Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Newbie question about Genie clients

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tool_army

tool_army

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

What's the advantage of using the Genie clients vs an HR25?

My contract is up in September and I'm wanting to get the HR44, but I was unsure if it's worth it to get the clients since they seem to use one of the Genie's tuners. The 5 tuners compared to my current 2 (HR22) is the main attraction, so why needlessly waste it when you could use a HR25 instead?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,272 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

What's the advantage of using the Genie clients vs an HR25?

My contract is up in September and I'm wanting to get the HR44, but I was unsure if it's worth it to get the clients since they seem to use one of the Genie's tuners. The 5 tuners compared to my current 2 (HR22) is the main attraction, so why needlessly waste it when you could use a HR25 instead?

The most salient disadvantage is that the H25 is a STB receiver and as such cannot do any live buffering (to pause or watch a program on delay for instance) or trick play (instant replay, frame advance, etc.) on the live feed, you would have to start a recording of the program on the HR44 from the H25 to buffer and trick play.

There are other more minor advantages of the RVU client as well, but that's the biggest one.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

What's the advantage of using the Genie clients vs an H25?

Genie clients give you full access to the Genie, that the H25 doesn't, which means you don't need to move to the Genie to make changes.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...