my client, the box has either locked up, or just doesn't get any locals at all anymore. And then that second call takes an hour minimum, I have to talk to 4 different people, and it makes me want to slash my wrists.

:(

unless you wait for the guide to download you have not been successful in changing the address. I.e. if you were successful in changing the service address the ird will immediately and spontaneously download guide data. It's why I will not ever change the address unless the customer is in front of the ird itself. The system will appear to "take" the change but again, unless you see the download occur and you see an auto-generated service request for account information change populate, the system will revert to the previous service address as soon as you are off the call.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#14 OFFLINE   supermod38

supermod38

Mentor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCentral VA.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

i use one of my receivers in my MH all the time. i must be an oddball but the local chs mean nothing to me. i don't watch them at home so on the road without locals is fine with me. if i want to see one of the lame-stream stations i have the wineguard on the roof for that.:D:D:D

i just don't see the big deal with the locals, for that matter HD is not a priority with me either.
YUP I'M ODD..............................:nono::nono:

I'm not here for a long time, just a GOOD time!
HR34 lease- Vizio 26"
C-31-lease-32" Emerson
HR24-owned-RCA 46"

H24- owned- :righton:

#15 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

Appreciate Malloy's help there.

Seems like a receiver attempting to look for signal in a spotbeam that it is no longer in can give the box indigestion. I've seen boxes in intermediate states of switching DMAs too. The box will have a few (or most) channels from one DMA and some channels from another. Most of my 'snowbird' clients are seniors and explaining the weirdness to them isn't much fun either.

Someone flying back from Arizona for a week at Christmas and then going back, I just tell the them to leave the box; for just a week, it ain't worth the drama.

:lol:

Have another client setting up a new motorhome for a 2 week vacation. I've suggested he take his H24 (no need of vibration testing a HDD) and I might just parental lockout his local channels before he goes!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...